@People who have a server

AustinTheIntern

My server runs ESXi 5.1 and it has the following systems on it:

• Server 2008 R2 (TS and some game server)
  • Server 2008 R2 (Web media server)
  • Fedora (TM server)
  • Ubuntu server 12.04 (BIND 9)
  • Ubuntu server 12.04 (POUND proxy server)
  • Ubuntu server 12.04 (F@H)
  • XP (for legacy software)
  • Arch (testing)
  • Debian (testing)
  • Windows 7 (testing)
  • Server 2012 (testing)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I have two :) Debian 7.1 with KVM+Ganeti for fault tolerance. 

Used for testing and hosts my web,db,dc and internal stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use Proxmox VE. Essentially it is a VM server with a web based console similar to VMware VSphere. Also has easy expandability, high availability, reliability, and its free! I highly recommend at least taking a look at it. Right now I run 3 full time servers, two linux and one windows. 

http://proxmox.com/

Ubuntu server edition. Because it is free and all I use it for is minecraft.

Server: dell power edge 860

Window Home server 2011.
Easy and simple management/backups for PCs in the house and media streaming to devices. I've not had a lot of experience with other servers though to tell how good it is in comparison to them.

Windows server 2012

for a minecraft, cod4 and ts3 server

+ some random gameservers myself and my friends feel like playing.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I use Windows 2008 because I use only files programs such as Keylogger etc :p

Virtualization: OpenVZ containers, because of low overhead

Webserver: apache 2.4 with mod_passenger for my rails applications

I just use the built in file sharing features of windows 7, my brothers PC has all the TV shows that I down load, and my has ROMs and other random stuff.

I'm currently using Red Hat Enterprise, I use it for its amazing cross-platform support. It gets accessed from Android, Windows PC's, Mac's and A Ubuntu Server.

It acts as a domain controller, file server, FTP, Web server, End point antivirus, Minecraft & currently working on mail server.

Its a Opteron 8389,

32GB of ECC memory,

16 TB Raid 6 array,

In a rack with a single 24 port switch.

The rack takes up more room than its worth but it looks cool.

It backs up to a dual core machine running Windows server 2003 R2 at an Offsite backup location.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

If youre a student you can get Windows Server 2008 for free from Dreamspark. It is much more suited for use on a server than the normal Windows 7 desktop OS.

Not just Server 2008, you can get Server 2012 and whichever are the currently supported releases. Currently 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and soon to be 2012 R2.

1xp machine running torrents and minecraft servers (will add a card for it to fold on later)

~Judah

ESXi 5.1 hypervisor which virtualizes:

• router (pfSense 2.0.3);
  • web server (Debian 6.0.7);
  • mail server (Debian 6.0.7);
  • Minecraft servers (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS);
  • Team Fortress 2 server (Debian 6.0.7);
  • Enemy Territory server (CentOS (6.4);
  • IRC + TeamSpeak3 server (Debian 6.0.7);
  • file sharing / backup server (Windows 2008 R2).

My hardware and software choices were based on stability and flexibility (Ubuntu and CentOS just for testing). A lot of it is complex software, but it is easy to manage if you just want to setup simple stuff, especially for home use, and have room for improvement as well. Gonna switch from Windows to FreeNAS as soon as I put together a decent amount of hard drives.

I use ubuntu server because I find it the more stable and easy solution, but that's just for me. It does have some issues with streaming media to mobile devices from time to time though which is a pain

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Recently built a Freenas Server, and use it for file sharing and as a dlna server

while (true) {

live();

}

Recently built a WHS2011 for media and windows backup but I also have virtual machine that runs Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS, mainly to run ssh sftp vpn munin test websites.

It really depends on what you need, you should look into what you want to run on your server (like media storage backups etc...) then you can figure out which os suits you the best. Also unix systems take a bit of work to get working correctly

I'm using Arch Linux and ZFS via ZFS on Linux. I did experiment around with FreeBSD

a bit, but I don't yet have the experience to really use it in a production environment.

