Xeon or i7?

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

If you already own a Z97 motherboard, which it looks like you do, definitely go i7.  Its only $50 more than the least expensive hyperthreaded Xeon, and it is overclockable, which will greatly improve render times, and as you mentioned iGPU.  I can tell you, if I didn't have an iGPU on my i5, troubleshooting would have been a serious pain in the ass, and likely cost me a lot more money.  Having that dedicated GPU is really nice, you may not think you need it, but when it comes in handy, it comes in handy big time.

Hi,

My build will be used for gaming and video editing (even though I've got a Pentium), and was wondering wether a Xeon or an i7 would be better for me. I was leaning towards i7 due to it having Intel HD Graphics, handy for troubleshooting (if Xeons have them please tell me).

The Xeons ending in 5 have a iGPU, the ones ending in a 0 or a 1 do not have a iGPU.

Oh, could you reccommend me one?

and ones ending in 6,haswell refresh, have the iGPU

For example?

and ones ending in 6,haswell refresh, have the iGPU

Oh, well then i'd missed one. :unsure:

If you already own a Z97 motherboard, which it looks like you do, definitely go i7.  Its only $50 more than the least expensive hyperthreaded Xeon, and it is overclockable, which will greatly improve render times, and as you mentioned iGPU.  I can tell you, if I didn't have an iGPU on my i5, troubleshooting would have been a serious pain in the ass, and likely cost me a lot more money.  Having that dedicated GPU is really nice, you may not think you need it, but when it comes in handy, it comes in handy big time.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

if you want to Overclock get an i7 4790k

if you never going to overclock, get like the E3-1246 v3

I might overclock. I'll sit on it. Thanks

Exactly what I was thinking!