Sound setup for my grandparents.

upliftsleet1974

okay looking to get my grandparents a sound setup for Christmas nothing fancy.

The problem they have now is my grandpa watches a lot of sports and its hard for him to hear the announcers over all the background noise they need something that sounds clearer then the TV speakers.

I have around $150 to spend it does not need to be a perfect setup just so they can understand it better. 

What would you guys get?

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

JBL Cinema SB100 Soundbar Speaker System

Incredible audio. Easy setup. Perfect for Sports!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

JBL Cinema SB100 Soundbar Speaker System

Incredible audio. Easy setup. Perfect for Sports!

+ soundbar. Good sound, not much space taken and not distracting. Not sure which one to buy though.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-NB3530A-Sound-System/dp/B00BD7UXT2/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417506110&sr=1-10&keywords=soundbar

this one has better reviews and a sub. But if you don't need a sub then idk.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

+ soundbar. Good sound, not much space taken and not distracting. Not sure which one to buy though.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-NB3530A-Sound-System/dp/B00BD7UXT2/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417506110&sr=1-10&keywords=soundbar

A sub could be good.

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

A sub could be good.

Only drawback a sub has is it needs some more space so if you have space then just go for it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It has a better sound. But Subwoofer is not suitable for his "GRANDPARENTS". JBL provides decent sound quality. I could have recommended the LG if it is not needed for their GRANDPARENTS.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

It has a better sound. But Subwoofer is not suitable for his "GRANDPARENTS". JBL provides decent sound quality. I could have recommended the LG if it is not needed for their GRANDPARENTS.

Subwoofer helps with the speech quality too. There are people with low voices.

Spoiler

Well may be!

No, a sub normally does <200Hz, there is absolutely no speech there.

I'd recommend a soundbar too. I don't think they have the need for a sub.

A bar will save space, have clear vocals and still have some low-end for music.

No, a sub normally does <200Hz, there is absolutely no speech there.

I'd recommend a soundbar too. I don't think they have the need for a sub.

A bar will save space, have clear vocals and still have some low-end for music.

Only drawback a sub has is it needs some more space so if you have space then just go for it.

Space is really not an issue in this case.

Soundbar for ease of setup mostly. Eventually they WILL tinker with it, and being able to tell them how to fix it over the phone is a plus. 

Soundbar for ease of setup mostly. Eventually they WILL tinker with it, and being able to tell them how to fix it over the phone is a plus. 

They live next door. 450 feet away haha.

They are so close they use are wifi.

They live next door. 450 feet away haha.

They are so close they use are wifi.

Then soundbar just because they wont give a rat's ass. You already said yourself it doesn't have to be perfect, and with a $150 budget, a soundbar would be hard to beat for TV use anyways.

y u haf b so hard 2 convince?

desk_flip.jpg

Then soundbar just because they wont give a rat's ass. You already said yourself it doesn't have to be perfect, and with a $150 budget, a soundbar would be hard to beat for TV use anyways.

y u haf b so hard 2 convince?

Just like to know what I am putting money into before I do it. I like to explore all the options haha.

A (real) sub is useful to get that low rumbles and humming sounds. Mostly used in watching movies, to get that cinema-like explosions, gunshots, etc. Multimedia speakers subs aren't 'real' sub. They can only handle a bit of low frequencies, not very much different than say a good 3 way shelf/standing speakers anyway. 

Like mentioned above, speeches (human voices) are around the mids and lower-mids range of frequencies, so a sub is not mandatory, and could potentially make it worse (if it's a bad sub)