BT Infinity Router Woes

Dom1912

I'm a UK student living in a flat with 6 others. When it came to deciding which internet package we would get I pushed and urged my peers to go for the more pricey 38Mbps option. My hope was that I would be able to indulge in my internet gaming while everyone else could stream what they felt like and do other menial internet tasks. 

My flat's in somewhat of a dead-spot for internet providers and I was stuck with choosing BT. BT has thus far been the largest let down imaginable.

The flat is large but all interior walls are plaster-board, the only phone-line jack my flat has is located in the bedroom of a flat member. In said flat members room both 2.4 and 5 Ghz frequencies manage to average at between 35 - 38, which is wonderful for him.. However, a mere 5 metres outside his room the transfer rate drops to ~12Mbps if you're lucky, and that's with no one else using the internet.

The flat invested in a BT wireless booster and while it did improve the 2.4Ghz range and quality it completely murdered the 5Ghz which was previously usable at distances of 5 metres. I'm convinced to this day that the wireless booster is a pile of shite.. but I'm in the minority in my flat.

I've wired an ethernet cable between the wifi-booster and my desktop to for-go the murky and over-used 2.4Ghz frequency that my wireless dongle picks up, though this is massively unpopular as my flat believe I am 'stealing all the wireless'.

My plan is to buy 50 metres of ethernet cable and painstakingly route an ethernet cable to my side of the house where I'll install a second router that I'll hardwire into. This is a more popular idea as it's generally perceived to be of benefit ot everyone.

My questions are thus:

• Does hard-wiring myself to the wireless booster deprive others of internet speed? (Assuming my usage remains the same, i.e. Online gaming)

• Is connecting a second router as simple a task as wiring an ethernet cable through the house and plugging it in to a second router? 
  • Will this router act in a similar fashion to the first i.e. allow me to connect via ethernet to the back of it?
  • And, finally, will connecting my PC in this fashion: Infinity hub --> Ethernet cable --> Second router --> Ethernet Cable --> Desktop, result in much if any speed loss of the initial 38Mbps?

Thanks in advance and sorry about the wall of text!

In relation to the better option, the second one, here are my answers:

Yes, you can do this, I assume you have the HH5? I have this in my own house to connect 2 other wireless routers too it so we could improve the quality around the house. However be aware the some certain routers do not seem to like being setup like a repeater. What you need to do is setup each of the routers in turn with the exact same settings as the main one - SSID, Passphrase, Security type etc, however switch channels to another so that there is less wireless signal clashing. Your wireless devices will auto connect to the best one.

You can connect to the Ethernet port of the back of the second router.

Yes, this method will work. 

Any problems, let us know! Have fun!  ;)

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications