Are we ready for 4K?

Luc401

I was at my local future shop today and came across the sony 4k tv 65" for 8 grand...there was the new transformers playing on it .first my dad mentioned "the colour looks HORRIBLE" then we noticed that it looked so fake!!!!!! Its like watch the first ever star wars episode again!!!! Are we really ready for 4K ? I think since we can see all the little things now we will be able to see more errors

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

In my honest opinion no, if mid range graphic card can hit 60fps on 4k res - then yes.

This create the market for all, low end cards will be taking a small hit, mid range could hit 60, high end would be able to maintain higher fps on 4k.

because why even market when those with entry level card can barely maintain 4k?

I just think we need to up the ante on the graphic cards first to be in a spot where we can safely say, "yes we are ready for 4k res."

*edit*

but this is of course for me a guy who barely uses TV anymore, just plenty monitors :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

In my honest opinion no, if mid range graphic card can hit 60fps on 4k res - then yes.

This create the market for all, low end cards will be taking a small hit, mid range could hit 60, high end would be able to maintain higher fps on 4k.

because why even market when those with entry level card can barely maintain 4k?

I just think we need to up the ante on the graphic cards first to be in a spot where we can safely say, "yes we are ready for 4k res."

*edit*

but this is of course for me a guy who barely uses TV anymore, just plenty monitors :)

the market isnt totally gamers. there is a bigger market for people who will love the clarity of watching a movie on a 4k tv....when there are ones ofc...(i think 4k will debut just like lcd....very expensive and then uk....haha)

They were wrong do show a low quality demo .. there are demos made for 4k show off like the one linus showed in his computex coverage are we ready ? yes / all new games will be just outstanding on a 4k screen don't worry :D

entirely to expensive, not enough content, confused as to how these things will even work, I can't imagine TV's or boxes upscaling things into these resolutions and getting good quality experience outta it.

HDTV's already are like 400$, looks good, hd programming is quite cheap.  

I think maybe in 5 years it'll be good, but not now IMO.

EDIT: Also, until the content for these is actually filmed/recorded in 4k, I don't think the quality will be as good as it could be.

I read some things about people upscaling blu-rays and crap, I'm not sure if it actually gets the same quality as it actually being recorded in 4k or however the process works.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The thing about "looking fake" probably has to do with this intermediate frames thing that today's TV's like to do to make things look smoother.

Anyway, to answer the question, I'd say we're about as ready for 4K as we are for NFC or cloud gaming or electric cars.  The technology is still in its infancy, standards need to be developed, and more accessible hardware needs to make its way to the market in order to drive widespread adoption in order for more accessible hardware to hit the market in order to drive widespread adoption...  It's a vicious cycle that's hard to break out of for any new technology.

It's like what SSDs were five years ago.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

So any educated guesses as to when 4K displays would be as mainstream as 1080p today?

I'm guessing 4-5 years.  Like SSDs.

the market isnt totally gamers. there is a bigger market for people who will love the clarity of watching a movie on a 4k tv....when there are ones ofc...(i think 4k will debut just like lcd....very expensive and then uk....haha)

of course, but being a PC-centric site that's the first thing i think about :p

However, those 4Ks - i've seen the one samsung had; they look awesome from far away, living room condition looks nice, if you have your sofa close to the TV it looks ok - but I can definitely see pixels :[

definitely for pc...but I don't think television will be able to keep up. Bandwidth to maintain 1080p video is barely available in the majority of homes so how are we going to jump 4x 1080p.

Maybe when Google Fiber starts spreading then other ISP/Cable Providers will start uncapping bandwidth and tech will move forward.

of course, but being a PC-centric site that's the first thing i think about :P

However, those 4Ks - i've seen the one samsung had; they look awesome from far away, living room condition looks nice, if you have your sofa close to the TV it looks ok - but I can definitely see pixels :[

well yea but if you look at a comparible 1080p tv itll be 4 times worse heh

well yea but if you look at a comparible 1080p tv itll be 4 times worse heh

that's the odd thing! i'm not sure, but I even got my friend to check on it too, however I can see pixels almost seems like fake pictures as the OP said.

In my opinion, the 1080p looks better and I don't notice the pixel as much, ONLY because that fake pic/pixel or whatever.

It actually bugs me because there's a screen right next to the display 4k, which was 3  2560x1440 and 2  1080p, I don't see the weird almost fake pixels that i see on 4k on the other monitors - just on the 4k O.o

cant they just repackage the cinema versions of movies  in some friendly format and distribute it, i mean aren't those up to 8k and guaranteed to be 4k at least  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

no content yet for 4k so no we are not ready for 4K.

However for pc monitors i guess 4K is fine, tv's however defiantly not

Ah, what are you talking about? We've had 4k video cameras for a few years (Red Epic).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Well the gaming world still isn't ready for 4K to be anything more than an enthusiast niche segment; not by a long shot. Our current high end cards cannot even produce 60 fps when maxed out on Crysis 3 at 1080p, let alone 4K LOL.

Yes you can give me 4k$ anytime. Actually feel free to.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Yet no movies out yet in 4K

Not to the consumer market (since we don't have anything that can play them). But you can probably get 4k content, heck, IMAX uses something around 4k to 8k content (I couldn't find multiple sources to agree).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I haven't even enjoyed 1080p enough yet and thus I am not looking to buy new displays for a long, long time.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well PS4 (CALM DOWN ill get to my point soon) can run 4k so that means sony will push 4k like crazy more then blu ray because they need to do well or they will die(of explosive diarrhea).

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well for 4k, so far 99% of all true 4k content is owned by Sony, and what we know so far the first true 4k media player is Sony only for movie / TV content. 

However for the next year the biggest supplier for true content for 4k will easily be video games. Widescreen gaming even before gaming has been growing slowly anyway. 

For instance right now you would easily be able to enjoy things like WoW, Battlefield 3, Any codemaster's product and a few others. 4k is something I am truely looking forward to, and I just laugh at the people who are trying to keep the same form factor they are currently in for a 4k resolution(IE their shitty Macbook, 21-23' monitors, what I want from 4k is a 37-42' monitor. At that point I will immediately drop my surround setup. I want to welcome 4k as a desktop extension, not as zooming out from the same window. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

I, am not ready for 4k. I still watch all my videos off the internet in 360p.

Nope. Most GPUs struggle to even play at 1080p so only the top tier 1000$+ GPUs which are a minority of the sales will be able to play at that resolution. In addition to that, not all games support that high resolutions.

PC in Profile

4K won't be fully utilised in at least the next 10 years

Interested in Business and Technology

I think we will be ready for 4K when movies/games are made to be played in 4K.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

inb4 Crysis 3 update to utilise 4k res and kill every1s computers

neutral-poker-face-no-text-l.png

Character artist in the Games industry.