1 PSU, 2 motherboards ?

silencerbob

I want to run a media server (using windows 7/8)that uses very little power, low specs, much like a NAS. I also want a dedicated overclocked gaming PC. Is it possible to run 2 mobos in the one case, using the same power supply?

The idea is to run the media server 24/7, but the gaming PC only when I'm home.

I've yet to purchase anything .. Getting a feel of whats possible.

The media server PC requires windows for the TV tuner. I have all the software, just need an idea for the hardware.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Power supplies only have one 24pin power connector, if you can find an adapter then its ok but you have more obstacles to overcome because your media server is ready

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Better off just getting a cheap psu for the media centre and a decent for the gaming rig, if the case is big enough for 2 mobo's i'm certain you can get a second psu in.

Wouldn't really be worth the hassle to power it off one.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

You could solder an adapter to have 2 24pin-connectors and run the two mainboards in parallel configuration, but I think they could still affect each other electricly that way.

Here is what you can do: Get a micro PSU like this one: www.mini-box.com for your gaming PC. Use it to power your mainboard only and run your drives, GPU and stuff from the power supply of your media rig which is constantly running.

Even then, there are still downsides. I don't know what happens, if a graphics crad is under voltage all the time and you will have to get WD green drives or some other ones that power off automaticly.

If you're feeling up to it, you could mod out a prodigy (small which is good for media PC) by doing the same concept as the Prodigious Mod on overclocked.net: http://www.overclock.net/t/1313366/complete-project-prodigious-ocns-march-2013-motm

Basically he took out the center tray for the mobo, and put in a custom vertical one. You may be able to squeeze two sfx power supplies such as the silverstone 450w sfx modular power supply on each side of the tray. It's a rather adventurous mod, although it would be pretty amazing. As well, you would be able to use a MITX mobo for your media PC (I would put that on the back due to heat) and a Matx for your gaming PC.

With all this in mind, it would be a tough task, especially with the prodigy due to it being riveted, but completely possible. You would just have to make sure there is strong enough airflow. I would get the black for the mesh and put dual fans In the front to push air through both sides, preferably so fans from corsair. As well, it would be one hell of a fun project to do!

An ultimate lurker                My Current Rig

CPU- I5 3570K GPU- AMD HD7950 Motherboard- Asus P8H77-I Ram- 8GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo SSD- Samsung 256GB 850 Pro, 256GB OCZ Agility

Hard Drive- 2TB WD Green Power Supply- Silverstone 450W SFX Case- Bitfenix Prodigy Operating Systems- Windows 7/OSX Mavericks Monitor- HP Pavillion 23BW IPS 

yes it would work but when you turn one one the other will turn on due to the green wire or your ps on wire being ground to turn on so you would have to make sort of splitter or something very complex its not worth the hassle just get another psu.