Steam Machine Pre Built or Custom PC

Hi all Linus people.

Been looking at some steam machines recently and many people have actually said that steam machines are price competitive to building your own?
I was like what isnt building always cheaper?

Does anyone know of steam machines that arent actually that bad price wise compared to building your own?

Thanks all :D

Hi all Linus people.

Been looking at some steam machines recently and many people have actually said that steam machines are price competitive to building your own?

Does anyone know of steam machines that arent actually that bad price wise compared to building your own?

Pre built if you don't have the time to, Custom if you do..simple really! 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Hi all Linus people.

Depends how you look at it, its almost impossible to get a build as small as the steam boxes, especially the Alienware Alpha for example, its impossible to get components 

Price wise, they are not that much more expensive than a custom build,

BUT if you dont care about size, you could possibly build something better for similar money, but it would be in a cheap matx case etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The pre-built ones will probably have a formfactor that is close to a console,
But if you build it by your own you probably cant get it as small But it will be cheaper.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I remember someone pricing all the parts used in a AlienWare and the parts for the same/similar build. I think the price gap was within 50 bucks.

Out of all of them this is the most interesting one I mean a full pc in that form factor. wow

Only sucky thing is no gpu upgrade >.<

Pre built if you don't have the time to, Custom if you do..simple really! 

Its not that I don't have the time its just the way they look and how small they are draws me to them :P

Depends how you look at it, its almost impossible to get a build as small as the steam boxes, especially the Alienware Alpha for example, its impossible to get components 

Price wise, they are not that much more expensive than a custom build,

BUT if you dont care about size, you could possibly build something better for similar money, but it would be in a cheap matx case etc

I do care about size and the only thing closest i have found is the RVZ01 but it just plain doesnt look as good as these steam machines to me :P

The pre-built ones will probably have a formfactor that is close to a console,

But if you build it by your own you probably cant get it as small But it will be cheaper.

Im stuck between the two want it to be small but still upgradeable its annoying haha :P

Here are a couple reasons for you choice

1) Price, prebuilt systems either save money or charge a premium, if it's over about $50 usually the premium isn't worth it if it's all store-bought parts

2) Special parts are included, I know the Digital Storm Bolt is small and looks sweet and same with alot of other steambox machines

3) You want to either have the experience of making a computer or don't want to or don't have the time

Honestly I like to build the systems myself even if it does come out even, although if the system is custom, in a small form factor, looks sweet and doesn't have too much of a premium I'd like to go with them.

Another option is just buying second-hand, you can save probably at least a third of the cost.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

Personally I'd always go custom, but that's just me. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Here are a couple reasons for you choice

1) Price, prebuilt systems either save money or charge a premium, if it's over about $50 usually the premium isn't worth it if it's all store-bought parts

2) Special parts are included, I know the Digital Storm Bolt is small and looks sweet and same with alot of other steambox machines

3) You want to either have the experience of making a computer or don't want to or don't have the time

Honestly I like to build the systems myself even if it does come out even, although if the system is custom, in a small form factor, looks sweet and doesn't have too much of a premium I'd like to go with them.

Another option is just buying second-hand, you can save probably at least a third of the cost.

Yeah that is true.

I do want to build a pc but main concern is wasting money :P

Id

Personally I'd always go custom, but that's just me. :)

Id like to go custom but to me for what i want (small console like) Mini ITX cases arent just as good as like the alienware alpha and stuff.

I'd like to go custom but to me for what i want (small console like) Mini ITX cases arent just as good as like the alienware alpha and stuff.

Well, I guess if you're on a tight budget, and can't afford to build a quality system yourself, then going pre-built with something like that probably makes sense. It's up to you though mate, it's ultimately your decision what you choose.

Good luck with whatever you end up going with. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Definitely custom, because i'm not sure how far a steambox is upgradable when it becomes outdated.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Im stuck between the two want it to be small but still upgradeable its annoying haha :P

Build it in a small case like this, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-217-AN&groupid=2362&catid=2279 Or this, http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=414

You probably wont get it smaller than that without buying a close to un-upgradable pre-built system.

I think some of the steamboxes is upgradable, But not by much.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Uh, what, a couple of hours one evening?

You don't know everyone's situation, some people could be knee deep in work. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I am going to do a watercooled APU build, so my suggestion is custom ofc. The pre-builts might be smaller, but the custom one is yours.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Then do it half hour every night over several nights. Or 20 minutes a night over a week.

There's zero excuse.

Custom all the way. Until actual Steam Machines come out, self-built PCs are still the way to go. Linux has really dodgy driver support for even basic graphics card setups and alienware... well, they're Alienware...

That is literally the oldest, laziest excuse in the book. "I don't have time" "I'm too busy". No one is that busy, no one. building your average computer takes an hour, two at most.

The alienware x51 can be bought second-hand for decent prices (like cheaper than the alpha and faster), so that'd be great to go with as it's just a standard itx chassis.

The alpha seems quite decent for it's price but I'd go for one with 8gb of ram and a quadcore, maybe an ssd depending on your budget however it's not really upgradable, apart from ram, and the 1150 cpu socket will be gone soon.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

Then do it half hour every night over several nights. Or 20 minutes a night over a week.

There's zero excuse.

Yeah, divide it into manageable chunks, I agree. But I do know some people that work to the bone and are too knackered to be able to do it. They barely manage to scrape in 20 mins gaming in a day. 

That is literally the oldest, laziest excuse in the book. "I don't have time" "I'm too busy". No one is that busy, no one. building your average computer takes an hour, two at most.

Don't be ignorant, there are some people who are that busy, you don't know everyone's situations. So for those with challenging time limited situations, to saved time, there is no problem in going pre-built. You don't need to be an elitist about it. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Would this steam machine be your main PC, or are you looking for something to stream games from an existing PC to your television?  If you want it to be your main, then definitely build it yourself.  If you're looking for something to stream, then I would recommend looking at the Gigabyte Brix line.  There are a ton of models to choose from, they have an excellent form factor (can even mount to your tv with a vesa bracket), and they are pretty fairly priced.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

If you are knee deep in work, why would you buy a steam machine which would be used for gaming? Seems not logical to me.