Why so much hate for Corsair SP fans?

T.Vengeance

Most of the hate I see is pretty anecdotal. I've been searching around this subforum and of course there's plenty of Corsair SP 120...etc fans vs Noctua/other "better" fans. Is there any sort of real test though to back it up? I'm not going to ask which to get. There's plenty of that here already. But I am considering getting another SP120 but can't see any real numbers to point that they are as bad as people put them to be :(. Can someone help me out here? I'm planning to make a trip down to my local computer store, so any fan suggestions from: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=8_130&bsort=0&brand=0&price=0&location=NY would be appreciated :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I don't feel like pulling numbers, but I will tell you my personal experiences. I own two SP 120 "Quiet Edition" fans, they are used with my H100i. For something that is called quiet, they are not exactly such. The only louder fans I have are my Hyper 212 EVO fans and my GPU's fans. They also have a round housing, which doesn't help for static pressure, considering they don't properly seal on a square radiator. They're primarily made for style, and performance is okay but not astounding. If you care about acoustics, don't get them.

I could find some numbers though, will post when I get around to it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Considering how much noise they make, they just don't perform well enough. They advertise their quiet edition fans, even though they really arn't quiet. The only reason people buy them is either for the looks, or because they are from a big company and therefore assume "they must be amazing".

Considering you can get much better fans for cheaper (alot cheaper in some circumstances) there is just no reason to buy them over other fans, unless you really really like how they look.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

They don't look like literal sh*t, and also aren't brown or are 'silenced' optimized. 

Still, Deltas undervolt like champions. Huffs out more air at 4.0V vs the SP120PE that i have. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Bad performance, yeah the airflow and static pressure numbers look good, but 2350RPM is way more than any other fan with similar and even better airflow and static pressure stats. The result of bad blade design.

Better fans would be Enermax TwisterPressure, Enermax TwisterStorm (Loud as fuck, but crazy numbers), Cougar Vortex PWM, Noctua NF-F12 2000 industrialPPC PWM (Best option IMO), Gelid Wing 12 PL, Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PL-PS, Rosewill Hyperborea.

Any that Canada Computers doesn't have, NCIX or Newegg will.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Can someone help me out here? I'm planning to make a trip down to my local computer store, so any fan suggestions from: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=8_130&bsort=0&brand=0&price=0&location=NY would be appreciated :)

i don't find them intrusive at all. for $30 for a pair of fans with decent

performance isn't a bad deal. someone has got to not like 'em. but from a

lot of build logs, they sure do get a lot of photo time. mainly from the ring

aesthetic, there are quieter fans, usually costing more money for one and

there are some that are just obscure from the public.

my SP120QE PWM are less than 30cm from my ear and do not bother me

from noise levels, but those are sub 900 rpm. i have found that the rosewill

hyperborea fans are very comparable to performance and quiet at 12v too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200068

not everyone has radar-like hearing and to some not a bother, to some an

evil they cannot bare.

Other same priced fans preform better

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Other same priced fans preform better

what others? OP and others would like to know.

I don't like them because, in my experience, they run extremely loudly and don't perform well enough to make the noise worth it.

For a little more, ap123

For a little less, ap122.. I'll have to look for the same priced fans, but ap122 are better, granted not for sp application

@airdeano

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Not that I don't trust anyone here, but once again the SP120 being "louder" and "pushes less air", all of it being pretty anecdotal. @airdeano came closest to understanding what I wanted I guess. The reason why I want numbers is because I want to see how the fans compared to each other. If there is no significant difference, then I don't see a reason to not get the SP120 (imo they look the most aesthetically pleasing.) If lets say to push the same about of air, the SP120s compared to lets say NF-F12s spin at 300RPM more and  sound 5dB louder. To me that is fine. 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Not that I don't trust anyone here, but once again the SP120 being "louder" and "pushes less air", all of it being pretty anecdotal. @airdeano came closest to understanding what I wanted I guess. The reason why I want numbers is because I want to see how the fans compared to each other. If there is no significant difference, then I don't see a reason to not get the SP120 (imo they look the most aesthetically pleasing.) If lets say to push the same about of air, the SP120s compared to lets say NF-F12s spin at 300RPM more and  sound 5dB louder. To me that is fine. 

SP120 PE: 2350RPM, 3.1mm/H2O, 62.74CFM, 35dB

SP120 QE: 1450RPM, 1.29mm/H2O, 37.85CFM, 23dB

NF-F12: 1500RPM, 2.61mm/H2O, 55CFM, 22.4dB

NF-F12 2000 industrialPPC: 2000RPM, 3.94mm/H2O, 71.7CFM, 29.7dB

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Alright after more googling, I've found a site. http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/ventole/1058-recensione-corsair-air-serie-120-a-140mm.html?showall=&start=7

I was hoping for a bigger name, with more reputation. I guess this chart would suffice. 

dba-cfm-all.png

According to this graph, the SP120 PE isn't that far off from the high-pedestal NF-F12s in terms of dB. However according to the CFM vs RPM graph, it does need to spin about 1/3rd faster to achieve that 63CFM mark. I guess this could attribute to that 3 dB increase (mind you that is pretty insignificant.) I'm not sure how valid this is though. A 3dB increase is pretty surprising compared to how much everyone here on LTT complains about the SP120s being pretty loud. It's the best I could find though. @MourningSouls I was looking for actual tests, not numbers right off the box. IMO, they are pretty meaningless. Thanks though.

rpm-cfm-all.png