GTX 970 Issues (sort of)

Ober1kenobi

I am having no problem with the actual card, it runs fine etc, it's the software im pretty sure

So before the GTX 970 I had a AMD R9 270 in which all the games I had previously had been running fine

Since installing the 970 I am having problems with a few games

Battlefield 4 will no longer let me access the options menu because my PC will completely Freeze
(Also having Cloud/Local data problems, so I'm not sure uninstalling would be the best idea if I don't have anything in the cloud..which i don't know, it should be server side(origin) but the client side is still...)

Borderlands 2 also completely freezes after i take the first 2 steps after the game loads up

Borderlands 2 was working the on 970 Prior but I was running the PhysX off the CPU and not the GPU, but performance was tanking down to 20-30fps.. Like borderlands 2 isn't that demanding..

I'm just not sure whats going on

Is it best to uninstall the games I'm having trouble with and re installing them ?

Case: NZXT H440, Motherboard: Z97 ROG Ranger, CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHZ CL9, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, PSU: Cooler Master V650, Cooling: Swiftech H320, Monitors: 3 x Benq VZ2350

4690k.

10 months ago I had the game running fine off the R9 270 and a i3

Case: NZXT H440, Motherboard: Z97 ROG Ranger, CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHZ CL9, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, PSU: Cooler Master V650, Cooling: Swiftech H320, Monitors: 3 x Benq VZ2350

4690k.

10 months ago I had the game running fine off the R9 270 and a i3

Run driver sweeper and then reinstall the latest WHQL driver.

delete all the amd drivers

Already done that, However I have heard of some people having bad issues with driver sweeper.

Already done that, However I have heard of some people having bad issues with driver sweeper.

use windows system restore to create a system restore point before you use driver sweeper... trust me... I learnt the hard way and had to reinstall windows... the SECOND time it ruined my installation (thanks AMD drivers) I was able to use system restore.

it sounds like a driver issue for sure. uninstall ALL NVidia stuff, including Physix, reboot, uninstall ALL the AMD drivers, reboot, install the Nvidia drivers, reboot. test. if this method dosnt work then use DDD (driver uninstaller)

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I havent used driver sweeper at all

All the AMD drivers are gone, and i recently re-installed .16

Try uninstalling and re-installing everything? (not just drivers)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

me personally any time i upgrade my system i fresh install a new os and everything. it might take an extra hour but it cuts out all the extra bull shit like this.

me personally any time i upgrade my system i fresh install a new os and everything. it might take an extra hour but it cuts out all the extra bull shit like this.

I had similar problems going from an

old hd 4870 to my gtx 650 ti, after screwing around for hours I ended up just doing a re-install of windows and all of the issues were cleared up. And running PhysX of the cpu isn't a good idea, your better off just using a entry level card, I found that out for myself after running Nvidia's benchmarking tool (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/put-your-system-through-its-paces-download-the-pla-directx-11-and-physx-benchmark). With my 650 ti set to run as the dedicated physx card, I had the average frame rate equal that of the max fps of the 970 doing everything on its own, and that's with the 650 running off a pcie x 16 v2.1 slot @ 2x (970 takes up a pcie x16 v3 slot), running everything off the CPU (which in my case disabled physx) gave even better fps than either solution, at the cost of some effects.

post-155575-0-14476700-1415943566_thumb.

post-155575-0-84884400-1415943588_thumb.

post-155575-0-20042300-1415943696_thumb.

And since Borderlands 2 uses PhysX, like the unreal engine, you will notice big improvements.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL