Dragon age inquisition: is it playable?

Brandenhee

Hi all i am tempted to buy the new dragon age game. However, i have a single msi gtx 970 and saw the benchmarks of it averaging about 55 fps. Does the game stutter and is it safe for me to buy and play at smooth fps? I have an i5 4690k and 8gb of ram

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor

Oops forgot to mention that intend to play it at 1080p

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor

Oops forgot to mention that intend to play it at 1080p

Then I can guarantee your fine. Your setup is similar to mine so no worries.

Btw incase you didn't know, cutscenes are locked at 30 fps, and its no way in hell "filmatic" or whatever ubisoft be is about. But it's not a deal breaker imo.

Yeah works fine for me.

Don't use the Nvidia custom resolution feature though.

(forgot what it was called)

The old down sampling method works better.

That is.. If you want to go beyond your standard resolution, just saying.

Dynamic Super Resolution? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

No. I do not consider this game playable. A large portion of PC users who own this game are unable to play due to terrible performance across a wide range of systems.

That isn't even discussing the large number of bugs that people have been experiencing.

I have an i5-4670k, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 770. According to Bioware's own built in settings detection tool, my system should be able to run the game at a little above high. Yet my frame rate crashes into 30 in quite a few areas. What is worse, having the settings set to anything above medium causes this effect. Even the Geforce Experience (which I only use as a standard when I'm desperate) says that my system can handle the game on high. Same result though. Either the game has some serious performance issues, or both Bioware and Nvidia now consider 30fps acceptable. Considering that many with systems better than mine are having similar issues, I'm inclined to say that it is the former.

My advice? Wait a bit, and let them patch some of these issues.

Then I can guarantee your fine. Your setup is similar to mine so no worries.

Btw incase you didn't know, cutscenes are locked at 30 fps, and its no way in hell "filmatic" or whatever ubisoft be is about. But it's not a deal breaker imo.

Hahaha ubisoft just keeps coming up. Yea i am worried. I saw totalbiscuit's review of the game. He has 2 980s and only averages at around 75 fps with dips to 60 in certain areas. Damn games are making the latest gpus look shitty. Just look at farcry 4

Hahaha ubisoft just keeps coming up. Yea i am worried. I saw totalbiscuit's review of the game. He has 2 980s and only averages at around 75 fps with dips to 60 in certain areas. Damn games are making the latest gpus look shitty. Just look at farcry 4

Here is a link to a thread detailing a lot of the game's problems.

"That's what I heard on the road, anyway. Take it for what it is."

No. I do not consider this game playable. A large portion of PC users who own this game are unable to play due to terrible performance across a wide range of systems.

That isn't even discussing the large number of bugs that people have been experiencing.

I have an i5-4670k, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 770. According to Bioware's own built in settings detection tool, my system should be able to run the game at a little above high. Yet my frame rate crashes into 30 in quite a few areas. What is worse, having the settings set to anything above medium causes this effect. Even the Geforce Experience (which I only use as a standard when I'm desperate) says that my system can handle the game on high. Same result though. Either the game has some serious performance issues, or both Bioware and Nvidia now consider 30fps acceptable. Considering that many with systems better than mine are having similar issues, I'm inclined to say that it is the former.

My advice? Wait a bit, and let them patch some of these issues.

Yea see my above reply. These new games are full of bugs and bad optimisation imo. I should probably wait for more driver updates and patches.

Hi all i am tempted to buy the new dragon age game. However, i have a single msi gtx 970 and saw the benchmarks of it averaging about 55 fps. Does the game stutter and is it safe for me to buy and play at smooth fps? I have an i5 4690k and 8gb of ram

Dragon age is 44.99 on greenmangaming with this code   1MZ9FW-H92JSD-2CT74F.

Running fine on my rig (spec's below), using medium-high settings at 1440p. Actually been playing with a controller for once, keyboard and mouse just felt odd.

Edit: Also great game, 17 hours in, feel like I've barley scratched the surface. Hardcore Dragon Age and Bioware fan though, so consider me biased.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Running fine on my rig (spec's below), using medium-high settings at 1440p. Actually been playing with a controller for once, keyboard and mouse just felt odd.

