Worth Upgrading From Core 2 Quad?

RubyRoks

As time rolls by, games get more and more CPU intensive and the outdated Core 2 Quad Q8300 i'm running now likely won't hold up very soon. I have an LGA 1155 motherboard lying around, but would picking up an i3 3250 and DDR3 RAM be a better upgrade than swapping my GTX 560 and sketchy PSU for something better(i.e R9 270 and a PSU from a brand that's not "RocketFish")?

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

Grab a Corsair CX 600, and go 4690k/Z97.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Grab a Corsair CX 600, and go 4690k/Z97.

nowhere near my budget mate. I MAYBE have $300 max to spend

Get a G3258 + Hyper 212 EVO, OC'ing that should keep you going for a bit.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I've thought about that, but i'm not entirely sure that 2 threads will be able to sustain things like video recording or heavy multitasking(games, chrome, Teamspeak,) as well as an i3(although even that isn't too great). I figure that, for the same price as my i3 upgrade idea thanks to me already owning the MoBo, the i3 might be a better fit as an upgrade possibility.

I have an H61 board, so the K series part won't be used to its full potential, but thanks for pointing that out. i still need RAM though, and i don't want any less than 8GB. THAT is why i decided on the i3.

He doesn't have an LGA1150 socket motherboard. He said he's got an LGA 1155 motherboard, so he needs a 3rd gen processor.

According to this: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/611/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q8300_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-3250.html

And these: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-3250+%40+3.50GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q8300+%40+2.50GHz

The i3 seems to be a pretty good deal if you decide to upgrade your CPU.

I've thought about that, but i'm not entirely sure that 2 threads will be able to sustain things like video recording or heavy multitasking(games, chrome, Teamspeak,) as well as an i3(although even that isn't too great). I figure that, for the same price as my i3 upgrade idea thanks to me already owning the MoBo, the i3 might be a better fit as an upgrade possibility.

If you want to do video recording, then you need to stretch that wallet mate.

Your expectations are way too high for such a low budget. Just trying to be realistic here. Also, the G3258, when OC'd matches the likes of the i5 in gaming. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

He doesn't have an LGA1150 socket motherboard. He said he's got an LGA 1155 motherboard, so he needs a 3rd gen processor.

According to this: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/611/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q8300_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-3250.html

And these: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-3250+%40+3.50GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q8300+%40+2.50GHz

The i3 seems to be a pretty good deal if you decide to upgrade your CPU.

Thanks mate :)

If you want to do video recording, then you need to stretch that wallet mate.

Your expectations are way too high for such a low budget. Just trying to be realistic here. Also, the G3258, when OC'd matches the likes of the i5 in gaming. 

I disagree. For lighter games like CS:GO and Minecraft(the kind of games i'd be recording), an I3 would do fine(although the GTX 560 will hold me back too). I've seen it done, actually. Here's far cry 3 recorded on an i3 and a R7 260: 

I need DDR3 RAM, that's why. i'm also calculating price BEFORE mail in rebates and such. but thanks for the input :)

Sorry, forgot about the RAM. New list with RAM: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/UnderwearThief/saved/83FYcf

Personally, I think I would grab that i3 and some RAM and then upgrade the GPU later. The 560 will run things, albeit at lower settings, OK for a little while.

Sorry, forgot about the RAM. New list with RAM: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/UnderwearThief/saved/83FYcf

Personally, I think I would grab that i3 and some RAM and then upgrade the GPU later. The 560 will run things, albeit at lower settings, OK for a little while.

Sounds like a good option concidering that with the GPU and PSU, the build is nearly $100 over budget before rebates. Not to mention i'm not even running full HD, so my settings will be a little higher.

I disagree. For lighter games like CS:GO and Minecraft(the kind of games i'd be recording), an I3 would do fine(although the GTX 560 will hold me back too). I've seen it done, actually. Here's far cry 3 recorded on an i3 and a R7 260: 

Just barely, playing at 1280x1024, and recording @720p in that video.

Just barely, playing at 1280x1024, and recording @720p in that video.

Yes, but it's Far Cry. A vastly less demanding game like Minecraft, CS:GO, TF2, or an emulator would likely be recorded just fine.

As time rolls by, games get more and more CPU intensive and the outdated Core 2 Quad Q8300 i'm running now likely won't hold up very soon. I have an LGA 1155 motherboard lying around, but would picking up an i3 3250 and DDR3 RAM be a better upgrade than swapping my GTX 560 and sketchy PSU for something better(i.e R9 270 and a PSU from a brand that's not "RocketFish")?

I've got a core 2 quad QX9770 and I'm finding that its just as good as my i5 4440, if not better. Plus there is the fact that it will fit in the same socket as your Q8300, plus there is the fact that it can be overclocked quite well. (The i3 is a dual core with hyper threading, it will suck at BF4, unlike a core 2 quad)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I've got a core 2 quad QX9770 and I'm finding that its just as good as my i5 4440, if not better. Plus there is the fact that it will fit in the same socket as your Q8300, plus there is the fact that it can be overclocked quite well. (The i3 is a dual core with hyper threading, it will suck at BF4, unlike a core 2 quad)

My current MoBo isn't overclocking capable. and the benchmarks i've seen say that an i3 is similar in performance to that C2Q QX9770 (example: http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/Intel+Core+2+Extreme+Processor+QX9770/review)

op get a core i5 or i7 that is supported by your 1155 motherboard.

if it wont support overclocking just get a locked one, it will be even cheaper.

any of these will be much better than your socket 775 core 2 

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

op get a core i5 or i7 that is supported by your 1155 motherboard.

if it wont support overclocking just get a locked one, it will be even cheaper.

I would still need RAM(assuming my brother won't give me his old sticks), so my upgrade options are limited.

I would still need RAM(assuming my brother won't give me his old sticks), so my upgrade options are limited.

you can find older used cpus for cheap, get a single 8gb stick of ddr3 as cheap as possible...but get a quad core or stick with what you have.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you can find older used cpus for cheap, get a single 8gb stick of ddr3 as cheap as possible...but get a quad core or stick with what you have.

Dual cores (espesially ones with hyperthreading) are just fine. an i3 is far and away better than my C2Q. I don't really see the immediate need to get an i5/i7

Dual cores (espesially ones with hyperthreading) are just fine. an i3 is far and away better than my C2Q. I don't really see the immediate need to get an i5/i7

i owned both, and the core i3 will leave you hoping for more, trust me.

i owned both, and the core i3 will leave you hoping for more, trust me.

not trying to be rude, but this is the internet...words are kinda meh on trustworthiness. Care to show me benchmarks?

not trying to be rude, but this is the internet...words are kinda meh on trustworthiness. Care to show me benchmarks?

sure, you wanna play modern games on this?

heres what my first google search gave me, keep in mind that this is haswell i3 review which is better than the sandy bridge or ivy bridge i3 you are looking at:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/11/14/intel-core-i3-4130-haswell-review/5

Edit: trying to find review on these older i3 that correctly represent the performance is hard cause games have gone a long way since they came out and most games used for testing those chips are considered old tech by todays standards...