Does anybody have an idea of what will happen to Windows RT?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

From what I've seen the battery life isn't that fantastic. So yes, it "obliterates" the others at multitasking but that's it.

It has a nice screen but I can't even use it because it doesn't support the file formats I use for my videos (10bit H.264).

If it works for you then great! I think it's unfair to say that the only complaint people have is "no apps" though, and even if it was that's still a huge issue. In fact, it's the most common reason I hear people say when asked why they don't want to switch to a Linux distro.

I'm sad to hear that you didn't like my picture. If you like your Surface 2 then that's good. For some people like me the other products on the market are far superior though, including Windows 8 tablets.

Yeah but I use Netflix so the screen is all good.

An SP3 is next on the list, or 4 by that time.

Also heard rumors about a Surface Mini.

I am a Surface fanboy and I know it.

I mean, the OS itself really isn't that bad, meant for ARM devices etc. You know that when you buy a RT surface.

I wonder if it will get windows 10 or something?

Just saying:

-Multitasking: awesome, just great with the split screen

- Media consumption: Great too with that screen and the speakers

- Productivity: amazing, straight out beats the iPad and Nexus 7's

- Apps: not much, horrible, but they have the essential and mainstream apps, everything else is available via Web browser

Some people don't have the slightest idea of what defines 'a good OS'

Yes, it can't run legacy apps, but so can't Android and IOS. Why does RT suffer this as a disadvantage and the other 2 don't?

Productivity has the surface up there now the top.

Battery life is excellent.

Some people blindly jump on the hate bandwagon. The only argument I see is : No apps

That's it, That is the only disadvantage? I would take it any day

So yeah, you can hate all day but at then of the day it obliterates IOS and Android in some aspects

It will die cheap atoms and celerons have taken over ARM cpu's the market will be flooded with cheap laptops/tablets running full windows 8.1 /10

Shhh. Let it die quietly.

Nah, it's pretty okay, it gives better battery life, makes the device lighter not needing an Intel processor and just a great word processor and good for media consumption and multitasking.

Also not really needed for me but not such a big threat of getting viruses.

It will die cheap atoms and celerons have taken over ARM cpu's the market will be flooded with cheap laptops/tablets running full windows 8.1 /10

Not with the style/build quality of the Surface Line :P

Not with the style/build quality of the Surface Line :P

Nah even manufactures aren't interested in RT and arm

Nah, it's pretty okay, it gives better battery life, makes the device lighter not needing an Intel processor and just a great word processor and good for media consumption and multitasking

Its a gimped version of Windows that most people this is the full thing when buying a surface 2 and wondering later down the line why they can't do something.

I agree with letting it die or at least call it windows tablet or something, sorta like Windows phone.

Everyone dropped it in favor of x86 atom based ones.

Ah wel, I would be be okay with it staying this way.

It's still an okay OS imo.

Until I get my Surface Pro 3/4 that is :D

Its a gimped version of Windows that most people this is the full thing when buying a surface 2 and wondering later down the line why they can't do something.

I agree with letting it die or at least call it windows tablet or something, sorta like Windows phone.

Yeah, but that is their own fault for not doing research on the product ay?

It's still great for school.

Nah, it's pretty okay, it gives better battery life, makes the device lighter not needing an Intel processor and just a great word processor and good for media consumption and multitasking.

Also not really needed for me but not such a big threat of getting viruses.

But it isn't better than android or iOS in those aspects (convenience, media consumption, multitasking) and doesn't have the market share so no manufacturer cares that it's a competent platform.

Yeah, but that is their own fault for not doing research on the product ay?

It's still great for school.

Nah. Average consumers make up the most of the market and they're also idiots so you'd be a fool to expect them to do proper research.

But it isn't better than android or iOS in those aspects (convenience, media consumption, multitasking) and doesn't have the market share so no manufacturer cares that it's a competent platform.

How so? The split screen for multitasking I have only seen on Touchwiz so far, in that it is better for sure.

Media consumption...... They all play Netflix so... Device dependant, screen etc.

It is convenient, having such a light tab with a keyboard that clicks on magnetically instead of bringing tons of other solutions for typing or even a stand.

In my opinion it beats other tabs there.

Nah. Average consumers make up the most of the market and they're also idiots so you'd be a fool to expect them to do proper research.

Rather a fool than an idiot then :P

Not my fault they don't do research

Or nvm, I went off topic, talking about surface hardware, not RT itself.

I still don't understand why you want to go for RT when you can have x86 Atom tablet that basically can run Win32 stuff on top of WinRT rather than being limited to WinRT stuff.

Even if I were given a choice between Windows RT or Windows 8.1 on Intel Atom at the same price, I would be willing to pay extra for Windows 8.1 on Atom... sure, both probably has the similar capability in the end, I still can't run high end game on Atom but at least any application on Win32 runtime is still compatible.

If I really want an ARM device, I'll go for Android... for no other reason, application availability.

So, I agree... let the OS dies slowly...

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

I still don't understand why you want to go for RT when you can have x86 Atom tablet that basically can run Win32 stuff on top of WinRT rather than being limited to WinRT stuff.

Even if I were given a choice between Windows RT or Windows 8.1 on Intel Atom at the same price, I would be willing to pay extra for Windows 8.1 on Atom... sure, both probably has the similar capability in the end, I still can't run high end game on Atom but at least any application on Win32 runtime is still compatible.

If I really want an ARM device, I'll go for Android... for no other reason, application availability.