Edit: Also great game, 17 hours in, feel like I've barley scratched the surface. Hardcore Dragon Age and Bioware fan though, so consider me biased.

saying you are such a Bioware fan, what did you think of dragon age 2?

saying you are such a Bioware fan, what did you think of dragon age 2?

I liked it, yeah, I know I'm the only one :) I also loved Mass Effect 3's ending, so maybe I just suck :)

DA2 was unique to me, travelling in the same area through time instead of the usual just through space. Though having said that they could of done better, and I'm not upset DA:I went the direction it did.

Edit: And I still think DA:O is the best of the series, but maybe DA:I will get even better later in the game.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Game ran great on my R9 290/I7, but a lot of Nvidia users where saying the game ran kind of bad.

Don't see why it wouldn't run great on a GTX 970 with a patch or two or new drivers though. I returned the game however (EA has a refund policy now). Controls were abysmal on mouse/keyboard, plot was awful, and I am pretty much done with Bioware (only reason I bought this was because of the refund policy). DA 2, SWTOR, ME 3 and this game being highly overrated is enough for me. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-inquisition

Currently rocking a 5.4 on meta critic user reviews. 

I highly recommend this game if you have always wanted to play a single player MMO, with awful controls, complete with boring quests (just like a MMO). Also if you are homosexual male, this game might be your all time favorite game. Romance options galore. 

SWTOR leveling is literally more fun than this game. Agent, knight story arcs were better as well (and that is a flipping MMO). Bioware was my all time favorite developer, but that Bioware is now dead. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Currently rocking a 5.4 on meta critic user reviews. 

Yeah...you shouldn't take much stock in that.  Or user scores on Metacritic, in general.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

Yeah...you shouldn't take much stock in that.  Or user scores on Metacritic, in general.

Yeah we should instead take stock in scores from PC Gamer and IGN who gave the last horrible DA game a sterling review, SWTOR an editor's choice award and ME3 a 9.5. Even IGN said the story in DA:I is weak (it is). It just is not a good game imo. Seems a lot of people think the same.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Not sure how you extrapolated my disapproval of metacritic's system for user scores as approval for IGN and PC Gamer, but that was not my intention.

If OP wants to know how well the game is running, I'd check out Total Biscuit's Port Report.  He runs using 2 980s in SLI though, so keep that in mind.  

To specifically answer your question, you probably will not achieve steady 60fps at 1080p at Ultra, especially when using the nicer MSAA over post processing AA (FXAA).  I'm only running a 670 and I bounce around 30-60, usually around 30-45 in most battles (which is where you'll see the most action happening).  I had to turn off MSAA (sucks) and use FXAA, but I wanted the nicest meshes/effects/textures so those are all on Ultra.  Compromises for an older card.  I don't think this is a huge problem though, as the game is graphically stunning with lots of moving folliage, water, effects running all the time.  I honestly think that, on a graphical technical level, it's a good PC port.

The controls, however, are kind of a pain in the ass.  You can see a lot of the design decisions for the menus and controls are designed around a controller.  Lots of switching menus to manage inventory and equipping and tactical view, as it currently stands, sucks.  You move the camera with WASD (what?) or you can hold shift and move the camera with the mouse (a pain, to say the least) and sometimes the camera doesn't zoom out far enough (not that tactical) and when it does, it doesn't fade out things that obscure your view.  It needs serious, serious work to make it worthwhile.  I believe the controls can easily be fixed, but fixing the camera might be a problem.  Devs have already acknowledged that people are upset, but nothing has been done yet.  So if this upsets you, I'd hold off for a few updates.  It's honestly been my biggest gripe about the game thus far in the 30 hours I've put into it.  And it's something I feel like I have to mention to PC gamers.

Since story is subjective (and I have the feeling I'm not that far into the game, despite spending 30 hours on it so far), I'll not comment on it.  But I do find all the characters in my party interesting and like hearing their banter.  I also find the logistics of being the Inquisitor, sending my spies, soldiers, and politicians out to do my bidding, fun as well.  I'm not sure how I will ultimately rank this game, but it's not a '0' or a '1' out of 10.  It's also not a 10 or a 9, either.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU