Does anybody have an idea of what will happen to Windows RT?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

From what I've seen the battery life isn't that fantastic. So yes, it "obliterates" the others at multitasking but that's it.

It has a nice screen but I can't even use it because it doesn't support the file formats I use for my videos (10bit H.264).

If it works for you then great! I think it's unfair to say that the only complaint people have is "no apps" though, and even if it was that's still a huge issue. In fact, it's the most common reason I hear people say when asked why they don't want to switch to a Linux distro.

I'm sad to hear that you didn't like my picture. If you like your Surface 2 then that's good. For some people like me the other products on the market are far superior though, including Windows 8 tablets.

Yeah but I use Netflix so the screen is all good.

An SP3 is next on the list, or 4 by that time.

Also heard rumors about a Surface Mini.

I am a Surface fanboy and I know it.

Yes, it can't run legacy apps, but so can't Android and IOS. Why does RT suffer this as a disadvantage and the other 2 don't?

Because they have a much more optimised interface and vastly superior App store

A tablet (or computer for that matter) lives and dies on its available software, and RT is too limited

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because they have a much more optimised interface and vastly superior App store

Still, the IU isn't bad at all, it is pretty good and has a great multitasking feature.

The app store is something personal..... I have never been somebody who uses a ton of apps, just some are needed for me.

Netflix, mail, browser, Spotify, maybe 1 game, some other standard apps, that is what I use.

LAwLz lurking makes me uncomfortable :ph34r:

Still, the IU isn't bad at all, it is pretty good and has a great multitasking feature.

The app store is something personal..... I have never been somebody who uses a ton of apps, just some are needed for me.

Netflix, mail, browser, Spotify, maybe 1 game, some other standard apps, that is what I use.

That is not enough functionality to spend all that money for me, I will stick to my iPad unless something better comes out, 

The UI is nowhere NEAR as slick as Android or IOS, its basically the windows 8 PC interface which is pointless, it even has a "desktop" for word and excel which is utterly useless and confusing

I would rather buy a 10" atom quad core windows 8 tablet

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ah, so it once again comes back to apps.

But it has Netflix, youtube, twitter, facebook, splashtop, and more of that standard jazz.

I get it if a person is all about the apps.

Doesn't mean you should neglect the entire rest of the OS.

yup, it's all about the apps. I know it has those apps, I use them on my Surface Pro 3, desktop and laptops. Works a lot better with any Android device when I want to use with split screen. Netflix is much better when I hook my device to TV.

I don't neglect the entire rest of the OS but I still get the entire rest of the OS with the x86 version. Windows RT is not bad, but x86 is better for me overall

Yes, but I doubt Atoms run as smooth as a Core i5/7  :P

It won't run as smooth as Corei5/i7, but trust me it isn't that bad. I tried my friend's Acer with last gen Atom, it's passable if were to replace Surface RT.

and like I said, it's based on my usage. If you're happy with your RT I'd say good for you. :)

By no mean, Windows RT is bad (except for the apps selection) but it just doesn't make sense to me when I can have extra Win32 compatibilty.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

That is not enough functionality to spend all that money for me, I will stick to my iPad unless something better comes out, 

The UI is nowhere NEAR as slick as Android or IOS, its basically the windows 8 PC interface which is pointless, it even has a "desktop" for word and excel which is utterly useless and confusing

I would rather buy a 10" atom quad core windows 8 tablet

I wouldn't, for the simple fact the hardware is essential for me (for me alone, I want it to be perfect), Pro 3 will come in 2015 for me hopefully.

Meanwhile, this offers great productivity for me,

yup, it's all about the apps. I know it has those apps, I use them on my Surface Pro 3, desktop and laptops. Works a lot better with any Android device when I want to use with split screen. Netflix is much better when I hook my device to TV.

I don't neglect the entire rest of the OS but I still get the entire rest of the OS with the x86 version. Windows RT is not bad, but x86 is better for me overall

It won't run as smooth as Corei5/i7, but trust me it isn't that bad. I tried my friend's Acer with last gen Atom, it's passable if were to replace Surface RT.

and like I said, it's based on my usage. If you're happy with your RT I'd say good for you. :)

By no mean, Windows RT is bad (except for the apps selection) but it just doesn't make sense to me when I can have extra Win32 compatibilty.

I know, of course full Windows is always better, that was never my point.

But as a student with not much to spend? Surface 2 does the job well for now.

I wouldn't, for the simple fact the hardware is essential for me, Pro 3 will come in 2015 for me hopefully.

Meanwhile, this offers great productivity for me,

The Pro 3 is a completely different beast, and is not comparable to an iPad OR surface RT

It offers very little productivity over any other tablet, I have full MS Office on my iPad though, if I was a Student I would rather get a cheap laptop instead

I know, of course full Windows is always better, that was never my point.