I've been using Arch for more than two years, so I feel pretty comfortable with it,

and it's been working great for me so far.

More info here, build log here.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 6 months later...

Had been running WHS 2011, then upgraded to Server 2012 R2 DataCenter, with Server Essentials Role installed.  Hyper-V is enabled as well and have several VM's currently running on it for things like torrents, App-V, Remote Desktop Services, WSUS, and a media server.  It works very well for me so far. 

Using Ubuntu to host a VM minecraft server and as a dedicated F@H machine

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

At home I got a NAS running RAIDiator. I also run some server applications on my desktop (Windows 7) such as H@H [sic], torrents, game servers from time to time and stuff like that.

For school I borrow lots of different ones for example VPN concentrators using Cisco's IOS to Windows Server 2008 r2 for AD/DC/RADIUS and stuff like that.

RHEL 6.4 servers.  physical machines - no VMs yet although I've been experimenting with them.  I want to build a nice 6-8 core server to host multiple guest servers.  I would love to do something like @looney is doing with ESXi, but the "free" version of ESXi had some limitations last I checked and compliance is strict.  The paid ESXi version was way too expensive for me.  So I'll probably use Virtual Box ontop of RHEL.

Here is the main stuff we have on our RHEL servers now:

- Subversion repositories to keep track of ALL our code/documentation. *using https integration with Tortoise on the Window clients

- Oracle 11.2.0.3 database instances (dev/test plain vanilla instances plus one used by EBS for APPS).

- Oracle EBS 12.1.3

We use these in our small family business to develop, test, and proof of concepts, etc

I'm still trying to work out best method for backing up our systems.  Here is what I have so far:

- Realtime synchronize each Windows workstation Subversion repository (code & documentation) to "cloud"... corporate dropbox

- Weekly full baremetal system backups of each server using Clonezilla (requires shutting down server and booting into Clonezilla).  I want to figure out how to automate this.  Or, I learn how to use bacula.

- Nightly scheduled cronjob to rsync some essential folders from each server to labeled folders on each of the other servers. 

- Nightly scheduled cronjob to svnsync the Subversion repository to each of the other servers.  If the main SVN server goes down we can immediately jump to a mirrored repository on one of the other servers.

There is some redundancy in the above backups, but I've learned it is best to have multiple means of recovery.  If only one method were used and if it failed then that would be very bad, obviously.

2x Gentoo storage/KVM nodes.

One of these boxes also runs my desktop machine as a VM. The host has a dedicated graphics card that is passed to this VM. Otherwise, the two servers are roughly the same.

Each box runs ZFS on Linux for storage and NFS exports.

Each has the same network configuration - br0 on the LAN VLAN, br1 on the WAN VLAN

Ideally I would have data replicated from one box to the other but that is not happening now - they have different data due to overall lack of storage space. It would cost around $1-2k more to make this happen :/

I have 2 VMs that run on either server and can migrate around as needed for increased availability. Most functions live on these VMs:

Routing for WAN and LAN network

DHCP

BIND

rtorrent

MPD and icecast

Unifi WAP controller and freeradius

Squid

2x Gentoo storage/KVM nodes.

One of these boxes also runs my desktop machine as a VM. The host has a dedicated graphics card that is passed to this VM. Otherwise, the two servers are roughly the same.

Each box runs ZFS on Linux for storage and NFS exports.

Each has the same network configuration - br0 on the LAN VLAN, br1 on the WAN VLAN

Ideally I would have data replicated from one box to the other but that is not happening now - they have different data due to overall lack of storage space. It would cost around $1-2k more to make this happen :/

I have 2 VMs that run on either server and can migrate around as needed for increased availability. Most functions live on these VMs:

Routing for WAN and LAN network

DHCP

BIND

rtorrent

MPD and icecast

Unifi WAP controller and freeradius

Squid

How much storage do you currently have?

#!