Ubisoft Responds to Low Frame Rates in Assassin's Creed Unity

Mush Brain

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I just remembered that Ubisoft also owns the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise.

Damn...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Can someone summarise the video?
I cant listen to it from school...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ye can someone summerize it? i´m curently dowloadint acuinty on uplay and i dont want to low my download speed( i swear i shit you not, but i got it for 30 bucks so whatever)

I just remembered that Ubisoft also owns the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise.

Damn...

Well it isn't like they could ever make a game better than HoMM 3 anyway.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

"....didn't do it on purpose....neglect" 

See, I just have one major issue with this....Unity is the seventh major release....and they still don't understand that the game needs to be optimized for pc as well as consoles....really? 

"It performs poorly due to lots of shadows/objects to render....it's designed for the next generation of 'breakthrough graphics"  -- Ubi digger dev

./all paraphrasing 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The problem:

AC: Unity runs at 37-45FPS with a GTX 980, Hex core Intel CPU, and 16GB of RAM at 1080p with Ultra settings. With the same system, it runs at 65-85FPS on Low at 1080p.

Potential reasons for why that's the problem:
Ubisoft did it on purpose (makes no sense); Ubisoft did it out of neglect (makes no sense); Consoles hit a bottleneck (graphics VS resolution VS FPS).

Ubisoft's developer's response:
Giant Open world game; Paris requires large amounts of detail and the city is to scale; tens of thousands of objects casting/receiving shadows on screen; entire game world has global illumination & reflections; stabilized AA, etc etc.

Video caster's question:
"Was there a debate internally about downscaling these effects to allow for lower end system requirements?"

Ubisoft developer's response:
"We talked about it a lot, but our position always came back to us ensuring that AC: Unity is a 'Next Gen' only game with 'breakthrough graphics'. With this vision, we did not degrade the visual quality of the game.

On PC, we have several options for lowering these settings..."

Video caster's response:
Even on low settings, the FPS is still terrible, so that doesn't make sense.

Vitalius' own quip:
"Maybe low settings isn't very low. I bet reflection and all that optional stuff is still on, even on Low. And that's what's taking such a hit."

<They go on to compare it to Crysis 1>

Long story short: They wanted the game to be a certain way, and removed the ability to easily lower the settings to an enjoyably playable point. Which is still kinda BS imo, but whatever.

The game is probably gorgeous, but I'll not play it. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Can someone summarise the video?

I cant listen to it from school...

ye can someone summerize it? i´m curently dowloadint acuinty on uplay and i dont want to low my download speed( i swear i shit you not, but i got it for 30 bucks so whatever)

Summary: Hurr dur much objects, can't compute... we didn't want to compromise much objects for better framerates

read: tumblr_m7ohi4Xjso1r21l67o1_500.gif

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

PC perspective are defending ubisoft what is this? it's so obvious that ubisoft released an unpolished and broken game, they should have delayed the PC version like they usually do, having a fully functional game jeezz

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

its designed for next generation of what?  it has 20fps on 'next gen' consoles too

so today i tried the game at a friend. played for like half an hour(this includes messing up with setting ) then i fired up AC black flag...lemme tell you its like someone released the brakes.it runs so smooth compared to unity.the experience is totally different

why cant unity be like that atleast on medium settings? its a broken game and i cant play it like this

Apparently it's AMD fault this time:

We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin’s Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations. This should not affect the vast majority of PC players, but rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/ubisoft-points-finger-amd-technical-bugs-assassins-creed-unity/#ixzz3IzOcx94C

What can be the actual reason:

The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs pooping all over the place. On the other hand, consoles have to-the-metal access and almost non-existent API Overhead but significantly underpowered hardware which is not able to cope with the stress of the multitude of polygons. Simply put, its a very very bad port for the PC Platform and an unoptimized (some would even go as far as saying, unfinished) title on the consoles.