But as a student with not much to spend? Surface 2 does the job well for now.

By the time Microsoft forget about RT and replace them with Atom tablets with similar price tag, that's when the dreams come true.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

The Pro 3 is a completely different beast, and is not comparable to an iPad OR surface RT

It offers very little productivity over any other tablet, I have full MS Office on my iPad

Meh, surface looks better imo (fanboying but w/e)

The kickstand and type cover mean I don't have bring additional stands and keyboards, compact, that is the word I was looking for.

It's all compact and smooth and has a good builld quality.

By the time Microsoft forget about RT and replace them with Atom tablets with similar price tag, that's when the dreams come true.

Been hearing rumors about a Surface Mini.

they already exist, but MS wont do it as it will kill surface Pro sales

Meh, surface looks better imo (fanboying but w/e)

The kickstand and type cover mean I don't have bring additional stands and keyboards, compact, that is the word I was looking for.

It's all compact and smooth and has a good builld quality.

its good looking, heavy and thick though, the kickstand is ok, but not that different to using a smart cover, the type cover is expensive and any other tablet has decent keyboard options

Builty quality is excellent though I agree

its good looking, heavy and thick though, the kickstand is ok, but not that different to using a smart cover, the type cover is expensive and any other tablet has decent keyboard options

I just would not be able to deal with bringing a standalone keyboard when this one clicks in place sturdily, and does the job well, also being a screen protector when carrying.

But okay, that is hardware and not RT.

They go hand in hand with me.

So yeah, you can hate all day but at then of the day it obliterates IOS and Android in some aspects

Really? I can't think of any aspect it beats Android or iOS in except *maybe* the split screen apps. Too bad it doesn't have any good apps to use it with though, right?

Personally I hope RT dies a very quick and painless death.

It's terrible for media consumption. Last time I checked there were no good video players for it. The only decent Metro video player seems to be VLC but that didn't support Windows RT last time I checked (only x86 processors).

I couldn't find any decent comic reader apps either but maybe that has changed.

How is it better than iOS and Android for productivity exactly? On top of that, all tablets are awful for productivity (it's like saying HIV is better than AIDS).

No... It doesn't even have the bare essentials for a lot of people, and not everything is available through a web browser.

Android and iOS gets away with not running legacy programs because they have a good supply of programs already, and because nobody expected them to support let's say Windows programs. A lot of people buying a Microsoft RT device probably thinks they can run their Windows programs on it, and are then disappointed. Two out of two people I have spoken to with the Surface RT have said this. Not the best sample size but it means it does happen sometimes.

People were complaining about the lack of good apps on Android when that was new as well. An OS will get shit for, and deserve to get shit for not having any good programs to run on it. It doesn't matter what the reason is, if I as a consumer can't do the things I want then it's clearly not a good OS for me. At least not if I got other alternatives which can do the things I want.

You had to repeat being good at productivity?

Is the battery life excellent because of hardware or software? If it's software then do you have any way of backing that claim up?

Want some more arguments as to why I dislike Windows RT?

No apps - Already mentioned.

No good hardware - It's always one or more generations behind.

Confusion - Having a "Surface" and "Surface Pro" not being able to run the same things creates confusion, especially since the only difference between Samsung's regular and Pro tablets is that one has a stylus.

No app sideloading - I don't want to rely on Microsoft's store for all my apps. I have side loaded a bunch of things for my Android tablet.

Wait, Surface with Atom already exist? how did I miss this?

I just would not be able to deal with bringing a standalone keyboard when this one clicks in place sturdily, and does the job well, also being a screen protector when carrying.

Thus, that's why I really want to see Surface on Atom. With all the kickstands and type cover. Perfect cheap devices. For niche markets, Pros will serve them with proper active stylus.

Now I see how can it kill those Pros sales....

Its all part of the package, you dont need a standalone keyboard, there are decent keyboard cases for other tablets that have much more functionality and software, something like the logitech ultrathin which i cheaper than the RT keyboard

I just hate using a desktop feeling OS that has no desktop features, It just makes me WISH it was full windows 8,

I just dont see the point in RT existing

Its all part of the package, you dont need a standalone keyboard, there are decent keyboard cases for other tablets that have much more functionality and software, something like the logitech ultrathin which i cheaper than the RT keyboard

I just hate using a desktop feeling OS that has no desktop features, It just makes me WISH it was full windows 8,

I just dont see the point in RT existing

Ah yeah but I mainly bought it for office so....

Also netflix plays on it, for me there is no problem you see.

Different views I suppose.

I do agree about the covers being too expensive yes.

