Powerline problems

Uphorics

Hey guys, I've been having some issues with my network setup.

So the modem is next to my dad's router in the basement, while I'm 2 floors up in my room. My router is in my room connected to the modem in the basement via powerline. But for some reason my computer causes some sort of interferance when it's on, because I only get about 10 - 15mbps when I should be getting 50mbps. However when my computer is off my internet jumps right back up to 50mbps. Can somebody explain to me what's going on? And I've checked different outlets around upstairs and all of the outlets in my room have this effect. (the one in the hallway works just fine) Any suggestions/recommendations to what I should do?

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro // CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.2GHz // GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Reference // RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1333MHz // MOBOASUS P8Z77-V LK // SPACE: 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ~ WD Black 1TB // PSU: Corsair CX750M //

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 // CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0GHz // GPU: N/A // RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600MHz // MOBOEVGA Z87 Stinger Mini-ITX // SPACE: OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD ~ [2X WD Black 2TB in RAID 1] // PSU: EVGA 430W //

theoreticaly, the fact that there is a device connected to the plug, creates a 50Hz signal in the line (60Hz in america), what powerline does is generate a differet signal which travels through the electrical installation of your house transmiting the data the same way an ethernet cable does. If a device (in this case the computer) consumes too much power this signal is corrupted so the message sent to your computer is discarded and is sent again. this leads to a reduction of the speed, not because your internet goes slower but because the signal you are reciving is corrupted.

other reason to this problem coul be that the powerline acts as a hub so if there's more than one device in your house using powerline, there could be colisions on the messages, leading to a slower connection

the easiest solution that comes to my mins is since you say that the one in the hallway works fine, get a longer ethernet cable and use the powerline from that plug

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

-snip-

I've heard of powerline filters. Would that make a difference if I were to plug that into the outlet my computer uses? If that won't make a difference I'll just use the outlet in the hallway then :)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro // CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.2GHz // GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Reference // RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1333MHz // MOBOASUS P8Z77-V LK // SPACE: 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ~ WD Black 1TB // PSU: Corsair CX750M //

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 // CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0GHz // GPU: N/A // RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600MHz // MOBOEVGA Z87 Stinger Mini-ITX // SPACE: OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD ~ [2X WD Black 2TB in RAID 1] // PSU: EVGA 430W //

I've heard of powerline filters. Would that make a difference if I were to plug that into the outlet my computer uses? If that won't make a difference I'll just use the outlet in the hallway then :)

Odds are, the electrical wiring in your house is simply not up to the task. Specifically, the wire runs on your 2nd floor (aside from the Hallway it seems).

Powerline is an extremely "finicky" technology. It's performance largely depends on factors that it does not control (the wiring). Old or bad wiring jobs will cause bad performance. Some outlets work great and some might not work at all.

You can try a Powerline Ethernet filter. It may help, if the issue is interference from other electronics. But it might not. It is up to you whether that's worth the cost. There's no guarantee a filter will help.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)