8 GB vs 16 GB RAM.

The question is simple. Is it worth it to get 16 GB RAM, or should i go for 8 GB? Memory usage in newer games and applications seems to have gone up a lot, and i am wondering if 8 GB will be able to handle it for much longer.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

The question is simple. Is it worth it to get 16 GB RAM, or should i go for 8 GB? Memory usage in newer games and applications seems to have gone up a lot, and i am wondering if 8 GB will be able to handle it for much longer.

For now 8 is fine, but you might want to buy another kit in the future.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

get 8GB but leae space to add 16 if you need it in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you have the budget sure. If you don't then no. Generally I would say i7+970 builds should maybe try 16gb of ram anything lower no.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Go with 8 and buy another 8gb kit down the road when you need more (and when DDR3 becomes cheaper)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

For games alone? No, 8GB will be fine.

Depends what you do. If you are just gaming and web browsing then 8GB should be fine but I find that once I start using programs like Photoshop and running VM's that I can quickly eat up all my 8GB and that is where 16GB would make more sense.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Really depends what you're doing. I had 8 gigs FOREVER but found that since I have a ton of tabs open in chrome, some stuff running in the background (utorrent, spotify) and heavy games (watchdogs is a memory hog) 8 gigs just wasn't enough.

Kept getting errors like "this application is using a bunch of ram, you should close it." This was on my x48 system last month. Super old, but thankfully my work was getting rid of a bunch of stuff, one of which was an x58 platform with a 920. Got that, threw 10 gigs in it (all I had, 3x2GB, and 1x4GB) no more errors, everything seems much smoother and snappier. My python development also feels snappier. 

If all you're doing is gaming and you don't have some stuff in the background, 8 gigs is fine for now. Open up a game as you typically would, play in it for a good 5-10 minutes, alt-tab out and see what your memory usage is. If it's hitting above 7 gigs at all, you're likely getting stuff thrown in Pagefile, so you'd benefit from more ram.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

I got the best of both worlds, 12 :P

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Really depends what you're doing. I had 8 gigs FOREVER but found that since I have a ton of tabs open in chrome, some stuff running in the background (utorrent, spotify) and heavy games (watchdogs is a memory hog) 8 gigs just wasn't enough.

Kept getting errors like "this application is using a bunch of ram, you should close it." This was on my x48 system last month. Super old, but thankfully my work was getting rid of a bunch of stuff, one of which was an x58 platform with a 920. Got that, threw 10 gigs in it (all I had, 3x2GB, and 1x4GB) no more errors, everything seems much smoother and snappier. My python development also feels snappier. 

If all you're doing is gaming and you don't have some stuff in the background, 8 gigs is fine for now. Open up a game as you typically would, play in it for a good 5-10 minutes, alt-tab out and see what your memory usage is. If it's hitting above 7 gigs at all, you're likely getting stuff thrown in Pagefile, so you'd benefit from more ram.

get firefox, save 100$ on RAM.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

get firefox, save 100$ on RAM.

meh, that's what I hear. But like I said, pycharm is snappier and my queries are faster. Won't be dropping down to 8 gigs now that I have the ram for it.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

meh, that's what I hear. But like I said, pycharm is snappier and my queries are faster. Won't be dropping down to 8 gigs now that I have the ram for it.

i'm considering an upgrade to 16GB myself though...forever my 8gb kit has been enough but with the new games (CoD AW, dragon age..) i often see my RAM usage flirting with the 7GB mark and i feel i should order another kit for ''future-proofing'' this a little more...

The thing is i'm in canada and i want matching RAM to the kit i use which is the corsair vengeance LP 1866mhz in red and those cost upward of 120$ ATM.. :(

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i'm considering an upgrade to 16GB myself though...forever my 8gb kit has been enough but with the new games (CoD AW, dragon age..) i often see my RAM usage flirting with the 7GB mark and i feel i should order another kit for ''future-proofing'' this a little more...

Future proof ftw. My x99 build should be complete by end of December. A nice start to 2015.