AnandTech | A Closer Look at Android RunTime (ART) in Android L

BallGum

Is dalvik now completely dropped?

Might be time to get an Android phone again :)

I had completely forgotten about that. I don't think it will be necessary though. As far as I can tell, apps don't care if they run on ART or Dalvik.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I think Dalvik lives on somehow, but yes. By default ART will be used in Android 5.0.

Android Lollipop is bringing so many awesome things to the table. This, project Volta (haven't looked into how it works though), the new camera API, encryption by default (although people upgrading their OS will have to do it manually like before), multiple accounts, better audio support, color space correction...

Now we just need some good devices to put the OS on *cough* fuck you Google for ruining your big tablet, and not updating the ~5" phone *cough*.

ART runs by default on Lollipop, but not sure if apps that aren't ART-compatible will run using Dalvik instead

"Rawr XD"

ART runs by default on Lollipop, but not sure if apps that aren't ART-compatible will run using Dalvik instead

I'm pretty sure you can only use one runtime at a time.

As far as I can tell ART kinda installs things like windows does and Dalvik kinda treated apps like .zip's that that had to be extracted all the time

That could be a horrible metaphor....probly is.

Dream-phone: USB type-c (3.1), 1440p, 5-inch, removable battery, 32gb RAMdrive, sd card slot, stock Android, transparent atomic purple build, 9050 mah battery, waterproof AF, nuclear powered, ac wifi is fine.
                           OR a one-of-a-kind iphone that runs Android.