Acer XB270HU: 1440p 144hz G-Sync. Competition for the Swift.

Gdourado

Display port 1.2 does not have enough bandwidth to facilitate 144Hz at 1440P let alone 4K. Having spoken to Acer reps about 2 months ago when they were first bringing out the concept of a 4K panel supporting GSync at 144 Hz, they had to change their marketing material as they could not support 144Hz at 4K. If they were all using DP 1.3, there would be no issue. 

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying

EDIT: what about the swift? that uses 1.2 doesn't it?

Yes but the Swift is 144Hz, he's asking whether he should take the Swift/280 over 144Hz.

No no I was telling him about the acer 4k 60hz gysnc monitor, he means, should he choose 4k 60hz over 1440p 144hz.. I choose 4k 60hz gysnc personally

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

way too expensive.

Explain why.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Are you talking out of your ass? The Swift is 144Hz 1440p and uses DP1.2, i have it right in front of me.

I am well aware that it states it supports 1440P at 60Hz however it does not reach 144Hz - only about ~110Hz. It is physically impossible to currently reach 144Hz at 2560x1440 using DisplayPort 1.2.

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying

EDIT: what about the swift? that uses 1.2 doesn't it?

No no I was telling him about the acer 4k 60hz gysnc monitor, he means, should he choose 4k 60hz over 1440p 144hz.. I choose 4k 60hz gysnc personally

Well...then it's a malformed question: "swift or xb280hk over 144Hz"

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Explain why.

Because it's just tiny pcb with some cheap processor. Monitors have those anyway this one is just different and most of the hardware is already on the card itself.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I am well aware that it states it supports 1440P at 60Hz however it does not reach 144Hz - only about ~110Hz. It is physically impossible to currently reach 144Hz at 2560x1440 using DisplayPort 1.2.

Excuse me, but are you messing with me or just being blatantly ignorant?

Because it's just tiny pcb with some cheap processor. Monitors have those anyway this one is just different and most of the hardware is already on the card itself.

Translation: "I don't understand G-Sync nor the technology behind it, so it's overpriced."

Well...then it's a malformed question: "swift or xb280hk over 144Hz"

No the swift is 1440p 144hz, as is the zb270hu... 

He wanted to know my opinion on choosing.. 4k 60hz gsync (acer xb280) VS the Swift\xb270 (1440p 144hz gysnc)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Translation: "I don't understand G-Sync nor the technology behind it, so it's overpriced."

it makes a monitor cost twice as much. excuse me if I don't believe that tiny ass pcb costs more than the whole panel AND hardware driving it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Agreed, its hard to see EXACTLY what you are paying all that money for.... since you have already bought your expensive GPU, and the normal monitor is not exactly cheap anyway.. an extra few hundred just for gsync is a tall order

That "thingie" is an entire PCB with a processor, and it really is worth it. I went from a VG248QE to the Swift, G-Sync is as good as it was hyped to be.

Rather wait for FreeSync monitors to hit early next year. It's an open standard so you pay $0 for it being included with the device.

Display port 1.2 does not have enough bandwidth to facilitate 144Hz at 1440P let alone 4K. Having spoken to Acer reps about 2 months ago when they were first bringing out the concept of a 4K panel supporting GSync at 144 Hz, they had to change their marketing material as they could not support 144Hz at 4K. If they were all using DP 1.3, there would be no issue. 

lHuEhHH.png?1

Please stop with the BS...

Excuse me, but are you messing with me or just being blatantly ignorant?

I have had this discussion with  product managers from both Asus Australia and Asus Global and they're currently working on finding a solution.

I have had this discussion with  product managers from both Asus Australia and Asus Global and they're currently working on finding a solution.

From the Asus Website

Which DisplayPort version does it have?
DisplayPort 1.2 is required for native WQHD@144Hz support. All (GTX 650 Ti Boost or higher spec) ASUS GTX graphics cards offer this output.

So they are using misleading advertising???

Rather wait for FreeSync monitors to hit early next year. It's an open standard so you pay $0 for it being included with the device.

Right...we barely know anything about it and they haven't really made any good demonstrations. Also "FreeSync" will not be free. Monitors equipped with it will cost less than G-Sync ones, about 100$ less: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-freesync-enable-displays-will-cost-100-less-than-nvidia-g-sync-displays/

G-Sync doesn't just adapt the refresh rate to your GPU frame output but it also processes out of sync or misplaced frames.

