Why cant I play Half life1?

joelthezombie15

So I have to use my parents crap computer from 07 and it runs but its not great anyway. So i just bought some older games on steam and they are, Ther thief bundle, System shock 2, half life, and Gmod. So my PC this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107510 runs everything fine even gmod the fps is low but it is more than playable (avg. 22 fps) but when i go to play half life (no mods or anything) It lags and freaks out, like the audio doubles over and glitches and freaks out, i jump all over the screen when i try and walk, walking is really choppy. So whats the matter? I can play thief just fine and they came out in the same year and i can play gmod so why cant i play half life? was the install messed up? or is it just the pc? Please help i really want to be able to play it.

BTW, the specs say it has 2 gb of ram but it only has 1 1gb stick, i checked :(

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Half Life 1? http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Half_Life#Patches_.28non-Steam.29, might wanna try the patch and see if it helps.

Okay thanks and ya half life one 

EDIT: those patches arent for steam.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

They are official, should work fine even with steam I think. I'll keep investigating :p 

They are unofficial, should work fine. 

How do i add them?

How do i add them?

I've tried to search for an answer but I couldn't come up with anything :F I don't know how safe it is to run the installer on your Half Life that came with the patch itself... My last guess would be to just try fiddle around with the settings and resolutions. Also, try run it as a admin and in compatibility mode Windows 98. Let me know what happens haha

I have the steam version of half life and I just tried running it on an old laptop. It worked fine. I was hoping to see if I could get the same weird laggynes. Sorry, I can't help D:

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

So I have to use my parents crap computer from 07 and it runs but its not great anyway. So i just bought some older games on steam and they are, Ther thief bundle, System shock 2, half life, and Gmod. So my PC this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107510 runs everything fine even gmod the fps is low but it is more than playable (avg. 22 fps) but when i go to play half life (no mods or anything) It lags and freaks out, like the audio doubles over and glitches and freaks out, i jump all over the screen when i try and walk, walking is really choppy. So whats the matter? I can play thief just fine and they came out in the same year and i can play gmod so why cant i play half life? was the install messed up? or is it just the pc? Please help i really want to be able to play it.

BTW, the specs say it has 2 gb of ram but it only has 1 1gb stick, i checked :(

If you can play Gmod I recommend downloading Blackmesa http://www.blackmesasource.com/

If you have played HL1 already you will love this remake if not you won't miss anything except the last 1/3 of the game which thay are working on.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/