best amd apu gaming motherboard?

I'm currently looking at building a seperate gaming rig for myself using using the bitfenix Pandora when it is released. I'm stuck trying to decide the best mobo to use with an apu. My original idea was for an Asus A88XM-PLUS, or should I stick with fx series cpu's

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, GET A BIGGER HAMMER

I'm currently looking at building a seperate gaming rig for myself using using the bitfenix Pandora when it is released. I'm stuck trying to decide the best mobo to use with an apu. My original idea was for an Asus A88XM-PLUS, or should I stick with fx series cpu's

What's your budget?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

I don't have a budget really it's only the board and cpu/apu I'm needing, it would be nice to have a board with room for upgrades later on

I don't have a budget really it's only the board and cpu/apu I'm needing, it would be nice to have a board with room for upgrades later on

this destroys EVERYTHING AMD has to offer in regards to gaming (including the FX-9590 mind you..)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI H97 Guard-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $234.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-09 21:26 EST-0500

You don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler or expensive motherboard for overclocking or any of that shit so this will end up costing you less and you'll save on power bills,

this performs flawlessly out of the box under the stock intel heatsink.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I don't know why everyone keeps recommending Intel when the OP specially asked about AMD.... 

For APU get the MSI Gaming 3 series

So do you already have a GPU to use, or are you planning on upgrading to it once you decide you want one? Are you saying that you're getting the APU as a temporary replacement for a discreet GPU? The APUs are definitely cool, but you can get significant performance gains by getting an FX-series CPU and discreet GPU. Honestly, if you're going for a small form factor like that, I think the biggest problems you'll have will be thermal, in which case I'd suggest opting for an Intel based system if you're upgrading to a discreet GPU later. Though, that's my opinion, and people use AMD all day long with no more issues than Intel -- I'm focusing more on the thermodynamics of the system than brand.

If this is more of a "set it and forget it" kind of thing, you could go with just the AMD APU. The only thing really keeping me from moving forward from the APU to a motherboard is that it's a dead end. The CPUs in these APUs aren't great, it's the graphics that really shine. That, in my opinion, is why AMD APUs are so appealing, they're an AIO solution for the average consumer.

What are you expecting out of this rig? Will it be games for the most part with a bit of standard browsing? At what resolution are you going to game? If you're going to game at 720p only, I can see going for an A-series, in which case you wouldn't be upgrading to a discreet GPU, and you wouldn't need an expensive gaming motherboard.

However, if you plan on upgrading to a discreet GPU when funds allow, you should consider going with an FX-series processor with the biggest cooling solution you can fit in that case. Throwing money at an A-series based system is a bad idea unless you're looking for AIO. If you're upgrading, you'll just be wasting more money on a stuck platform.

With the huge variety of FX-series CPUs, you could buy a cheap one when you build this, get a decent motherboard and a relatively cheap GPU, then when AMD releases newer chips, you can upgrade your quad-core FX to a six-core for very little money, and substantial performance gains.

You've got options.

I'm going to be running 2 compact r9 285s and I already have a few aio water cooling kits awaiting a rig so cooling shouldn't be an issue, I basically just need a board and cpu/apu that will allow me to get the best out of my gpus

Money would be better spent on the i3 or i5, regardless of what the fanboys will tell you, it's utter BS to believe the FX can outshine these CPU's in gaming, as it quite literally get's REKT in 95% of PC titles.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I prefer AMD because they don't charge exploitive prices for minimal performance increases

I prefer AMD because they don't charge exploitive prices for minimal performance increases

image quality maxed out with 2 EVGA GTX 480 SSC's on air and a i5 2500k.

VF4MVCN.jpg

Even with a 7990 the FX cannot keep up with the 2500k and a lowly pair of GTX 480's in single thread games, but then again, most of us with sense know the FX is terrible at multi GPU.

5INXrhq.jpg

7990 Devil 13 (2x 7970's, roughly a 7970 is 1.9x faster than a stock GTX 480) and AMD FX 8 core.

cqJEdgu.jpg

The i5 simply decimates the FX with multi GPU setups, the FX is clearly bottlenecking the 7990 by a huge margin.

maxresdefault.jpg

5QJGvA1.jpg

EVEN THE i3 SCORES HIGHER.
i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Right cheers for the Intel propaganda but seriously I am not interested in running an Intel rig, please can I just get back to trying to find my amd chip and board

That is fine, settle for less, happy to help.

well ts can go whichever brand he wants.

he wants amd we should help him with amd.

gonna edit my post soon for my part of the help :).

pretty much the only motherboard I have first hand experience with. pretty good though. for that socket at least.

edit: @Liston156

Motherboard: MSI A88XM GAMING Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $184.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-10 07:44 EST-0500

Live your life like a dream.

