What do you do with your old builds?

Spev

I just usually strip the parts and put them somewhere to admire :P

Lol, if nobody wants to buy my 580 I'm gonna put it on a shelf that's on my wall to admire. It got a freaking workout that's for sure. I got to Diamond on League on that GPU xD Going for challenger this season on my 970 :P Only reason I'm mentioning specifics is because you got that ahri pic ;)

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Part it out on craigslist.

Sell remaining parts to friends/possibly give them away.

Stick the last of the remaining parts in my closet.

I try my best to recycle every single piece of hardware I have and convert it back into cash. Most of the time I get over 60%+ of its original value back, other times not so much.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Part it out on craigslist.

Sell remaining parts to friends/possibly give them away.

Stick the last of the remaining parts in my closet.

I try my best to recycle every single piece of hardware I have and convert it back into cash. Most of the time I get over 60%+ of its original value back, other times not so much.

Good choice. I will do that. Personally it's the CPU that kills me the most. My i7 980 cost a LOT back when I purchase it. I really have no problem parting with my mobo or PSU.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Turn them into coasters and keychains.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I doubt anyone will buy old/used parts so it's like they pretty much are garbo...thinking of the money I spent on them and just replacing them when they work fine just makes me feel like shit.

I know exactly how you feel about replacing perfectly good parts.  

But I can anecdotally disagree with your notion that parts are not re-sellable.  

I posted a thread here a couple months ago asking people's opinions about the parts I was selling.  Some people said I wanted too much.  One fellow said I wouldn't sell it and provided a link to another sale on another forum that hadn't budged in weeks.

Well I sold it within a week via Craigslist.  I got $140.  ...for a brand new Intel stock cooler, MSI motherboard, 4GB 10600 memory, and an i5 750S quad core.     It paid for the motherboard (with free memory) and part of the new i5 that replaced it. 

I just built my first real rig, so I don't exactly have much experience with it, but what I would do is replace my ATX motherboard with an mATX or mITX motherboard and stick it in a Corsair 380T case as a LAN rig. Good for bringing over to friends' places and stuff, and easy to move around (especially with the 380T's little handle on top).

"If three hundred Spartans could hold fast against the tides of Persians trying to break through Thermopylae, we too will hold against the tides of Hidrane at Camden. For our fallen brothers!" ~Alex Jayson, The Chronicals of Michegal.

I just built my first real rig, so I don't exactly have much experience with it, but what I would do is replace my ATX motherboard with an mATX or mITX motherboard and stick it in a Corsair 380T case as a LAN rig. Good for bringing over to friends' places and stuff, and easy to move around (especially with the 380T's little handle on top).

I would love to do something like that, none of my friends really are even interested in video games...=/

I usually just sell it or give it to a friend or family member that can use a upgrade :D

I know exactly how you feel about replacing perfectly good parts.  

But I can anecdotally disagree with your notion that parts are not re-sellable.  

I posted a thread here a couple months ago asking people's opinions about the parts I was selling.  Some people said I wanted too much.  One fellow said I wouldn't sell it and provided a link to another sale on another forum that hadn't budged in weeks.

Well I sold it within a week via Craigslist.  I got $140.  ...for a brand new Intel stock cooler, MSI motherboard, 4GB 10600 memory, and an i5 750S quad core.     It paid for the motherboard (with free memory) and part of the new i5 that replaced it. 

How much do you think I could get for an intel i7 980?

I am too poor to have an old rig.

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

If they're useful I keep them and use them, or I give them to my parents or my girlfriend.

If they're not useful but they still work, I just keep them, it's amazing to turn on a really old machine after a few years.

If they're beyond repair I still keep the old components and enjoy the sight from time to time.

I've sold some parts, made one whole rig from some and gave it as present. It depends how much money I would get by selling old parts vs giving them to local recycling center.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Lol I still remember what I did to my first computer when I was a kid.I broke every part of it.Hammered the CPU and Mobo.

I keep my old builds for compatibiity, and the fact that they can be turned into a timeline of the way they change.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

How much do you think I could get for an intel i7 980?

Just the processor?   This one?     Quite a bit probably.  It's hard to tell on eBay because there are prices all over the place.  And 980s are mixed in with 980x.  

I'd guess at least $100.  Looks like a pretty good cpu to me. 

I collect my old parts until i replace enough stuff in my current pc that i can make another PC and have that if one of my friends come over and want to game!

=Dirty Diana V.1=

MOBO: :ASROCK Extreme6 CASE: Rosewill Thor V.2  CPU: I7 4770k  RAM: Crucial 8GB's 1600MHZ  PSU: Corsair RM750 GPU: GTX 780 Storage: 1TB HHD/240GB Samsung Evo SSD

I put older games on them to run.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I collect my old parts until i replace enough stuff in my current pc that i can make another PC and have that if one of my friends come over and want to game!

That's a really good idea.  You're able to accommodate mouse, keyboard, and display, too? 

That's a really good idea.  You're able to accommodate mouse, keyboard, and display, too? 

i have 3 monitors i just let them use one of them, but im gonna have to upgrade to 4k or 2560x1440 someday and im gonna have 3 monitors for my friends to use, and you can always have that person bring over a mouse/keyboard or do what i do and buy a $30 Logitech keyboard/mouse combo for them to use and that works great

=Dirty Diana V.1=

MOBO: :ASROCK Extreme6 CASE: Rosewill Thor V.2  CPU: I7 4770k  RAM: Crucial 8GB's 1600MHZ  PSU: Corsair RM750 GPU: GTX 780 Storage: 1TB HHD/240GB Samsung Evo SSD

i have 3 monitors i just let them use one of them, but im gonna have to upgrade to 4k or 2560x1440 someday and im gonna have 3 monitors for my friends to use, and you can always have that person bring over a mouse/keyboard or do what i do and buy a $30 Logitech keyboard/mouse combo for them to use and that works great

That's pretty awesome.  Where do you set it up for others to play?   Do you have another desk/table for it?  Or do you have to fashion something up for the moment? 

That's pretty awesome.  Where do you set it up for others to play?   Do you have another desk/table for it?  Or do you have to fashion something up for the moment? 

Here is a picture :) The pc they use is put away for now but i got a whole other desk extension for them to play on!

I know you like that lava lamp :P

post-54557-0-84672200-1417057366_thumb.j

=Dirty Diana V.1=

Use it for Folding@home or BOINC without a display; would suggest putting it in either basement or secluded place because of fan noise, etc.  Unfinished basements are cool (literally) for keeping temps down.

You can also cannibalize some ram or cpu coolers from them and replace them with stock.

THE VECTOR:

Intel Core i5-4690 @ stock - Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H - EVGA GTX 770 SC - A-DATA XPG 2.0 16GB 1866 - Cooler Master N200 - Seagate 1 TB Hybrid Drive - Corsair CX600M - ASUS VX238H 23" 1080p

Sell parts toward next build. (If there worth anything)

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE