All Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10

Aniallation

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7216421/microsoft-says-every-lumia-windows-phone-8-device-will-get-windows-10

Microsoft just confirmed, all Windows Phone 8 devices under the Lumia brand will be getting an update to the mobile version of Windows 10.

Microsoft doesn't plan on making the same mistake twice: the company has made a public pledge that all of Nokia's Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to the mobile version of Windows 10 when it's released. Responding to a customer's question on the topic, Microsoft tweeted, "We plan to upgrade all Windows Phone 8 devices to Windows 10 in the future." Microsoft's next big operating system remains in early development, so the company obviously isn't revealing details as to when that update will arrive.

rWdN4AR.jpg

Still, the direct confirmation should allow Lumia owners to breathe a sigh of relief and know that history won't repeat itself. Microsoft enraged its small but loyal base of Windows Phone 7 users when it revealed existing devices wouldn't make the jump to Windows Phone 8 in 2012. That was mostly due to a significant change in the software's kernel, but the technical explanation did little to heal the wound. The underpinnings between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 10 aren't so drastically different, so another cutoff wasn't expected. But a promise that every last Lumia running Windows Phone 8 will get Microsoft's latest software is still good to hear.

"Rawr XD"

I will be interested in what windows 10 looks like on mobile because so far the whole idea of it is straying away from what makes windows 8 windows 8

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

aaawwwww yis :D cant wait 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

im using windows phone right now, 8.1 something something something.

IT IS CRAP, i mean its is literally like they took the good parts of android and ios and ignored them.

Might consider a lumia...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Jolly marvellous, so long as the dev preview gets a nosey at it early on, then I'll make sure to try it out on my 8S that way, as htc certainly won't update it themselves.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

IT IS CRAP, i mean its is literally like they took the good parts of android and ios and ignored them.

I've got 8.1 on my phone and it's great, a lot better than the original 8 and I find has got some features that are encouraging for the future.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Ummm. I have totally different experience.

As do I. I see it as a stepping stone from the extreme locked down-ness of iOS to the very open, do-whatever-you-want Android

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I greatly enjoy my Windows Phone. I bought in to the whole ecosystem (Office 365, Xbox Music, Onedrive etc.) and it works really well. I've used Android and I just can't find anything to like about it. This is great news for me and I look forward to having Windows 10 on all my devices.

Great to hear that the Lumia 830 I just upgraded to in October will be getting updated!

To the guy further up in the thread who said WP was a crap experience... That may be your experience, but I, and all the people who quoted you, love the experience.

I find the main reason that people don't like WP is because its not Android. Of course its not Android. If that's what your expectations were then no wonder you were disappointed.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Even my little 520 ? Wow... 

I've got a black one, it's a great little phone for the money eh :P

Great to hear that the Lumia 830 I just upgraded to in October will be getting updated!

To the guy further up in the thread who said WP was a crap experience... That may be your experience, but I, and all the people who quoted you, love the experience.

I find the main reason that people don't like WP is because its not Android. Of course its not Android. If that's what your expectations were then no wonder you were disappointed.

My mum recently got an Android phone and is always asking me stuff about it. I had to navigate around the phone and download a few apps for the first time I used Android... It was horrible. The whole OS just seems cluttered and clunky. I mean, WP8.1 has it's problems, but I don't think I could ever use Android unless I was using something like a One M8.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

My mum recently got an Android phone and is always asking me stuff about it. I had to navigate around the phone and download a few apps for the first time I used Android... It was horrible. The whole OS just seems cluttered and clunky. I mean, WP8.1 has it's problems, but I don't think I could ever use Android unless I was using something like a One M8.

Depends what you're used to. People consider me a person that knows everything about Android phones because they ask me to do something and even if it's very complicated for them, click, click, done. It's only because I've had 20+ Android phones and I'm used to it.

Give me a Windows phone and I won't even know how to go into the settings menu (I actually don't)

"Rawr XD"

Depends what you're used to. People consider me a person that knows everything about Android phones because they ask me to do something and even if it's very complicated for them, click, click, done. It's only because I've had 20+ Android phones and I'm used to it.

Give me a Windows phone and I won't even know how to go into the settings menu (I actually don't)

You just swipe down from top to pull down notification menu, then there are some quick settings, and a button for all settings. Alternatively you could swipe left from the Start screen and find "Settings" in the All Apps list. You could also pin a shortcut to Settings on your Start screen.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Yeah honestly I can learn to do anything I need to do pretty quickly, it took me maybe half an hour to learn where most things were in WP8, even before the Cyan update. I don't have a problem knowing how to do things in Android, it just feels... Bad.. Overall, if that makes sense. Just clunky really.

Btw to get to the settings, there's a few ways. Sometimes people will have the settings tile on the home screen thing, the logo looks like a cog/gear/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. If not, you can pull the notification menu thing down from the top (there's no indication that it's there, you just slide down from the very top of the screen, this came with the Cyan update), the "all settings" option is on the right there. If not, from the home screen thing, slide it to the left and they'll be this app menu thing, showing all the apps you have on the phone, settings is in there.

I've forgotten all the names that Microsoft gave all those menus and pages and what-not, hopefully that makes sense.

You just swipe down from top to pull down notification menu, then there are some quick settings, and a button for all settings. Alternatively you could swipe left from the Start screen and find "Settings" in the All Apps list. You could also pin a shortcut to Settings on your Start screen.

God damn it. 2quik4me

Fucking SWEET.

Everyone laughed when I got a W8 phone, well who's laughing now? At least I don't get hacked and I get a free OS upgrade.

You mean the whole "overly complicated annoying bullshit" part of them?

I want a PHONE. thats it, send and receive calls and texts, take pics and vid, and get me online. Don't need 10000034923784903274983217694874589237489712631764247654327642379846 useless apps for meaningless bullshit, don't need to root the system.

JUST BE A FUCKING PHONE WITH INTERNET ACCESS = WINNING.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I will be interested in what windows 10 looks like on mobile because so far the whole idea of it is straying away from what makes windows 8 windows 8

On desktops yes but on tablets it still has the old start menu so I guess it'll be more of the same

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place