I'm going to be running 2 compact r9 285s and I already have a few aio water cooling kits awaiting a rig so cooling shouldn't be an issue, I basically just need a board and cpu/apu that will allow me to get the best out of my gpus

If you're building a dual GPU gaming rig, there's no reason to go with an APU. Let's just toss that out right away. The best A-series will bottleneck in serious gaming.

I honestly suggest getting an i5. Sure, they're more expensive, and Intel has high profit margin, but they really are just better, factually. Objectively. Statistically.

Facts.

Edit:

Buuuuuut, if you're stuck on AMD, just get a 6350 and call it good. As far as a motherboard, the Gigabyte 990FX UD3 should be fine.

Right cheers for the Intel propaganda but seriously I am not interested in running an Intel rig, please can I just get back to trying to find my amd chip and board

I would go for anything made by ASUS or MSI as I've had both and been happy with them.

As for FX I don't know what you already have but my MSI 970 + my FX 8350 work well together but I wish the software was a bit better so depending on if you have a good GPU and compatible motherboard I would go with that.

I would go for anything made by ASUS or MSI as I've had both and been happy with them.

As for FX I don't know what you already have but my MSI 970 + my FX 8350 work well together but I wish the software was a bit better so depending on if you have a good GPU and compatible motherboard I would go with that.

He's planning on running two R9 285s in crossfire. There are only a few AMD MicroATX boards that support that, and I think they're all FM2 which means OP will be forced to buy an even cheaper CPU.

You should really just look into Intel. There are so many more options with an Intel build, and they're easier to cool so what's the deal?

He's planning on running two R9 285s in crossfire. There are only a few AMD MicroATX boards that support that, and I think they're all FM2 which means OP will be forced to buy an even cheaper CPU.

You should really just look into Intel. There are so many more options with an Intel build, and they're easier to cool so what's the deal?

MSI 970 GAMING is capable along with (IIRC) most 990FX high end boards

My bad

It's all good.

OP, if you're really not going to consider a $150 Intel option with room to upgrade to an i5 or i7 if you want, then go with the best FM2 discreet CPU you can get and use the motherboard you've picked out, and make sure you get it cold. Still, it will be a dead platform and you'll have to scrap it sooner than you would an Intel based system.

You're the only one concerned with brand here, we're trying to show you better options.

You're the only one concerned with brand here, we're trying to show you better options.

While I agree with Intel does better, there's plenty of personal reasons why not to go Intel.

My own experience with Intel has been no end of DOA mobos and CPUs but that's probably down to me always being unlucky with product I buy.

If he doesn't want Intel I wouldn't push it.

While I agree with Intel does better, there's plenty of personal reasons why not to go Intel.

My own experience with Intel has been no end of DOA mobos and CPUs but that's probably down to me always being unlucky with product I buy.

Your own personal bad products are for yourself only and are not something to bring up.

Intel do not make the motherboards either, i had a P67-GD53 (Sandy Bridge ) and the ram slot's went bad, so ended up going with the EVGA Z68 SLi which solved the problem.

I have had 3 bad ASUS boards with AMD on AM3, i still have my AMD build though and it does fine with a 7770, but that is it's performance level, it will never be able to feed powerful GPU's.

All in all, you get what you pay for at the moment, the AMD prices reflect their performance in most cases, the only thing the 8 core does ok at is rendering/video work, otherwise you should not be contemplating buying AMD right now, the Pentium K Anniversary offers a doorway into Z97 without the heavy cost whilst still being able to feed very powerful single GPU's in the latest titles.

I just hope AMD come rolling with a beast of a CPU in 2016, i really do, i used to be a real AMD fanboy back when the PH II 955 was around mate, but my pocket could not stomach the 8150 after SB i5's were released at a lower price absolutely cake walking over AMD.

Pentium K.

Yeah, electronics are just that way. I've had SSDs die after owning them for a week, I've had things DOA, that's just the hobby we chose.

For the record, I have an A10-6800K build(well, had) that I ended up giving to a friend because there was nowhere else for me to go with it. I don't have a thing for Intel, I've just been in OP's situation where I see that the AMD APUs are cool and I want to use them in some way, but they just aren't viable for any kind of console killing.

Your own personal bad products are for yourself only and are not something to bring up.
As I was quoting a post it was a reply and that's why I said PERSONAL, followed by an example of my own PERSONAL reason why I don't go for Intel which isn't obvious unless you ask why.He obviously doesn't want Intel, regardless of performance gains and that's OK.
Yeah, electronics are just that way. I've had SSDs die after owning them for a week, I've had things DOA, that's just the hobby we chose. For the record, I have an A10-6800K build(well, had) that I ended up giving to a friend because there was nowhere else for me to go with it. I don't have a thing for Intel, I've just been in OP's situation where I see that the AMD APUs are cool and I want to use them in some way, but they just aren't viable for any kind of console killing.
I get that but some people don't want to follow trend even if it isn't the best path sometimes you have to let them walk it and find out for themselves, just try to subtly educate them.