Best Linux distro for old PC

I'm looking at getting my old Pentium 3 back up and running with windows 98 and a Linux distro in dual boot. What distro would be the best one to use? It has a;Jetway 994AN-L motherboard, pentium 3 667MHZ (2xslot 1 celerons spare and a socket 370 500MHz celeron), 288MB RAM, Stealth 3 S540 32MB, 80GB HDD in master, 85MB in slave, 1 floppy disk drive and a cd rewritable drive. The main things I'm looking for is performance, being able to install standard linux programs (.deb/.rpm based) and great compatibility with various PCI/ISA cards.
The expansion cards currently in use (the bottom card is a ISA game port/midi/sound card):

post-155575-0-84357700-1417938199_thumb.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I would say Lubuntu, there may be some lighter distros but it's a good choice. Ubuntu is widely supported and easy to use, and Lubuntu is Ubuntu with a desktop enviroment that is less intensive for older pcs :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Lubuntu, or anything ubuntu actually. Puppy is really nice for old and horribly outdated computers.

Thanks. I tried Lubuntu and it seemed to work well, just need to get the linux drivers now and I should have the beginnings of a decent media center/ DOS gaming rig.

Edit: Windows 98 decided to stop working, so I'm using windows xp. It turns out that the computer is over double the recommended requirements and works well.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL