SSDs Please help!

kareemk98

Hey guys, i am almost done with my build, just clearing some confusion up before i get the parts...

I would like to ask for your help on which is the better option BETWEEN these 3 choices:

Run 2 Intel 530 series 120gb SSDs in RAID 0 Configuration

Run 2 Crucial MX100 128gb SSDs in Raid 0 Configuration

Run 1 Crucial MX100 256gb SSD alone

(They are not the main storage, i also have a 1TB HD, but im using an SSD for speed)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

KK  :D

1 Crucial MX100 256.

This^

why do u guys think that? :P Please explain so i understand peoples opinions, thank you!

128GB is not enough space. Trust me.

I'd say get either MX100 or 840 Evo with 250 or 500GB space.

why do u guys think that?  :P Please explain so i understand peoples opinions, thank you!

I believe the 256 was suggested the most because RAID 0 for SSDs isn't really needed as it's fast enough already in the regular way and 128GB just isn't enough space for someone that has many games/programs in the SSD.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

If i'm understanding what you're trying to do, you want to get a SSD, not for the main drive, but used as speed for your 1TB HDD? In that case, I won't even bother on grabbing a SSD. SSD caching only works on specific Intel chipsets and the maximum size limit is around 64GB. Anything higher and the rest of unused space is wasted. The other thing is SSD Caching is faster than a HDD during read, but in write, the speed is limited by your HDD. If you're go to grab a SSD, get the 256GB, use it as the main drive and your 1TB as storage. Still want to go your way, then grab a hybrid HDD, where the SSD is built in, so you don't have to deal with specific hardware requirements to run SSD Caching.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

If i'm understanding what you're trying to do, you want to get a SSD, not for the main drive, but used as speed for your 1TB HDD? In that case, I won't even bother on grabbing a SSD. SSD caching only works on specific Intel chipsets and the maximum size limit is around 64GB. Anything higher and the rest of unused space is wasted. The other thing is SSD Caching is faster than a HDD during read, but in write, the speed is limited by your HDD. If you're go to grab a SSD, get the 256GB, use it as the main drive and your 1TB as storage. Still want to go your way, then grab a hybrid HDD, where the SSD is built in, so you don't have to deal with specific hardware requirements to run SSD Caching.

Hmm not really, what i meant was that I'm going to only install programs and games that I play a lot on the SSD for faster read and write speed, but the rest of the programs which i dont use very often, will be stored on the 1TB

why do u guys think that? :P Please explain so i understand peoples opinions, thank you!

RAID 0 with 2 drives has twice the chance of failing and losing all your data, so you would have to take regular backups of the RAID, it really shouldn't be used for permanent storage.

RAID 0 with 2 drives has twice the chance of failing and losing all your data, so you would have to take regular backups of the RAID, it really shouldn't be used for permanent storage.

But one drive is ok? Same thing man, one drive dies you're dead in the water, at least with a RAID 0 of 2 drives you could re-install on the good drive and get up and running, with the one drive you'll end up sitting in a corner.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Statistically the percentage chance of having a drive fail is higher, when you have more drives. But honestly, that's not at all what keeps me away from using RAID0 (or any RAID*) any more in my rig - since I never really understood that part of maths well enough, and for me this always felt kind of... artificial... not real-world like (at least with 2 drives. While with... let's say 20 drives in a RAID0... yes, I do understand why that would be a bad idea :D ).

Don't know why exactly, but it's simply not a factor for me not using RAID0 anymore, since both a single drive or a RAID0 should be backup'ed regularly.

For me, SSDs are actually more about the access times than actual file transfer rates (~500MB/s is enough for me, I don't usually transfer huge enough amounts of data to make good use of 1TB/s or such linear read and write speeds. So a single good SSD is good enough for me. And it's just... well simpler. I remember too often in the past I had to worry about drivers, or raid mode in BIOS, RAID not supporting trim at first, etc. ... so, for me personally, I just don't think it's worth it any more for the little actual performance I'd really gain.

*) NAS and storage are a different story, of course. There, RAID1, 5, 6,10 etc. are pretty much mandatory for me.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

840 Evo has a lot of problems, avoid it. Mx100 is pretty good and it's cheap. Get it

It doesn't.

And what kind of problems does the 840 Evo have? I bought the 250 GB one two weeks ago and couldn't find any problems so far.

The drive slows down or reduces in performance. There is a firmware update for the drive.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Sure there is, and Samsung Magician automatically updates it. I have installed it after I built it in my system. That is why it doesn't slow down :lol:

Does it by now? Samsung Magician did not update the fix for that bug automatically when it came out, you had to install it manually.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

I'd go with a single larger drive than two smaller ones.

I've done Raid 0 with my 2x 256GB 840Pro's and while nice to look at bench's, hardly anything gets sped up.

(Bar file searching, scanning/repairing/updating/benchmarking)

Games/WIndows/whatever - hardly gets an improvement (at least in MY USE CASE over time)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yup, but you have to click one button, it's not that hard.

No, certainly not hard  :)  - even the manual installation seemed to be pretty straight forward from what I saw around the net - except maybe for total computer beginners.