Battlefield 3, Youtube and Monetization

Cookie0124

Hi everyone!

I've created a video that I wanted to upload to Youtube in which I've given my opinions on graphics cards, purely to be used as an informative and 'educational', and I was going to use Battlefield 3 footage to play alongside this voice recording. I've not actually explicitly mentioned - in the voice recording - anything about the Battlefield 3 video it runs alongside. I was going to monetize said video - however, I saw this under Google's video games monetization section:

"Without the appropriate license from the publisher, use of video game or software user interface must be minimal. Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value."

Will this mean my video will be denied for monetization because the 'commentary' I've provided is not strictly tied to the video, or will I get through on the grounds of it being 'educational', or other means (e.g. Fair Use/Fair Dealing)?

Quietly crafting hamsters to do my bidding

As far as I'm aware, you can't monetize gaming footage on youtube, without some sort of partnership with the IP owner/a network (such as Machinima, TGS, Curse etc). You can look up devs who gave permission to monetize without any partnership. (I know that Mojang is one of them, but I don't see why would you use Minecraft when talking about video cards XD )

Hi everyone!

I've created a video that I wanted to upload to Youtube in which I've given my opinions on graphics cards, purely to be used as an informative and 'educational', and I was going to use Battlefield 3 footage to play alongside this voice recording. I've not actually explicitly mentioned - in the voice recording - anything about the Battlefield 3 video it runs alongside. I was going to monetize said video - however, I saw this under Google's video games monetization section:

"Without the appropriate license from the publisher, use of video game or software user interface must be minimal. Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value."

Will this mean my video will be denied for monetization because the 'commentary' I've provided is not strictly tied to the video, or will I get through on the grounds of it being 'educational', or other means (e.g. Fair Use/Fair Dealing)?

Copyright on Youtube is still pretty grey, yes your video is educational and informative but the video in the background isn't. You will not necessarily be attacked if you do upload it but all the revenue will go to the publishing company, EA. I've seen many people do this without getting penalized so its just up to you if you feel comfortable attempting or taking the 100% safe route and not do it. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

I know Nintendo will grab whatever money you make if you play Mario :P

PC in Profile

I know Nintendo will grab whatever money you make if you play Mario :P

So true, Microsoft actually started doing it before Nintendo with their Microsoft Studio games such as Halo and Gears of War.  You have to follow guidelines for them which includes not criticizing the game in a negative way. They are so money hungry, now that Sony is going to be the face of Next-gen home entertainment. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

Okay, thanks everyone :D I should perhaps wait until I've got 'dem l337 utoobing skillz' haha

Quietly crafting hamsters to do my bidding