Can I mix RAM clocked speeds and sizes?

pancoon

Hey everyone, since I video edit and do some video SFX, I need more RAM. Currentpy I have 2x4GB sticks of these: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820231654&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566 How should go about this? Buy 2x8GB sticks to rill the other two slots to make 24 GB? Cwn ai mix clock speeds and size of the RAM lile 2x4GBs and 2x8GBs. Can I mix brands too?

All RAM will run at the slowest speed.

You can mix and match but, it generally isn't suggested as it often causes more problems then its worth.

I would buy a 2x8gb kit and sell the old 2x4gb. You can then upgrade in the future if you see fit.

Yes, you can use different sized sticks but you would only be able to run them in single channel. Clock speeds along with timings and voltage must match. Brands can be mixed. 

Ram isn't guaranteed to run in any configuration out of the kits you buy them in but will still generally work with the same settings. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Mixing brands it no problem. mixing speeds is fine too, as long as the timings match up. Same CAS. It would just work under the lower speed. Mixing different sizes, I believe it also works works like the speed, finding the Largest common multiple.

All RAM will run at the slowest speed.

You can mix and match but, it generally isn't suggested as it often causes more problems then its worth.

I would buy a 2x8gb kit and sell the old 2x4gb. You can then upgrade in the future if you see fit.

Does RAM sell well? If I really wanted to keep the 2x4GB sticks, woulf they at least work? Also, how does the CAS play into this?

Mixing brands is no issue.

Mixing clocks speeds is just fine, but the RAM will run at the speed of the slowest DIMM. So, if you have a 1600MHz kit and a 2133MHz kit, then the RAM will run at 1600MHz.

Mixing capacities isn't an issue as long as SAME CAPACITY DIMMS ARE IN THE SAME CHANNEL. For example, there are 4 slots; 1, 2, 3, and 4 and 2 8GB sticks and 2 4GB sticks. Put the 2 4GB sticks in the same channel and the 2 8GB sticks in the other channel. If you don't the RAM will run in single channel mode.

EDIT: Yeah, as stated above, timings must match, and it is probably best to sell the old kit.

Mixing brands it no problem. mixing speeds is fine too, as long as the timings match up. Same CAS. It would just work under the lower speed. Mixing different sizes, I believe it also works works like the speed, finding the Largest common multiple.

OK so CAS has to be the same.

Mixing brands is no issue.

Mixing clocks speeds is just fine, but the RAM will run at the speed of the slowest DIMM. So, if you have a 1600MHz kit and a 2133MHz kit, then the RAM will run at 1600MHz.

Mixing capacities isn't an issue as long as SAME CAPACITY DIMMS ARE IN THE SAME CHANNEL. For example, there are 4 slots; 1, 2, 3, and 4 and 2 8GB sticks and 2 4GB sticks. Put the 2 4GB sticks in the same channel and the 2 8GB sticks in the other channel. If you don't the RAM will run in single channel mode.

Current RAM is in its own channel, thanks for the help.