Pentium G3258 or Athlon X4 860K?

Weeset
Go to solution Solved by TrulyNolan,

I would prefer getting an unlockable Pentium and overclocking it. I'm sure you could beat the performance of a locked i3 with an OC'd G3258, and then we OP decides to upgrade, he won't be wasting as much money on an i3 as he would the G3258.

Just my personal opinion. Since I make A LOT of budget builds, I'd recommend the Pentium.

I plan on making a computer mostly for gaming, and I'm deciding whether I should get the G3258 with the Asus B85M-G R2.0 or the 860K with the MSI A78M-E45. Is it true that you'll be able to get a good overclock with just the stock cooler for the Pentium? Is the board I'm looking at good for the purpose of overclocking? I know the Pentium is a duo core and the Athlon is a quad core, so would that make a big difference in performance?

G3258 clocked the snot out of with a hyper 212 evo and a decent descrete gpu would be my choice :)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

As much as I love the Athlon, I do think the G3258 is a monster when overclocked. The BeQuiet Pure Rock is also a great option for cooling and same price as the EVO.

I plan on making a computer mostly for gaming, and I'm deciding whether I should get the G3258 with the Asus B85M-G R2.0 or the 860K with the MSI A78M-E45. Is it true that you'll be able to get a good overclock with just the stock cooler for the Pentium? Is the board I'm looking at good for the purpose of overclocking? I know the Pentium is a duo core and the Athlon is a quad core, so would that make a big difference in performance?

If you plan to get the G3258 i advise that you should get a Z board

Pros of getting G3258

-OC like hell

-you can upgrade down the road like an i7 or an i5

-cheap

some cpu intensive games like BF4 could benefit from the 860k's 4cores but its better to have less stronger cores than many weak cores

I would've bought the G3258 If it was released before I bought my rig last summer

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

If you plan to get the G3258 i advise that you should get a Z board

Pros of getting G3258

-OC like hell

-you can upgrade down the road like an i7 or an i5

-cheap

some cpu intensive games like BF4 could benefit from the 860k's 4cores but its better to have less stronger cores than many weak cores

Would the MSI Z97 PC MATE be a good option?

That is a overused videos that basically proves nothing. Plus i hate his voice. G3258 if your upgrading to Broadwell/Haswell. 860k For long term

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

Are you gonna upgrade to a i5/i7?

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

Are you gonna upgrade to a i5/i7?

Perhaps in the future.

Perhaps in the future.

How exactly "long" is this future? IF its very near, then i'd get the G3258. If you plan to use it for about a year or more, i'd get a i3 instead. Get a Z97 board if you wanna SLI or Xfire in the future, and with a bios update in the future you can get a Broadwell i5 "K"

Perhaps in the future.

Then go with G3258; get a Z board

When there's a sale or when you have enough money go buy an i5 or i7

And get a discrete CPU cooler

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

That is a overused videos that basically proves nothing. Plus i hate his voice. G3258 if your upgrading to Broadwell/Haswell. 860k For long term

Ew he used a 285 to overcome GPU bottlenecks while gaming on ultra presets in modern games!? It's a good price-to-performance card and would make sense with those CPUs given the budgets involved but your GPU needs to be way overkill to ensure you produce meaningful statistics out of a test like this!

Ew he used a 285 to overcome GPU bottlenecks while gaming on ultra presets in modern games!? It's a good price-to-performance card and would make sense with those CPUs given the budgets involved but your GPU needs to be way overkill to ensure you produce meaningful statistics out of a test like this!

I agree. I also feel like an Nvidia card could show different performances.

I agree. I also feel like an Nvidia card could show different performances.

Potentially, yes. it's definitely worth demonstrating both, if only to discount the possibility.

Potentially, yes. it's definitely worth demonstrating both, if only to discount the possibility.

I used a G3258 for my friend's build which currently houses a GTX 650 Ti. We ran a few games like LoL, DayZ, and ArcheAge. Popped in my 260X, same thing, and even being fairly similar cards, the 650 Ti ran at about...5 FPS higher.

I used a G3258 for my friend's build which currently houses a GTX 650 Ti. We ran a few games like LoL, DayZ, and ArcheAge. Popped in my 260X, same thing, and even being fairly similar cards, the 650 Ti ran at about...5 FPS higher.

Speaking of GPU's, would a 750 ti be a good choice for the G3258? I've decided to get it. Also, the Pentium only $57 right now on Amazon. Wow!

Speaking of GPU's, would a 750 ti be a good choice for the G3258? I've decided to get it. Also, the Pentium only $57 right now on Amazon. Wow!

I wouldn't, personally, unless it's for power consumption reasons. It's quite a bit more expensive than the R7 260X and performs very similarly, and if that's a price point you're happy to go with then I'd sooner recommend the very similarly priced R9 270(X) for a much smoother gaming experience.

give us a budget and we'll help

Oh, I forgot about the budget. My budget is around $700 total with Windows and a monitor. I live in Hawaii, so I guess Amazon is my best friend.

Oh, I forgot about the budget. My budget is around $700 total with Windows and a monitor. I live in Hawaii, so I guess Amazon is my best friend.

Woops, I mean I have around $500 for the components of the build.

Newegg apparently ships to Hawaii but only with 1 or 2 day guaranteed shipping (might be pricey around $40).

Newegg 2 Day (UPS/FedEx)

• Newegg 2 Day (UPS/FedEx) - Delivery within 2 business days.
  • Your order will ship either via UPS or FedEx and will default to the cheapest available carrier and you will be charged accordingly.
  • UPS ships to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico via UPS Ground and UPS 2nd Day only.
  • FedEx ships to Hawaii and Alaska via FedEx 2Day only and cannot provide an exact delivery time. FedEx ships to Puerto Rico via FedEx International Economy only.
  • Newegg 2 Day (UPS/FedEx) - Delivery within 1 business day.
  • Your order will ship either via UPS or FedEx and will default to the cheapest available carrier and you will be charged accordingly.
  • UPS ships to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico via UPS Ground and UPS 2nd Day only.
  • FedEx ships to Hawaii and Alaska via FedEx 2Day only and cannot provide an exact delivery time. FedEx ships to Puerto Rico via FedEx International Economy only.

If you can do some research on that and see if you can in fact order from Newegg here's a decent build.

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($36.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $535.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 15:00 EST-0500

$531.93 (Build) + $40 (Shipping) + $100 (Monitor) = $671.93

I left out the OS as you can run Windows 10 Preview for the time being which will help dump $100 extra into better hardware.

I would suggest targeting an i3 build as it will walk all over the 860k and the G3258 even overclocked balls to the walls.