Need Help Choosing CPU

So for the past couple of weeks i've been trying to configure my new gaming pc. For the most part this has gone well, but i have run into a little bit of a predicament. I simply cannot choose which cpu to go with, but i've narrowed it down to 2. a haswell 4770K or a ivy-bridge 3770K. i know that the haswell takes less power but generates more heat, and the ivy-bridge requires more power but overclocks better. the other thing that makes it hard is that on microcenter.com there only like $30 appart. so if anyone could help me i would gladly appreciate it. 

P.S.: I do plan on overclocking the cpu.

Here are the builds.

Haswell

CPU: Intel core i7 4770k 

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 3

Heatsink: Cooler Master Seidon 240M

GPU: ASUS HD 7870 GHz Edition

RAM: GSKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB)

PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Modular

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

Optical Drive: LG Black 12x BD-ROM

Case: NZXT Phantom 410

Ivy-Bridge

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k

Motherboard: ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6

Heatsink: Cooler Master Seidon 240M

GPU: Sapphire HD 7870

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

PSU: Corsair CX750

HDD: WD Black 1TB

Optical Drive: LG Black 12x BD-ROM

Case: NZXT Phantom 410

IVB or SB.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3. It is literally a 4770 for the price of an 4670k.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

First rev haswell boards have USB3 bugs, since you plan to OC you'll probably get very nearly the same performance out of your 3770 anyway

So I would go with the 3770k at this time.

if you can wait for the next chipset rev that resolves the USB3, get haswell for the power saving features.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3. It is literally a 4770 for the price of an 4670k.

apart from it's not unlocked and isn't clocked as high. OP wants to OC.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

apart from it's not unlocked and isn't clocked as high. OP wants to OC.

yeah, did not realize that in the first place, sry.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

go with an AMD cpu and put the extra money towards your GPU, it will make a bigger difference in gaming than a better CPU

go with an AMD cpu and put the extra money towards your GPU, it will make a bigger difference in gaming than a better CPU

i would but the amd cpu's just get way to hot for my liking.

i would but the amd cpu's just get way to hot for my liking.

i own one and it doesn't get hot at all...

First rev haswell boards have USB3 bugs, since you plan to OC you'll probably get very nearly the same performance out of your 3770 anyway

So I would go with the 3770k at this time.

if you can wait for the next chipset rev that resolves the USB3, get haswell for the power saving features.

i will take that into consideration, also do you know if the wattage on the psu is good enough for the build?

i will take that into consideration, also do you know if the wattage on the psu is good enough for the build?

So long as you're sticking with single GPU, 500W is just fine. I think AMD recommends 550 for all of their cards these days. Just get a good one. I suggest Seasonic.

A 3570k should be fine for gaming. Games aren't even that cpu demanding compared to the gpu. Get a 3570k and upgrade to a 7950 instead.

Also, 500w will be plenty for a 7870 and 600w for 7950.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.