SSD vs HDD for gaming..

ledzz

Hi guys thinking of getting a 1TB SSD for gaming, is this worth it? or are load times on a 7200rpm drive good enough?

Also does it affect pop in? thanks

Not worth it to put games on. Get a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive and save your pennies. The 256GB SSD should deal with the games that have ridiculously long loading times (BF4). 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Not worth it to put games on. Get a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive and save your pennies. The 256GB SSD should deal with the games that have ridiculously long loading times (BF4). 

SSD for all you programms + some games u use often.loading time is really good and windows boot up in a few seconds :)

+ssd doesnt make noise ^^

Hi guys thinking of getting a 1TB SSD for gaming, is this worth it? or are load times on a 7200rpm drive good enough?

A 1Tb SSD will be the fastest option, but its also the costliest. If you want the best bang per buck, then a SSD + HDD set up will be good. You can pair a 128-256Gb SSD with a 1-2Tb HDD and you will get much more storage for games and such, and have a speedy OS with the SSD, but it will cost roughly half of the 1Tb SSD. The HDD only would be the cheapest option, but its also the slowest(its fine, just not fast).

You won't get more FPS on ethier, with an SSD will load faster, with an HDD you'll most likely have more space, it depends on what you prioritize.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

With SSDs being extremely cheap (~$350 for 1TB) I would recommend getting one, if it's in your budget.

With the steam sale that just occured and the sizes of newer titles (20GB+) you're not going to be putting many games + an OS on a 256GB SSD

Nowadays, I would only recommend getting an HDD if you plan on backing up content creation work or building a NAS/HTPC

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Entirely depends on the game. Basically I bought an ssd recently entirely for putting games on. However I only plan on putting games on it that have really bad load times. For example crysis 3 has pretty bad load times on a hard drive, or any source engine game ever. Typically anything that gets around 20+ seconds I will move to it unless it's one load screen per game boot. Cut loads for AC unity from about a minute to about 6-7 seconds for me. Bu then there are games like sniper elite 3 that have load times 4-5 seconds on a hard drive. So unless you constantly play something with long loading times I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Some people will tell you it wont make a difference, I have a SSD for gaming and loading times are faster

I am going to be one of those people :D but it does depend on the game.

I have a SSD and a HDD just for games.

All my games load faster on my HDD (without an OS) as that harddrive doesn't need to run the os it can use all its performance on the game. Now I have a few games that benefit from SSDs and that is because their load times on the HDD was INSANE (Total War:Rome II being one of them) So that game and a few others are on my gaming SSD, but the rest stay on the HDD as they load fast as it is, don't see a reason to put them on the SSD.

Personally I wouldn't bother getting a SSD bigger than 120GB or 240GB. I would rather get 2x 2TB drives and RAID them.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I am going to be one of those people :D but it does depend on the game.

I have a SSD and a HDD just for games.

All my games load faster on my HDD (without an OS) as that harddrive doesn't need to run the os it can use all its performance on the game. Now I have a few games that benefit from SSDs and that is because their load times on the HDD was INSANE (Total War:Rome II being one of them) So that game and a few others are on my gaming SSD, but the rest stay on the HDD as they load fast as it is, don't see a reason to put them on the SSD.

Personally I wouldn't bother getting a SSD bigger than 120GB or 240GB. I would rather get 2x 2TB drives and RAID them.

I have 2 SSDs, one for OS and the other for gaming :)

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

I would say HDD it's just the load times are little bit faster on SSD so it isn't worth it for me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I run Battlefield 4 on an SSD and I have noticed much faster load times compared to my HDD.

Game load times are influenced by a lot of things; storage performance is only one of them. In some games, it will make a huge difference. In others, less.

Object/texture pop-in could be storage-limited in some cases, but often its just coded into the game engine and no amount of hardware can fix it. Even so, I'd expect VRAM followed by system RAM to be more likely to affect that than storage.

I don't think having a 1 TB SSD is a terrible idea if you've got the money for such a thing, but just bear in mind that the biggest and most consistently noticeable improvements with an SSD are to system responsiveness and application use. Games sometimes benefit, and sometimes not. If this is just for gaming, it may be a better investment to put some of that money into a better GPU or processor.

This is what I do and would recommend. OS and games on the SSD, videos, pictures and music on the HDD.

Unless you don't care about the money, in which case SSD RAID because why not!

I don't think a 1TB SSD is worth it cause they're still pretty expensive.  But keep an eye out for 500ish GB SSD's.  If you find a good deal on one I think its worth it.  I bought my 480GB for $140 on a Tiger Direct sale a couple years ago.  I guess you can keep an eye out for deals on a 1TB SSD, but those are pretty rare to come by...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Yeah some games "need" an SSD to play, example is fallout new vegas with texture mods will stutter if you have it on an HDD and not SSD. An SSD is far more than just loading times

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

HDDs are fine for gaming there is no benefit to a SSD minus loading.

You could go the route that I have. Have a large HDD and cache it with a small ssd.

I mean you could buy a 2nd video card for the price of a 1TB SSD. Personally for my new rig I picked up a 250GB 840 evo. I will probably install some games on it, ones I play ALL THE TIME, and will enjoy the load times. But mostly for my OS and other applications. All other games will go on my WD black. If you have the money ofc it will be better than HDD, but if you're like most people & don't feel like spending $400+ bucks on 1TB of storage, may want to reconsider and re spend that money on other system specs, it won't make a big gaming difference.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

what about mmorpgs? lots of loading screens for those. Would an ssd be superior to an hdd in that reguard?

As far as i know it's only faster on loading time.

I would go for the SSD. I have two 250GB Samsung 840 Evos. Crazy fast. It greatly decreases load times. Worth the investment in my opinion.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

you will feel the difference, but it is not worth it

If you can afford it, go for it, SSDs > HDDs any day of the week, only you can decide if it is worth while though as only you know what your income is.

Me personally, I use a 240GB SSD for OS + apps, a 480GB SSD for games and 2x750GB HDDs in raid for local storage (can move games on and off of it as needed), I will say after using nothing but SSDs for a fair while then adding the HDDs even though I don't use them much I find them annoying, particularly the spin up from sleep, with the right deal I would definitely consider dropping them for a SSD(s).