Is it worth it to buy this car?

So I'm buying my first car from my long-time girlfriend's dad, and it definitely needs some work. I want to know if it's worth it with the repairs, or I should just get something else 6 months in the future around the same price.

Car: 2001 Audi A6 2.8, ~150K miles

Problems:

• Entire front plastic fascia needs replaced
  • Rubber inserts for optional headlight wipers needed
  • Speakers work but are very distorted and static-y at all volumes
  • Minor dents all over sides and corners of car
  • Back left window needs motor replaced
  • Back seat cup holders need replaced
  • Back seat emergency kit flap needs replaced
  • One of the engine mount bolts needs replaced (car jumps when accelerating suddenly)
  • Entire windshield wiper system needs replaced
  • Paints needs touched up all over car
  • Battery needs replaced
  • Headliner needs put back into place in various places

He is offering me the car in it's current condition for $1700, and he said there may be more wrong with the car that he doesn't know about, but this is what Firestone reported about 90 days ago. All together it's looking to be $4000-$4500 in repairs to get it all fixed up, but I don't know if it's worth it.

I am no car expert, so I figured I'd throw this out there as I'm sure someone knows a good bit about them.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

I have a laptop that sucks because I'm broke.

Don't go for it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nope. As someone who races and works on cars, I can tell you the parts alone to fixx that car will cost more than it is worth at the end. That is a $5000 on a GOOD day, not to mention it is a 150k mile 2.8. It is already on close to borrowed time.

i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz | Zalman cnps9900-MAX | MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING | 16gb G.Skill | 1600mhz | 2x EVGA GTX660 TI SC in SLI | Antec HCG 750 | Corsair 300R | Win 8.1pro

I am also a moderator on TomsHardware.com. Here is a link to my profile: http://www.tomshardware.com/community/profile-917890.htm

I would never buy a used car with over 100k km

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I personally wouldn't buy it. You could buy a 2007 - 2010 car for about $5,000 - $7,000 that would be in far better condition than that. Probably less KM/Miles too. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I would never buy a used car with over 100k km

Exactly! Not wise at all.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

From a realistic point of view I would offer him $1300 for it. A lot of that DOES NOT NEED TO BE FIXED. What NEEDS to be fixed is car batter ($50), Engine mount ($30) because you will probably need to also replace the anti vibration mount along with a new bolt. And the wiper system ($50) which you can get from a wrecked car of the same model and close year from a junkyard.

Is it going to be a beautiful show car that is like new, fuck no. But it is your first car, you will probably end up breaking shit anyways. Sounds to me like it is a great little car that has a lot of life left in it and will do great on gas.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Sounds like a terrible investment and waste of time, not to be a buzzkill or anything.

This

Nope. As someone who races and works on cars, I can tell you the parts alone to fixx that car will cost more than it is worth at the end. That is a $5000 on a GOOD day, not to mention it is a 150k mile 2.8. It is already on close to borrowed time.

And this.

And the fact that it's your girlfriends dad's car.

I would certainly not buy this for any price. It is just not worth it. If it was a toyota/honda/nissan, maybe, but a 2.8 AUDI? NO WAY.

i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz | Zalman cnps9900-MAX | MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING | 16gb G.Skill | 1600mhz | 2x EVGA GTX660 TI SC in SLI | Antec HCG 750 | Corsair 300R | Win 8.1pro

I am also a moderator on TomsHardware.com. Here is a link to my profile: http://www.tomshardware.com/community/profile-917890.htm

This

And this.

And the fact that it's your girlfriends dad's car.

I see it's not a great deal now, but it doesn't matter that it's my girlfriend's dad's car. I've been with my girlfriend for a very long time, and have a great relationship with her parents.

NEither of those. KIA was making crap when that car released, and that VW will cost  a TON of money to run and repair. I have owned multiple VW's. Theyare neither cheap to mantain or reliable.

Look for an accord, camry, civic, corolla, sentra. Stay away from euros.

NEither of those. KIA was making crap when that car released, and that VW will cost  a TON of money to run and repair. I have owned multiple VW's. Theyare neither cheap to mantain or reliable.

Look for an accord, camry, civic, corolla, sentra. Stay away from euros.

Alright, thanks for your help. I'll be on the lookout.

No problem. Being only 22 but having owned 7 cars since I was 16, I have leanred quite a bit. Plus racing and wrenching experience as well.