More Samsung 850 EVO SSD Details Emerge

AlRayes_BRN

41a.jpg

More details emerged, of Samsung's next mainstream SSD, the 850 EVO. The drive will launch in five capacities, starting with 120 GB, and including 250 GB, 500 GB, 750 GB, and 1000 GB variants. Built in the 7 mm-thick, 2.5-inch, form-factor, with SATA 6 Gb/s interface, the drive will be based on Samsung's next-generation 3-bit 3D V-NAND chips, with an updated in-house made controller. The drive is now expected to launch some time in January, 2015. It will offer lower price-per-GB than the 850 Pro series, and slightly lower performance; targeting the mainstream market.

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

Make me wonder how much they will really cost. 

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

It will offer lower price-per-GB than the 850 Pro series, and slightly lower performance

So basically it will perform like any other regular SSD on the market right now...

The Pro was not much faster than all the other SSDs in the first place...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So basically it will perform like any other regular SSD on the market right now...

The Pro was not much faster than all the other SSDs in the first place...

Yeah correct, unfortunately thats the limitation of SATA III 6Gbps.

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

My 840 EVO boots up my OS from pushing the button to desktop in 4 seconds. I'm not quiet sure how much "faster" these new drives are gonna be getting. 

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

My 840 EVO boots up my OS from pushing the button to desktop in 4 seconds. I'm not quiet sure how much "faster" these new drives are gonna be getting. 

Yeah and with them hitting the Sata-data limit , I do wonder WHY the 850 series exists in the first place. There is only so much more performance you can squeeze out of sata cables atm.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Make me wonder how much they will really cost. 

Just got a promo email from Newegg (All prices US).

120GB: $89.99

250GB: $139.99

500GB: $249.99

1TB: $469.99

post-124185-0-99575900-1418063407.png

I ordered the 500 gb  it still scored pretty high for performance but the realability of these drives is nice 5 yr for the evo and 10 yr for the pro 4tlr3k.jpg

You can go buy them on newegg and there is tons of info about them there...

Putting the marketing aside, the 850 model is newer technology that mitigates wear and tear risk; meaning the 850's will last longer than the 840's.  Speed increases is *not* why you would upgrade from an 840 to an 850.