So, I agree... let the OS dies slowly...

Because Surface.

The hardware on the Surface series Is the best by far imo.

That it comes with RT is 'disadvantage' I would gladly take with it.

Besides, it's not bad at all, again, great for most mainstream stuff and freaking awesome for school.

If course a Pro is better but costs 2-3 times as much.

Also I have never seen such negativity, completely ignoring the strong points of the OS

Just saying:

-Multitasking: awesome, just great with the split screen

- Media consumption: Great too with that screen and the speakers

- Productivity: amazing, straight out beats the iPad and Nexus 7's

- Apps: not much, horrible, but they have the essential and mainstream apps, everything else is available via Web browser

Some people don't have the slightest idea of what defines 'a good OS'

Yes, it can't run legacy apps, but so can't Android and IOS. Why does RT suffer this as a disadvantage and the other 2 don't?

Productivity has the surface up there now the top.

Battery life is excellent.

Some people blindly jump on the hate bandwagon. The only argument I see is : No apps

That's it, That is the only disadvantage? I would take it any day

So yeah, you can hate all day but at then of the day it obliterates IOS and Android in some aspects.

Bash more.

Because Surface.

The hardware on the Surface series Is the best by far imo.

That it comes with RT is 'disadvantage' I would gladly take with it.

Besides, it's not bad at all, again, great for most mainstream stuff and freaking awesome for school.

If course a Pro is better but costs 2-3 times as much.

Also I have never seen such negativity, completely ignoring the strong points of the OS

Right now I'm confused, are we talking about Surface 2 and Surface RT hardware or the OS?

You can take it as negativity, but if the other side is greener why should I stay on this "green just fine field"? and before you see me as Microsoft hater, my environment right now is 100% Microsoft; Windows 8.1 Desktop, Windows 8.1 Laptop, Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia930, Surface Pro 3 and I've never been happier (probably because there's no RT in them)

and probably I should mention as well, all of these are an opinion based on my usage. Media consumption device? Windows 8.1 Atom tablet or Android tablets are my choices. Definitely not any Windows RT tablets. I'm not ignoring the strong points of the OS but the strong points in Windows RT is also in Windows 8.1 x86 (well, except for probably viruses and malwares though I have 0 problems with that as far as I built my own PC) and I'm getting extra Win32 compatibility.

I hope Microsoft just forget RT line up now and go with Atom based media consumption devices.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Right now I'm confused, are we talking about Surface 2 and Surface RT hardware or the OS?

You can take it as negativity, but if the other side is greener why should I stay on this "green just fine field"? and before you see me as Microsoft hater, my environment right now is 100% Microsoft; Windows 8.1 Desktop, Windows 8.1 Laptop, Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia930, Surface Pro 3 and I've never been happier (probably because there's no RT in them)

and probably I should mention as well, all of these are an opinion based on my usage. Media consumption device? Windows 8.1 Atom tablet or Android tablets are my choices. Definitely not any Windows RT tablets. I'm not ignoring the strong points of the OS but the strong points in Windows RT is also in Windows 8.1 x86 (well, except for probably viruses and malwares though I have 0 problems with that as far as I built my own PC) and I'm getting extra Win32 compatibility.

I hope Microsoft just forget RT line up now and go with Atom based media consumption devices.

Yes, but like I said earlier : the pro line costs way more, it just does.

I am saving up for one, but currently own a surface 2 again, and it is really great for what I want.

Look at the things I posted. It does have strong points, it is absolutely at the top for productivity, great battery, has the apps that most people need.

I am not yet looking for a Full blown ultrabook but people are bashing RT while it does have a lot of strong points.

Maybe your experience with the first RT tablet was Shit, which is totally understandable, but the 2 fixed the performance problems.

I'm going to tell you why RT suffer the disadvantage while Android and iOS don't.

Because Android and iOS managed to compensate that shortcoming with plenty of apps while Microsoft didn't tackle that area fast enough. Resulting Android and iOS gain the advantage. People aren't looking to run legacy applications, people wants the device to be able to run what they want. If there's a way to run, legacy or not, people don't care and will run it.

Yes, but like I said earlier : the pro line costs way more, it just does.

I am saving up for one, but currently own a surface 2 again, and it is really great for what I want.

Look at the things I posted. It does have strong points, it is absolutely at the top for productivity, great battery, has the apps that most people need.

I am not yet looking for a Full blown ultrabook but people are bashing RT while it does have a lot of strong points.

Maybe your experience with the first RT tablet was Shit, which is totally understandable, but the 2 fixed the performance problems.

Probably you should read again. I've never compared RT with Pros.

I always mentions Windows 8.1 x86 on Atom

I'm going to tell you why RT suffer the disadvantage while Android and iOS don't.

Because Android and iOS managed to compensate that shortcoming with plenty of apps while Microsoft didn't tackle that area fast enough. Resulting Android and iOS gain the advantage. People aren't looking to run legacy applications, people wants the device to be able to run what they want. If there's a way to run, legacy or not, people don't care and will run it.

Ah, so it once again comes back to apps.

But it has Netflix, youtube, twitter, facebook, splashtop, and more of that standard jazz.

I get it if a person is all about the apps.

Doesn't mean you should neglect the entire rest of the OS.

Probably you should read again. I've never compared RT with Pros.

I always mentions Windows 8.1 x86 on Atom

Yes, but I doubt Atoms run as smooth as a Core i5/7  :P