Want to play modded skyrim on new rig for first time, which mods to get?

bydus

I'm building a gaming rig for first time in years, actually I sold my ps4 and add some $ to build it. I wanted to experience skyrim for the first time in best possible visual experience playing with controller on my tv at 60fps, my rig will be i5-4690k and 970gtx so I'm sure it will handle it quite ok as long as there isn't to many mods. What are your recommendations ? Are there any "mod packs" so I wouldn't have to go through the process of manually installing everything? 

Skse and skyui fix the console style inventory crap

For the best visual result, I would go with Skyrim Mod Combiner http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51467/?

It will take ALOT of mod downloading to get all the mods and to be fair there are mods used by the Combiner that aren't currently available.

Though it is no problem if you skip mods when using it.

I haven't tried it full on, my rig can only handle the Lite version, but I only got 2 GB on VRAM.

+SKSE skse.silverlock.org

+SkyUI http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/?

-snip-

NOPE. I have some internet history to clear now because of you.

Start with the unofficial patches. There is an unofficial patch for the base game, and one for each DLC.

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Unofficial High Resolution Patch   (i recommend not installing the High Resolution DLC from Bethesda, if it comes by default then don't worry. But personally it's caused issues for me when modding my game)

After those, the only other "essential" mod would be Sky UI (requires SKSE, read mod description), and AFT. Beyond that, start working through the Skyrim G.E.M.S mod list, see what you do and don't like, but be prepared to spend a lot of time troubleshooting when you run into mod conflicts. They are bound to happen and you need to try and try again when it comes to getting a full working set of mods which suit your tastes. You'll get to the point where you install mods on a whim and end up having to uninstall the game, and reinstalling your mods from scratch, one by one.

Do NOT install ANYTHING from the Steam Workshop. In general they are not reliable, in that they are not updated, or are of piss poor quality. Stick to the Skyrim Nexus for mods.

Another program to use, would be LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool) to sort the load order of mod plugins, it'll help with some compatibility issues.

Beyond that, it is down to personal taste. I would recommend sticking to what i have said, and use tried and tested mods to begin with, and then progress when you've gained some experience modding, to look up mods on your own and pick what tickles your fancy.

- Coming from someone who has spent many hours modding the shit out of Skyrim, and currently has ~240 mods installed at this moment in time

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...