Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Full Size Keyboard

SeriouslyMikey

Second time typing this as my idiocy and ham fisted approach to typing caused me to hit Alt then the back space and sent me back a page, losing a whole lot of typing. So, I am now typing this in Open Office to make sure that doesn't happen again. Damn it all.

Anyway! I thought, after owning this keyboard for around two weeks, I'd actually write up a page on my thoughts on the Filco keyboard and how I feel it compares to my previous. My previous being the Ducky Shine 3 TKL with Cherry MX Blues. I wont be using my own images for this as I don't have a decent camera as of typing this and my desk is fairly filthy as of now. Apologies.

Packaging and Content.

The box for the Filco Majestouch Ninja is rather unexceptional. It's plane, simple and not that eye catching. However, when I began to think about it, when buying a product from such a professional manufacturer, why would it have to be flashy and over the top to catch people's attention? I was buying this to have something professional and elegant, not flashy and over the top, but I digress. Inside the box, we find the keyboard itself, packaged as you'd expect as with all other keyboards on the market. It did come with a plastic dust cover, that I do use when my PC isn't in use, almost like a keyboard ritual. It also came with two spare Windows keycaps that will replace the embossed Windows key already installed on the keyboard with a front printed keycap. Which, I changed instantly to match the rest of the keycaps. Along with that, it came with a simple wire keycap puller, USB to PS2 adapter and a quick start guide. Pretty basic stuff, really.

image-12.jpg

First Impressions.

My first impressions with this keyboard were fantastic. Pulling it out of the box at first, I already could feel the money I spent was well worth it, on build quality alone. It's heavy, not Model M heavy, but heavy. And the strength of the keyboard is outstanding. Doing the required flex test, I couldn't help but be blown away when, no matter how much force I applied, within reason of course, I didn't want it breaking, it just held it's shape and didn't flex at all. I wont lie, my jaw did drop slightly. I didn't expect the build quality to beat that of my Ducky Shine TKL, heck that keyboard isn't a slouch in the build department either, but even so, it's no where near as well built as the Filco. Straight after pulling the keyboard out of the box and tossing it aside, I instantly plugged it into my PC, via PS2, and began to type, switching back and forth between my Ducky and the new Filco. At first I couldn't get why anyone would like the Browns and why they're favoured by some people, but after about ten minutes of switching back and forth, I ended up falling in love. Though, I'll get further into that a little later.

61XFUt1jTML._SL1200_.jpg

The design of the keyboard was just what I wanted. Sleek, elegant and professional. However, the front printed keycaps didn't do it for me and I was already looking online for some completely blank ones to replace them. I don't know what it was, they just seemed ugly. Very ugly.

51uL5LGM4QL._SL1000_.jpg

Final Impressions.

As of right now, I have yet to change back to my Ducky and I don't think I ever will. Filco have another permanent customer now. As I am typing this, I still cant help but pick up the keyboard, just to feel the weight and give it a slight flex test, though I know it wont have changed over the couple of weeks I have had it. It's just something I feel that I have to do. I don't know, I cant explain my urge to do it. It still blows me away that the keyboard is so well built and really does give me the thought that my money wasn't wasted and has gone towards a solid keyboard that I would recommend to anyone with over £100 to spend on a new typing experience. Even if it is one heck of an initial investment. Going back onto the design front of the keyboard, the front facing keycaps have grown on me. From originally hating them, but loving them in the images, I now love them in person too. The lack of any printing on the top of the keycaps helps to keep a consistent feel throughout the keys, without the worry of the printing fading and changing the texture, though, it wont stop colour fading over time. That's just what happens in the light, unfortunately. For a full size keyboard, the footprint isn't too large either. It's fairly standard and with it's narrow boarders around the keys, it's actually a little smaller than some other keyboards out there. It's a really professional looking keyboard and I love it. The simple Filco logo up in the top right is the cherry on the cake for me too. Running the keyboard in N-Key rollover with the PS2 adapter is a dream too. Being able to hit as many keys as possible and having all of them register on the computer is something fun to play around with. Though, don't do what I did and have to reboot the PC because some of the keys stopped working from mashing the keyboard too often. I don't know, I get carried away. 

Enough of the design though. A keyboard is only as good as the typing experience, or gaming experience in my case. The Brown switches feel amazing and for gaming, better than the Blues. I cant really articulate what I mean, and I have tried typing this part up many times but it just turns into a ramble. So all I will say is that I prefer them. Whether it is the backplane of the Filco or the sound of the keys bottoming out, I just find them better and more fun to type on. Though, I am not as fast as I was on the Blues, though, I think I can catch myself back up again. I gaming however, I didn't think I would notice a difference and at the start, I didn't, however, I feel that I am faster with my key presses and within the game of CS:GO, which is the only game I have played with this keyboard, I can definitely feel a difference.

71k47gIW1EL._SL1200_.jpg

Going from a TKL too a full size keyboard wasn't much of a hindrance either. Being someone that has a huge mouse pad. A QCK Heavy to be precise. I thought that the number pad was going to interfere with gaming, and I was originally going to get myself the TKL in browns, thought at the time and right now, it still isn't in stock on Amazon.co.uk. However, the number pad has been a warm welcome back from using TKL keyboards for a while. I missed the ability to punch in numbers quickly and learn how to buy things, again, in CS:GO with the number pad. It's just a joy to have back and I don't think I will return to the TKL format for a while. Unless travelling of course. Carrying this Filco along with a laptop would be a pain, no matter how big the bag it's all in is.

Over all, this keyboard is a joy to type and game on and for anyone looking to spend over £100 on a keyboard and doesn't care about backlighting, I'd recommend this in a heart beat. Though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ducky either. They are both fantastic keyboards. Both in the build quality department and the typing experience. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I have a Filco magestouch ninja as well, mine being the TKL Cherry MX switches though. It's been awesome for the 2 years I've had it. The only complaint I have about it is that the 'e' key is starting to double actuate and unfortunately the warranty period is already over. :(

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Damn I was either going for Filco majestouch Manila or KBC Poker II White. I ended up going for Poker II. Hopefully I made the right decision :D

I own the non ninja version and yeah it is built like a brick.

I just wish it came with a wrist rest.

• 6 months later...

this thing is gorgeous even if i bought it second hand 

I have a Filco magestouch ninja as well, mine being the TKL Cherry MX switches though. It's been awesome for the 2 years I've had it. The only complaint I have about it is that the 'e' key is starting to double actuate and unfortunately the warranty period is already over. :(

I've been getting that problem with mine since I got it (I think. I could just be double pressing keys, since I have noticed I do it sometimes). I'm sure you could find software to fix that problem for you though.

I'm in the same boat with you with Cherry MX Browns after using MX Blues for a little bit. At first when I tried them, I hated them because they felt like scratchy Cherry MX Reds. But now they feel perfect for me when typing as well as gaming. I also agree with you on how professional the Filco logo looks on the top right hand of the keyboard. Very understated and professional with a sexy stealth-black look.