Best 140mm Casefans (silent & performance)

Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

I've heard/read good things about the Noctua and the NB, but don't have any personal

experience with either. I do have the SP120 and can tell you that they make quite an

annoying sound when turned up (even the quiet edition). I'm not sure whether or not

this is also the case for the AF140, but I think it's worth mentioning. Performance for

the SP120 is also not that stellar tbh.

I also have the Bitfenix Spectre Pro and am so far quite happy with it. On 12 V I can

only hear the air moving, absolutely no motor or bearing sounds. And when I turn it

down it gets really silent, down to being almost inaudible. During no part of

the rpm spectrum have I been able to detect any sound besides the whooshing of air.

However, they're still quite new and I can't speak as to their longevity. I have read

about some people getting problems with their bearings after a few months. However,

I have 9 140 fans and 4 120 fans in my possession and so far all of them are running

smoothly.

It's not a high performance fan, but the 140 version does move a decent amount of

air on 12 V.

If you can wait a bit, Aquatuning recently said on the OC3D forum that there is a 140

version of the Noiseblocker eLoop coming soon (or rather: its Phobya counterpart), just

fyi. Not specifics regarding ETA though.

Which ones do you think are the best 140mm case fans for

1. Silent
  2. Performance

Btw i own a Fractal Design XL R2 would want replace the fans.

Right now i'm looking at buying 3 of these

• Noctua NF-A14 FLX
  • Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PK2
  • Corsair AF140

Any comments? Performance on 12, 7 and 5 volts?

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

I've heard/read good things about the Noctua and the NB, but don't have any personal

experience with either. I do have the SP120 and can tell you that they make quite an

annoying sound when turned up (even the quiet edition). I'm not sure whether or not

this is also the case for the AF140, but I think it's worth mentioning. Performance for

the SP120 is also not that stellar tbh.

I also have the Bitfenix Spectre Pro and am so far quite happy with it. On 12 V I can

only hear the air moving, absolutely no motor or bearing sounds. And when I turn it

down it gets really silent, down to being almost inaudible. During no part of

the rpm spectrum have I been able to detect any sound besides the whooshing of air.

However, they're still quite new and I can't speak as to their longevity. I have read

about some people getting problems with their bearings after a few months. However,

I have 9 140 fans and 4 120 fans in my possession and so far all of them are running

smoothly.

It's not a high performance fan, but the 140 version does move a decent amount of

air on 12 V.

If you can wait a bit, Aquatuning recently said on the OC3D forum that there is a 140

version of the Noiseblocker eLoop coming soon (or rather: its Phobya counterpart), just

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

If there are 140mm eLoop coming i'm going to wait. Have 1x PWM eLoop, even at 2000RPM the fan itself is near silent (of course the air moving is pretty loud ^^).

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410