Server 2008 R2 SoftAP can connect, but no internet access

iyr

A few weeks back I installed a WiFi card in my storage server with the intent of having my wireless devices connect to the internet through it as well as access files directly from the server.

I'm using the SoftAP that's included with 2k8 R2; the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. I also have the Wireless LAN Service installed.

Currently, my devices can connect to it just fine and the server shows up as a lan drive (as it should), but they have no internet access. I know it's not a client-side issue because three different devices running different wireless chipsets and different OSs share the same problem, so it must be something server-side.

It was working well for the first day, but has only been working off and on ever since.

The SoftAP requires the server's connection to the internet (which is currently a lan connection) to be shared with the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. I do that, and the virtual adapter is listed as having internet access, but any device connected to it doesn't have internet access.

Rebooting, tweaking the settings, restarting the SoftAP, and googling haven't helped.

Since it has worked before and does work about a quarter of the time, I suspect there's a background service or security measure in Windows that's interfering with the SoftAP's ability to grant internet access to wireless devices, but I really have no idea.

The wireless card is the Rosewill RNX-N180PCe which uses the Realtek RTL819SE chipset.

Any help is appreciated.

Turns out the Hyper-V role was somehow interfering with the SoftAP. I uninstalled the role and things have been running smoothly since.