[Philippines] Government backed super Wifi network? Is this the real life?

This is was on the local news tonight... Looks like something good is coming to us...

The Senate finance committee has recommended an increase in the 2015 budget of DOST's Public Wi-Fi Program from P338 million ($7.5 million*) to P3 billion ($66.65 million), Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto said in a statement on Friday, November 21.

The DOST has identified 50,872 free Wi-Fi spots nationwide, from which the initial batch will be set up in 2015.

The list includes 7,917 public high schools, 38,694 public elementary schools, 113 state colleges, 1,118 public libraries, and public spaces in 1,490 towns.

In the DOST draft blueprint, WiFi will eventually be provided in 895 provincial, regional hospitals, and state medical centers in Metro Manila; Public Employment Service Offices; 85 airports; 41 seaports; and 69 LRT, MRT, and PNR stations.

Sources:

http://www.rappler.com/nation/75679-free-public-wifi-philippines-senate

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/gov-t-plans-nationwide-super-wi-fi-065258874--finance.html

http://www.interaksyon.com/infotech/bohol-fisherfolk-are-first-beneficiaries-of-philippines-super-wi-fi-tech

My thoughts:
Let it happen... I don't care if there's some corruption that will happen in the process as long as they roll this out and they keep it running at an acceptable level of performance...

We are a nation of over 7000 islands... They need to do something to bridge the islands.... And this might be the answer...

Edit: If this does not belong here... Go ahead and report it to the mods... I feel that this should belong here...

I could of gathered those stats with zmap using special arg probes, It sounds like the government wants more of our data. :L

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

you should put philippines in the title, for a sec i thought this was about merica

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I could of gathered those stats with zmap using special arg probes, It sounds like the government wants more of our data. :L

Our government is not as evil as you think (they're more on the tech-illiterate side)...

you should put philippines in the title, for a sec i thought this was about merica

Will do...

For once it looks like Philippines can get nice things... Haven't seen many positive news from there in ages.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

For once it looks like Philippines can get nice things... Haven't seen many positive news from there in ages.

ikr... There's too much negativity going on here... Government scandals, corruption, terrorism, crime, accidents, natural disasters, etc... every single f*cking day...

Not to mention that the telcos are trying to operate in the same way as their American coutnerparts... We've also got discussions on the internet as a basic service (Title II in America) instead of having it as a value-added service...

ikr... There's too much negativity going on here... Government scandals, corruption, terrorism, crime, accidents, natural disasters, etc... every single f*cking day...

Not to mention that the telcos are trying to operate in the same way as their American coutnerparts... We've also got discussions on the internet as a basic service (Title II in America) instead of having it as a value-added service...

You sure you still want to live there? Just asking, as it doesn't sound great...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

You sure you still want to live there? Just asking, as it doesn't sound great...

If I had the financial capacity to get out of here, I would... (it takes around 250kPhP to organize a short trip out of the country (includes economy-class plane tickets, paperwork, and taxes)...)

If I had the financial capacity to get out of here, I would... (it takes around 250kPhP to organize a short trip out of the country (includes economy-class plane tickets, paperwork, and taxes)...)

Oh... Well... I guess that hinders it a lot.

I hope that one day you could get enough money to move out of there so that your quality of life would dramatically increase.

Oh... Well... I guess that hinders it a lot.

I hope that one day you could get enough money to move out of there so that your quality of life would dramatically increase.

soon... (I'll be looking for employment outside the country)

soon... (I'll be looking for employment outside the country)

Good luck, buddy.

If i could i would like to help the country improve but seeing the current state, migrating sounds like a very good option than living here with all the crap.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

If i could i would like to help the country improve but seeing the current state, migrating sounds like a very good option than living here with all these crap.

The best way to help is to leave, gain knowledge and money, return, establish yourself, then finally enter politics... (One of the reasons I want to leave... but it's mostly the money... a month's work here is half a day's work elsewhere...)

The best way to help is to leave, gain knowledge and money, return, establish yourself, then finally enter politics... (One of the reasons I want to leave... but it's mostly the money... a month's work here is half a day's work elsewhere...)

Yeah like minimum daily wage is like an hour's wage in the US. Also, these WiFi networks must be above 10mb/s. I would prefer faster and cheaper internet than WiFi all over the place.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I wish to go to Canada or UK someday. Yeah the government is pretty bad here. Only thing that might make me stay here when I have enough money will might be the beautiful places and family. Other than that, even if this project will become a reality, I bet it's more than 50-100% overbudget.(Like the current political scandal in our country today)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Yeah like minimum daily wage is like an hour's wage in the US. Also, these WiFi networks must be above 10mb/s. I would prefer faster and cheaper internet than WiFi all over the place.

I just Googled it, and minimum wage in the Philippines appears to be $2USD an hour, or 90 PHP. Is that correct?

2 x 40 (hours a week, assuming the work week is as long in the Philippines as in the US) x 52 (weeks in a year) = 4,160 PHP, or $92.44 USD, which is virtually nothing in the US. That's like a month of cell data for two people. Or three month's worth of dollar-menu food at McDonalds. Or the complete hardback Harry Potter series. Or a year's worth of Netflix. Or two-thirds of my family's monthly water bill.

Minumum wage in my state is $15.

$15 x 40 x 52 = $31,200 a year. That's 1.404 million PHP.

The median pay here in the US (factoring out the 1%, which can skew the numbers if factored in) is $42,000 a year, or 1.89 million PHP.

My single-income family of four makes $72,000 a year (and we still have money troubles!), or 3.24 million PHP.

This is really eye-opening and rather sad. I hope you can all have a chance to leave if you wish. :)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I just Googled it, and minimum wage in the Philippines appears to be $2USD an hour, or 90 PHP. Is that correct?

2 x 40 (hours a week, assuming the work week is as long in the Philippines as in the US) x 52 (weeks in a year) = 4,160 PHP, or $92.44 USD, which is virtually nothing in the US. That's like a month of cell data for two people. Or three month's worth of dollar-menu food at McDonalds. Or the complete hardback Harry Potter series. Or a year's worth of Netflix. Or two-thirds of my family's monthly water bill.

Minumum wage in my state is $15.

$15 x 40 x 52 = $31,200 a year. That's 1.404 million PHP.

The median pay here in the US (factoring out the 1%, which can skew the numbers if factored in) is $42,000 a year, or 1.89 million PHP.

My single-income family of four makes $72,000 a year (and we still have money troubles!), or 3.24 million PHP.

This is really eye-opening and rather sad. I hope you can all have a chance to leave if you wish. :)

The 2USD/hr applies to the provinces... Minimum wage in large cities is around 8USD per hour... tax excluded...

Esitmated cost of living is around 4USD per day (at least, that's what I allocate) excluding utilities and housing...

Edit: I had part time work once where I got paid 0.50USD an hour...

Source: http://www.nwpc.dole.gov.ph/pages/statistics/stat_current_regional.html