SNIP

100/10 best post ever, would read again

This is basically the problem with RT, for the average person they are confused, I had SO many returned to store with issues "oh can I install iTunes I need to sync my iPhone" "can my kid run minecraft on here" "can I install my printer on here" etc etc

Or people would return it, thinking it did everything an iOS or Android tablet could do, "does it have this app or game?" erm no... it has....erm....word

They should have made RT NOTHING like windows 8, instead of the windows 8 desktop interface, with like 7 apps

The hardware is out dated, the tablet is heavy and thick, and the keyboards are ridiculously priced and also pretty bad keyboards

I hope RT is gone forever, the Surface Pros are great devices, but the RT just lacks the stuff everyone wants

Really? I can't think of any aspect it beats Android or iOS in except *maybe* the split screen apps. Too bad it doesn't have any good apps to use it with though, right?

Personally I hope RT dies a very quick and painless death.

It's terrible for media consumption. Last time I checked there were no good video players for it. The only decent Metro video player seems to be VLC but that didn't support Windows RT last time I checked (only x86 processors).

I couldn't find any decent comic reader apps either but maybe that has changed.

How is it better than iOS and Android for productivity exactly? On top of that, all tablets are awful for productivity (it's like saying HIV is better than AIDS).

No... It doesn't even have the bare essentials for a lot of people, and not everything is available through a web browser.

Android and iOS gets away with not running legacy programs because they have a good supply of programs already, and because nobody expected them to support let's say Windows programs. A lot of people buying a Microsoft RT device probably thinks they can run their Windows programs on it, and are then disappointed. Two out of two people I have spoken to with the Surface RT have said this. Not the best sample size but it means it does happen sometimes.

People were complaining about the lack of good apps on Android when that was new as well. An OS will get shit for, and deserve to get shit for not having any good programs to run on it. It doesn't matter what the reason is, if I as a consumer can't do the things I want then it's clearly not a good OS for me. At least not if I got other alternatives which can do the things I want.

You had to repeat being good at productivity?

Is the battery life excellent because of hardware or software? If it's software then do you have any way of backing that claim up?

Want some more arguments as to why I dislike Windows RT?

No apps - Already mentioned.

No good hardware - It's always one or more generations behind.

Confusion - Having a "Surface" and "Surface Pro" not being able to run the same things creates confusion, especially since the only difference between Samsung's regular and Pro tablets is that one has a stylus.

No app sideloading - I don't want to rely on Microsoft's store for all my apps. I have side loaded a bunch of things for my Android tablet.

Apps- Personal, yes, there are not many apps, but that is no problem for me personally

Hardware- Nvidia Tegra 4 is plenty for the OS, of course it's behind, they stopped making them

Confusion- This I agree on, though that is Microsoft's fault for not properly explaining it to the masses.

I see no reason why things should be sideloaded

Media consumption wise you are talking videoplayer apps, I meant Netflix and Youtube, Spotify, etc.

Oh yes, I had to repeat that it was good at productivity in Office, because it simply is. It's a strong point which people would gladly forget to bash on the app store again.

Apps- Personal, yes, there are not many apps, but that is no problem for me personally

Hardware- Nvidia Tegra 4 is plenty for the OS, of course it's behind, they stopped making them

Confusion- This I agree on, though that is Microsoft's fault for not properly explaining it to the masses.

Media consumption wise you are talking videoplayer apps, I meant Netflix and Youtube, Spotify, etc.

Oh yes, I had to repeat that it was good at productivity in Office, because it simply is. It's a strong point which people would gladly forget to bash on the app store again.

You seem to be replying to people's points with the argument "it doesn't apply to me". Well you wanted to know why everyone is claiming RT is going to die and the answers are all in the previous posts, just accept those points are the general consensus and why the majority of consumers aren't interested.

You seem to be replying to people's points with the argument "it doesn't apply to me". Well you wanted to know why everyone is claiming RT is going to die and the answers are all in the previous posts, just accept those points are the general consensus and why the majority of consumers aren't interested.

Ok, well maybe I am the exception, I don't see much problems with RT besides the app problem and not running legacy apps.

I simply do not understand the sheer obsession with apps.

Well it is for me, and for many other people.

Just giving you and explanation of why me and some other people don't like it.

If you are already behind in terms of software then you should at the very least be pushing the same hardware as your competitors. Even if the Tegra 4 was enough, more is still better. On top of that, you are still behind your competitors.

I didn't think the hardware of the RT tablets were good even at launch. You have to stay ahead of your competitors at all times in the technology space. The quick updates and variety of hardware was probably one of the reasons why Android succeeded.

I do.

1) Not all apps gets approved for the store. Sideloading becomes the only option in these scenarios.

2) Old apps that gets removed because the developer removes it, or because it breached some TOS. Remember Flappy Bird?

3) Some apps are never uploaded to begin with. For example some apps that ships with manufacturer specific versions of Android (like TouchWiz or Sense) are never made available for other phones. Sideloading those apps might work just fine. That's just one example by the way. There are other reasons why some apps which could be uploaded to the app store never are.

4) Being able to install an app without having to be connected to the Internet can be pretty handy in some situations.

No I was more talking about media consumption in general.

There is no good Google Music player. There is no good comic reader (that I know of). There are no alternative browsers. No good video player.

It is decent if you only care about a few of the most popular online streaming services (Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and maybe 2-3 more) but for everything else it seems to be lacking. That's not what I would call good. It deserves to be called decent or mediocre at best.

But Office is on iOS and Android as well now. Even if it wasn't it's still a pretty poor area to be the best in because it's like I said, no tablet is good at that. It's like bragging about winning the special Olympics.

Lack of third party apps can be blamed on developers. Poor hardware can be blamed on manufacturers. Confusion between RT and regular Windows can be blamed on Microsoft. In the end, for me as a consumer I don't care who's fault it is. The product doesn't satisfy my needs and there are better products on the market. Therefore I won't buy a Windows RT device. It doesn't matter if you got 10,000 excuses as to why product X isn't as good as product Y. The only thing that matter is that product X isn't as good as product Y.

Right now I even think that Atom tablets with full Windows 8 is better than the RT tablets, and for that reason I don't see why RT should continue to exist.

Well it is for me, and for many other people.

Just giving you and explanation of why me and some other people don't like it.

If you are already behind in terms of software then you should at the very least be pushing the same hardware as your competitors. Even if the Tegra 4 was enough, more is still better. On top of that, you are still behind your competitors.

I didn't think the hardware of the RT tablets were good even at launch. You have to stay ahead of your competitors at all times in the technology space. The quick updates and variety of hardware was probably one of the reasons why Android succeeded.

I do.

1) Not all apps gets approved for the store. Sideloading becomes the only option in these scenarios.

2) Old apps that gets removed because the developer removes it, or because it breached some TOS. Remember Flappy Bird?

3) Some apps are never uploaded to begin with. For example some apps that ships with manufacturer specific versions of Android (like TouchWiz or Sense) are never made available for other phones. Sideloading those apps might work just fine. That's just one example by the way. There are other reasons why some apps which could be uploaded to the app store never are.

4) Being able to install an app without having to be connected to the Internet can be pretty handy in some situations.

No I was more talking about media consumption in general.

There is no good Google Music player. There is no good comic reader (that I know of). There are no alternative browsers. No good video player.

It is decent if you only care about a few of the most popular online streaming services (Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and maybe 2-3 more) but for everything else it seems to be lacking. That's not what I would call good. It deserves to be called decent or mediocre at best.

But Office is on iOS and Android as well now. Even if it wasn't it's still a pretty poor area to be the best in because it's like I said, no tablet is good at that. It's like bragging about winning the special Olympics.

Lack of third party apps can be blamed on developers. Poor hardware can be blamed on manufacturers. Confusion between RT and regular Windows can be blamed on Microsoft. In the end, for me as a consumer I don't care who's fault it is. The product doesn't satisfy my needs and there are better products on the market. Therefore I won't buy a Windows RT device. It doesn't matter if you got 10,000 excuses as to why product X isn't as good as product Y. The only thing that matter is that product X isn't as good as product Y.

Right now I even think that Atom tablets with full Windows 8 is better than the RT tablets, and for that reason I don't see why RT should continue to exist.

Oh no no no I wasn't tryiing to say you should buy it, just that I don't see much wrong for it for students who just need a tablet which can do the basic things and be an excellent Office/Skype device. (like me)

Of course full Windows is better but the only acceptable tabletform of Full windows for me is the Pro line of Surfaces because of the build quality.

For me RT is currently totally OK even though I crave for an SP3 so bad I have thought about selling my entire desktop.

Oh no no no I wasn't tryiing to say you should buy it, just that I don't see much wrong for it for students who just need a tablet which can do the basic things and be an excellent Office/Skype device. (like me)

Of course full Windows is better but the only acceptable tabletform of Full windows for me is the Pro line of Surfaces because of the build quality.

For me RT is currently totally OK even though I crave for an SP3 so bad I have thought about selling my entire desktop.

First you said it obliterates iOS and Android in some aspects and that the only complain you've heard is "no third party app", and now you're saying "there isn't much wrong with it for students who just need a tablet for Office/Skype".

There is a huge difference between those two statements.

I agree with you that if you only really need Office and Skype then it's decent. Not exactly something you'd proudly put on the box, right?