The Renovation of Deep Thought

Hey there,

This is the modification of my spare computer that I decided to repurpose as a coin miner

Current spec

• Sapphire 990FX Pure Black motherboard
  • AMD 8150 CPU
  • 16 Gb 1600MHz DDR3
  • 2x 7970 3Gb Sapphire GPUs
  • OCZ Vertex 3
  • Xigmatech 1500W PSU (I know a fool and his debit card are great friends)
  • Fractal Define R3

Water cooling parts

• Koolance for the ram and universals (+dremal) for the FETs
  • Watercool universals for the chipsets
  • EK Nickel Plexi for the 7970s and CPU
  • Alphacool heat master 2 fan controller
  • 2x ehim compact 600 pumps
  • 4x 3x140 AMS copper rads with akasa viper fans

post-9383-0-02574500-1371321201_thumb.jp

post-9383-0-73355500-1371321253_thumb.jp

post-9383-0-39926500-1371321317_thumb.jp

As you can see by the pictures it was not that... polished and another part of this project was to get away from spagetti town

This is the inside of the case

post-9383-0-90158900-1371322277_thumb.jp

post-9383-0-15640300-1371322322_thumb.jp

Be kind it was my first attempt

Looks like a PC Bane would like.

My specs:Fractal Define R4, i5 2550k, Asus GTX 560ti 2GB, Samsung 840 pro 120GB SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM ,Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Corsair 600w PSU

the compact 600s on the striped and dusted rad

DSC00746.jpg

Let there be laing

DSC00748.jpg

The compact 600 together give head of 2.6M and are rated at 1200 l per hour

One Laing D5 gives head of 3.7M and is rated at 1500 l per hour So two should increase the flow rate a bit

A couple of noctua NF-A14s

DSC00755.jpg

And the Akasas too as I don't have anything else to use them for :+/

DSC00762.jpg

Lastly filters grills and decorative LED fans

3cf856bb-6cc9-4293-a4cc-4d85071f7399.jpg

I know the filters look crappy outside the grill but inside they foul the fans

Stay tuned for the fan controller enclosure and of course the loop

u crazy mofo. . . can't wait to c it completed 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Looking at the first pictures thinking "You gotta put the parts inside the case". Looks like an interesting build.

wait... does stacking fans even work properly as an exhaust? I guess if the Akasa run faster than NF-A14s, they'll pull air away....

You should just build this into your wall! Looking beast though so far, cant wait to see it finished!

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

Thanks for the comments :+) I don't know if stacking fans will work I'll try with and without to see if it is worth the power. I usually only put the front ones on to scare off women.

This week I have finished the enclosure for the fancontroller

DSC00793.jpg

On top is the bracket for  the res, also holes for pipe and cables in the side

and just cables in the other

DSC00794.jpg

I'll jam it in something like this threading directly into the res

DSC00796.jpg

I had a look at the CPU block

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

That is going to need a clean and is telling me I need to do a tubing and coolant change. I was hoping to dodge that. I hooked out the GPU blocks too

DSC00792.jpg

No where near as bad.

I guess plexi tops are practical as well as looking good

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Box shot

DSC00816.jpg

a quick look at the card reveled a problem: Non reference PCB :+( here is a comparison, top one is reference

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

Custom PCB to me means MSI lightning edition it never occurred to me a cheap ass  card would have one.

The net result was the lovely CSQ waterblocks don't fit. They could be made to fit but the enclosure shows I am all thumbs with tools. So I turned to one of my real skills Google-fu. I found not only do specific waterblocks exist they were in-stock at a shop I am familiar with. Skipping the beauty shot, I ran into another snag

DSC00812.jpg

So I ordered two of the reference versions of the same block. Here is one of each

DSC00824.jpg

And this is your brain with thermal compound

DSC00827.jpg

And this is 4 brains with waterblocks

DSC00833.jpg

I have also flushed the loop and rads

DSC00799.jpgDSC00802.jpg

I'm going to miss pretty aurora

DSC00808.jpg

Next up sleeveing and reassembly

It seems you have access to a PC warehouse like FrozenCPU, pick me up some Akasa Apache 120mm in black please and on you way back pick up a broom. Now about the gunk in your waterblocks, how did that get like that and how are you cleaning it?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Wha.... but.... the....

my brain hurts, too extreme :p

I have a laptop that sucks because I'm broke.

I don't really like the tubing (sorry) but the rest of the build is just awesome and i love your radiator :DD

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

It seems you have access to a PC warehouse like FrozenCPU, pick me up some Akasa Apache 120mm in black please and on you way back pick up a broom. Now about the gunk in your waterblocks, how did that get like that and how are you cleaning it?

I have a yellow one

DSC00838.jpg

Cant remember what my master plan for it was

the blocks now look like this

DSC00835.jpg

and this

DSC00837.jpg

The brown was discoloration from the dye or aurora stuff and came of with a scrub form the steel and isopropylalcohol from the nickel. The green didn't seem organic (not slimey) more like some gentle corrosion (nickel and copper salts can be green) and washed away easily. Some more of the granular stuff out when I flushed the loop. When you run aurora you use no filter so I assume it is what would be in the filter if I used one

I love the mass ghetto rad you got there.

Glad your blocks turned out alright too. Sick build; keep it up!

Audio Setup---- Marten Django XL speakers: Conrad-Johnson LP125M power amp: Convergent Audio Technology SL1 Renaissance preamp: Clearaudio Ovation & Clarify turntable

Nice and clean blocks again and that algae that was growing. That is why i don;t use any coolant other than just distilled water with a silver coil. Regarding those Akasa Apache fans how quiet and is the static pressure as good as advertised? I want to change my noisy, vibration filled XSPC 1650 fans for the black 120mm versions. 

Nice and clean blocks again and that algae that was growing. That is why i don;t use any coolant other than just distilled water with a silver coil. Regarding those Akasa Apache fans how quiet and is the static pressure as good as advertised? I want to change my noisy, vibration filled XSPC 1650 fans for the black 120mm versions. 

You have surface tension to overcome with straight distilled

I would rate the fans as not quiet and they don't under volt that well -but my controller is three pin not PWM- But they do move a lot of air

Piling one fan on top of a different type of fan will damage them, one fan having too much air pushed through it damages the mechanism inside, if you're stacking fans, they need to be of the same type.

You have surface tension to overcome with straight distilled

I would rate the fans as not quiet and they don't under volt that well -but my controller is three pin not PWM- But they do move a lot of air

What is this surface tension you are speaking of with distilled water? My distilled water is laboratory grade and i plan to start using de-ionized water soon.

Piling one fan on top of a different type of fan will damage them, one fan having too much air pushed through it damages the mechanism inside, if you're stacking fans, they need to be of the same type.

I don't understand how two fans being identical would stop the damage, surely any rear fan would be damaged

Yo Dawg, I heard you liked rads, so I put rads on your rads!      This is absolutely crazy, but it's also awesome at the same time.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society