i7 3770 can I overclock?

I've got a i7 3770 @3.4 and I want to be able to over clock. What kind of cooling would I need to achieve a decent over clock? The only restrictions are that I've got Corsair Vengeance Ram and as many of us know the height issue they oppose to CPU heat sinks. I'm open to a closed loop water cooling solution, I must know which model and my computer case is a Rosewill Thor V2. Thanks! ;)

If it's not a K series you'll have a hard time overclocking that thing. Also do you have a Z77 chipset? You'll need a 3770K as well as a Z77 chipset in order to overclock

You can overclock it, just not massively at all. As above, you really need a 'K' series to achieve the 4Ghz+ overclocks.

With 3770 you can overclock it using the Bclk, but as stated above, that won't get you to 4Ghz ;)

i5 2500K - Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 - G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB- Asus GTX660 Ti - Crucial M4 256Gb

Alright my motherboard is a ASrock Extreme 4 Z77. Also what kind of heat sink would I need to get a maximum over clock on the 3770?

You must first find out if you're 3770 is a K-series or not? I have the 3770K and it's O.C. is at 4.6Ghz and thats pretty basic. I haven't tried pushing it yet.

But I have heard it can push upwards of 4.8 to 5.0Ghz. I'm using the Corsair H100i in push/pull.

You can overclock it, just not massively at all. As above, you really need a 'K' series to achieve the 4Ghz+ overclocks.
How do you OC a non K series cpu?, a friend of mine asked me a similar question last week and I said he couldn't (he has a 3570).

You can overclock it' date=' just not massively at all. As above, you really need a 'K' series to achieve the 4Ghz+ overclocks.[/quote']

With the BLCK, it's quite hard to do it well, becomes unstable alot easier than just upping the multiplier. It will also depend on your motherboard, ASrock are quite lenient in this regard i think. Don't quote me on that :P

It's generally not worth trying to overclock a non K series CPU as changing the BCLK affects other things as well.

It's a i7 3770 non-K edition and I just want a simple over clock for it that's all.

The max you'll get out of a 3770 will be 3.9ghz with intel turbo boost, because the non K edition chips have a locked multiplier... meaning the only way to OC is with the base clock and that wields very unstable results

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Try not to touch the Bclock.. I did and my usb mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. Don't frown... Think of your 3770 as a 3570k@4.6Ghz :D

Yeah now I'm really regretting buying this processor, the problem was that when the 3rd Gen. processors hit the market they were gone in minutes and there were only a few i7 3770's so I quickly bought one, I also had the motherboard nearly a week before the processor. And coming from a i5 650 processor this processor is a nice upgrade I guess I'll go get a H100i or preferably a H110 if my case can fit it. See if I can do any over clocks and also have a nice cool processor. Done case closed lol.

Yeah now I'm really regretting buying this processor' date=' the problem was that when the 3rd Gen. processors hit the market they were gone in minutes and there were only a few i7 3770's so I quickly bought one, I also had the motherboard nearly a week before the processor. And coming from a i5 650 processor this processor is a nice upgrade I guess I'll go get a H100i or preferably a H110 if my case can fit it. See if I can do any over clocks and also have a nice cool processor. Done case closed lol. [/quote']

Maybe see if you can sell it and buy an unlocked one.

Always wait if the thing you originally wanted to buy is out of stock :D I also learned that the hard way

Do not overclock sand or ivy by base clock. The memory controller will not thank you, and you may well damage your chip. Alas you need a K series to overclock either of those.

With 3770 you can overclock it using the Bclk, but as stated above, that won't get you to 4Ghz ;)
What do you mean by Bclk, are you refuring to the front side bus

Sell your 3770, get a 2600K, or 2700K, and 4.8GHz can be achieved very easily. 4.9, or 5.0 is also attainable with a bit of work. A SB 2600K at 4.8GHz will beat the pants off any 3770 stock, even most 3770K CPUs can't match a "properly" setup 2600K. 2600K can be had for $299 now brand new..

You also don't have nearly the same amount of thermal issues with SB vs IB.

The tradeoff of course is that you loose the advanced memory controller, and PCI-E 3.0 in the IB CPU, and also the HD 4000 GFX. I assume however that if you are looking to OC, then you likely are using a discreet card anyway. PCI-E 3.0 only becomes truly beneficial in Triple of Quad configurations anyway..

I own both a 2600K and a 3770K, and for OC potential, SB beats the IB hands down..

At the end of the day, a non-K 3770 is still a kick-ass CPU, and will run anything on the market without any issues whatsoever..

Well I think I'll stick with my 3770 and deal with it until the generation after Hasewell get's released and buy a K processor then. The only reason why I was even wondering about over clocking my 3770 is because I have dual 7970's and wanted to make sure my processor isn't bottlenecking my GPU's. I thought a OC might help my GPU's out, but I'll go get a after market cooler to at least help my processor stay cooler and be happy with what I've got.

AFAIK, you can increase the multiplier a bit locked chip. You can also use the base clock but that's very dangerous.

Baseclock ;)

i5 2500K - Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 - G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB- Asus GTX660 Ti - Crucial M4 256Gb

Hi there, i wonder if you can give a more advanced description on what the bck affects, i know it pumps up the ram, but if i went 0.2 ghz with the bck, that means from 100 to 106, will it run 24/7 no problems? i am testing it with prime right now, had it folding for 12 hours continuously, and also my ram went up from 1600 mhz to 1690 or smth, thanks for the advice :D

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

i think u can overclock the turbo multiplyer by 4 bin , but i think u would need a z77 to do it as well

Alright well I think I'll just wait for the H110 liquid cooler. Since I have a Z77 motherboard I'll crank my processor to it's limits and I don't really have a problem risking my computer because I really want to over clock my processor. :)