Largest Shared Memory System To Date

Opcode

Source

System features 5184 CPU cores and 20.7 TBytes of shared memory, handles massive amounts of data as the first part of a new large cloud computing facility for Big Data Analytics.

Numascale today announced the successful installation of a large shared memory Numascale/Supermicro/AMD system at a customer datacenter facility in North America. The system is the first part of a large cloud computing facility for analytics and simulation of sensor data combined with historical data.

The Numascale system, installed over the last two weeks, consists of 108 Supermicro 1U servers connected in a 3D torus with NumaConnect™, using three cabinets with 36 servers apiece in a 6x6x3 topology. Each server has 48 cores three AMD Opteron™ 6386 CPUs and 192 GBytes memory, providing a single system image and 20.7 TBytes to all 5184 cores. The system was designed to meet user demand for “very large memory” hardware solutions running a standard single image Linux OS on commodity x86 based servers.

That's a hella lot of memory for a single image system.

"1 million chrome tabs open hellz yea"

Do they play around with it after being built to "ensure stability" before operating it under normal loads? I'd love to be the guy to load up Minecraft or FSX on there just to screw around with it. :D

Nice to see this. Right after Nvidia partnered to make a supercomputer. If only they weren't sworn enemies and they combined these techs....

Still not enough processing power to get AC:Unity to 60fps  :P

Yes I know CPU not GPU but still wanted to make the joke

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

"1 million chrome tabs open hellz yea"

Give me couple of hours on TVTopes and I will bring this thing down to its knees.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.