Is Microsoft's New Xbox Heading in the Wrong Direction?

Have they completely lost it? Microsoft reveals their best effort for the Next Generation of Gaming the Xbox One. An All-In-One Entertainment system (sound familiar?) with an upgraded Kinect device. Unfortunately our worst fears just may have been confirmed, one that might be remembered as the largest mistake in the current console wars, a Draconian mandatory policy against Used Games.

Ice Cream Man's Computer -3770K @4.5ghz- P8Z77-V PRO -Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 4 GB -Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866mhz -Corsair AX750 Gold -WD 2TB Black -M4 128GB SSD

The used game policy doesn't bother me one bit. The checking in with your connection every 24 hour does. I know plenty of people who live in dorms that can't use their Xbox at college online, as well as people in the military. 

50 minutes and 30 seconds until we get info :)

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-press-conference/

Pretty much exactly when I have to go back to school and write an exam...no more watching Xbox slowly die for me

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Regardless, I'm not getting one. I will not support such a move in the Video Game industry.

I have a horrid feeling that Sony will follow suit but wait to tell us until the PS4 launches (or at their own Press Conference), so that all the hate is on Microsoft. 

Even though the PS1 is what got me into gaming (alongside the Nintendo 64), and I am a major Sony Fanboi (spelling intentional), I will not buy that either if it is the case that they won't let us sell our used games. And if that is the case, I will be sending a letter to Sony expressing my distaste for their new practices as well as my disappointment that they would even try and do that. 

But here's to hope.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

They're making the same mistakes Sony made last gen, so to consider these decisions odd is an understatement. With that said, many hardcore players have moved to PC (considering the ridiculous life span of the last gen), so MS may not be so silly to target an audience outside of gamers IMO. It made Nintendo a lot of money despite gaining the ire of many a gamer, so it's not entirely surprising to see someone else emulate that strategy.

I don't see the new used games policy as a bad move if they play their cards just right. Steam works amazingly well for PC gamers with the frequent sales and reasonable DRM; if Xbox One/PS4 implement something like that, it could very well work out.

Personally, a better choice would be to eliminate used games entirely, allow unrestricted play on any console (assuming only playing a game on one console, not actively on 2 or more) if you're logged in with your own profile, and slash the game prices by at least 50% or have frequent sales.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2