FreeSync has been a load of talk, not much show. I'm using G-Sync right now, i can see it works, so have you tried both G-Sync and FreeSync in order to make that comment?

Just stop...

Can someone shut this guy up already?

lHuEhHH.png?1

Right...we barely know anything about it and they haven't really made any good demonstrations. Also "FreeSync" will not be free. Monitors equipped with it will cost less than G-Sync ones, about 100$ less: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-freesync-enable-displays-will-cost-100-less-than-nvidia-g-sync-displays/

G-Sync doesn't just adapt the refresh rate to your GPU frame output but it also processes out of sync or misplaced frames.

FreeSync has been a load of talk, not much show. I'm using G-Sync right now, i can see it works, so have you tried both G-Sync and FreeSync in order to make that comment?

FreeSync and G-Sync do essentially the same exact thing (keep frames in sync). Tho Nvidia charges you for proprietary licensing and modules.

1416475375572457.jpg

Samsung has already made the announcement that all of their UHD 2015 monitors will have FreeSync. More manufactures will jump aboard as well (since it costs nothing).

it makes a monitor cost twice as much. excuse me if I don't believe that tiny ass pcb costs more than the whole panel AND hardware driving it.

Do some research about FPGAs and try to say that again with confidence.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

FreeSync and G-Sync do essentially the same exact thing (keep frames in sync). Tho Nvidia charges you for proprietary licensing and modules.

Samsung has already made the announcement that all of their UHD 2015 monitors will have FreeSync. More manufactures will jump aboard as well (since it costs nothing).

GSYNC works with all display inputs whereas FreeSync is DP only.

Second, FreeSync still costs implementation money, even without royalties.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Are they the exact same though?

G-Sync uses hardware to sync the frames between the GPU and the Monitor.

Freesync seems to be a "better" V-Sync...

Will freesync effectively eliminate tearing like G-Sync does?

Cheers!

Just stop...

Can someone shut this guy up already?

He's right. Calculate the bandwidth yourself. DP 1.2 actually craps out at about 112 FPS on 1440p.

This is why Thunderbolt 3.0 is not a bad thing for having a huge bandwidth jump over DP 1.2. (Yes, TB uses the DP display standard, but it has essentially 4 asynchronous copies of that high bandwidth wire inside.

There's little to no cost for implementing FreeSync.

Of course it will cost some money to implement FreeSync. But the end result is nothing compared to implementation, module, and licensing costs that you have to cover with G-Sync.

Other than being limited to DP only, it's got some huge advantages over G-Sync other than cost.

Huge advantage?

I'm intrigued, please name some.

Explain why.

Because G-sync uses an overpriced FPGA processor, that couls easily be replaced by a MUCH MUCH cheaper IC chip doing the exact same. Furthermore, it has to have 750MB of monitor ram, and since it's a proprietary Nvidia tech, using only Nvidia's own chip, there is no competition on the g-sync hardware itself. All these things skyrockets the price upwards.

FPGA is usually used for prototypes. I guess it was good Nvidia used this, as G-sync did not work when it was supposed to be launched (the reason it was delayed half a year).

Since Adaptive Sync is a standard, it means several Scaler vendors can (and have) make their own AS scaler IC chip. This is why AS is at least 100$ cheaper than G-sync. Competition between the vendors, and novelty wearing off, will lower the price a lot in the next year too, I assume. After all, these IC should not be costlier in production than the current ones. Only the sunk cost investment will be payed off on the first products.

Is that why G-sync monitors like ASUS ROG, ONLY comes with DisplayPort connectors? DERP!

A newly developed scaler IC will obviously come with a price premium, but again competition between the Scaler vendors, and the payoff of the sunk cost of the development, should lower those prices fairly quickly.

Are they the exact same though?

G-Sync uses hardware to sync the frames between the GPU and the Monitor.

Freesync seems to be a "better" V-Sync...

Will freesync effectively eliminate tearing like G-Sync does?

Cheers!

Pretty much. Both rely on the eDP variable Vblank signal. G-sync just does it in a convoluted way, using proprietary tech, using older DP controllers (1.2 not 1.2a or 1.3).

As such "Freesync", or Adaptive Sync as the hardware standard is called, does exactly the same as G-sync, only less complicated, cheaper and as a standard.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro