Apartment Tech

Hi Guys,

So I'm going to be moving to a new apartment in Toronto next year and I wanted to know what kinds of cool gadgets and tech I can put into it that will make life in general easier.

The apartment I will be getting will be a 2 -3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms and I will be converting one of the bedrooms into a home gym.

So if you guys got any ideas or advice to share, I will be very grateful.

Thanks.

Get one of those robot vacuum cleaners, so useful http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robot-Vacuum-Cleaner-Advanced-Cleaning/dp/B003UZCEWY

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

Hi Guys,

So I'm going to be moving to a new apartment in Toronto next year and I wanted to know what kinds of cool gadgets and tech I can put into it that will make life in general easier.

The apartment I will be getting will be a 2 -3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms and I will be converting one of the bedrooms into a home gym.

Thanks.

A good microwave/mini fridge, and good lightbulbs

EDIT: Oh and these. These replace the actual outlet in your wall, so I don't know if you guys have different outlets up north, but we have some of these, and while they aren't the best for charging tablets with only 1 amp available, they are fantasticly handy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/U-Socket-15-Amp-Standard-Duplex-Wall-Outlet-with-2-Built-in-USB-Charging-Ports-White-ace-8158/203749901?N=5yc1vZc34hZajk

Get one of those robot vacuum cleaners, so useful http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robot-Vacuum-Cleaner-Advanced-Cleaning/dp/B003UZCEWY

A woman.

Sexism jokes aside, get some of those automatic toilet cleaning sticks.

No one wants to clean toilet  ^_^

Unless you have a wo..... nvm LOL jk

How's the Internet connectivity there? If you can, get your own wireless router if you don't have one already. You might have to lease one from Rogers/Bell(whoever is available to service your apartment complex), but I'm not too sure about that one.

Other than that, get a box fan or a ceramic heater just in case your AC/heater breaks and it's in the middle of Summer/Winter and your apartment is taking too long to fix it(I like to be prepared haha).

Oh, maybe a coffee maker if you don't have one already? You can make cup of noodles this way too.

Hi Guys,

Thanks.

You mean you are moving into a condo that costs $250,000 to $500,000 or more?

As for having ideas about cool gadgets and tech in the home to make life easier eh sometimes simplicity is easier and gadgets and tech get in the way.  Think about that for awhile and let it sink in.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

EDIT: Oh and these. These replace the actual outlet in your wall, so I don't know if you guys have different outlets up north, but we have some of these, and while they aren't the best for charging tablets with only 1 amp available, they are fantasticly handy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/U-Socket-15-Amp-Standard-Duplex-Wall-Outlet-with-2-Built-in-USB-Charging-Ports-White-ace-8158/203749901?N=5yc1vZc34hZajk

I've never understood why people buy those sockets. You still have to go and get the cable, which is as much work as getting a charger. Or do you always leave a cable plugged in?

OP should buy a portable battery block that charges usb and micro-usb port. Useful during blackouts and on-the-go!

How's the Internet connectivity there? If you can, get your own wireless router if you don't have one already. You might have to lease one from Rogers/Bell(whoever is available to service your apartment complex), but I'm not too sure about that one.

Other than that, get a box fan or a ceramic heater just in case your AC/heater breaks and it's in the middle of Summer/Winter and your apartment is taking too long to fix it(I like to be prepared haha).

Oh, maybe a coffee maker if you don't have one already? You can make cup of noodles this way too.

Doesn't everyone already have a wireless router  :mellow:

Doesn't everyone already have a wireless router  :mellow:

He might not have his own. I don't know if he is moving out of his parent's place or moving from one apartment to another, probably the latter because of the wording of his post. If it's his parent's place then obviously you're not going to take their wireless router and if you're moving from another apartment then it is entirely dependent if the old apartment was forcing a lease on him for a router from the ISP. If it's the same ISP in his new apartment he might be able to take the leased router to his new location, but that is entirely dependent on the contract between the apartment complex and the ISP.

Or the apartment complex has one single plan from a ISP and it's a closed WiFi network that only residents of the apartment complex can connect and use, so he might not even have a wireless router at all.

At least that's how some apartments are setup here in the U.S.. 

Wow I like those sockets, they're awesome. At the moment I have only one working Usb-Outlet Converter that works and like 3 devices that need to be recharged, so I got to do them one at a time lol. Pain in the a$$.

As for a Mini-Fridge I was wondering if anyone know of a good affordable couch set with a mini-fridge inside and also has a recliner. Would pay big money for that $_$

I saw that on a post already. I was actually thinking about the roomba vacuum so I yuh know I won't have to clean stuff EVER O.o Lol.

What do you think?

A woman.

Sexism jokes aside, get some of those automatic toilet cleaning sticks.

No one wants to clean toilet  ^_^

Unless you have a wo..... nvm LOL jk

Lol, funny thing is as I was reading the part "get some of those automatic toilet cleaning sticks" I was thinking of wo.....working it myself...Yeah that's it working myself to get it clean *whistles innocently*  -_-  *poker face*

Yeah I plan to get a 60Mb Down 15Mb Up when I'm over there. But I always thought that the wireless router came with the package...I had no idea they charged you a rent on it....I'll definitely get myself a decent router in that case, but seeing as how most apartments are made of gypsum instead of concrete like my house , I'm sure a cheap router with high bandwith and the new 2.4G and 5G networks will suffice.

What do you think?

You mean you are moving into a condo that costs $250,000 to $500,000 or more?

As for having ideas about cool gadgets and tech in the home to make life easier eh sometimes simplicity is easier and gadgets and tech get in the way.  Think about that for awhile and let it sink in.

Lol! As if you could get a 2- 3 bedroom condo that costs that cheap. at about $500,000 you can maybe get decent 1 bedroom lol.....*Slowly cries on the inside*

But I don't plan to cross the line where gadgets go from being useful to being a pain in the a$$ (Siri I'm looking at you  :angry: ) however I do want to have a nice cool apartment to entertain guests and well to make life easier lol.

Might Help?

PnojYlI.jpg

Holy Flaming Jets of Jizz Batman!!!

I've never understood why people buy those sockets. You still have to go and get the cable, which is as much work as getting a charger. Or do you always leave a cable plugged in?

Well :

1.) They're awesome

2.) Convenient as I can keep all my devices at one outlet instead of having everything scattered around and then inevitably forgetting something when I leave the house :P

3.) Saves outlet space

OP should buy a portable battery block that charges usb and micro-usb port. Useful during blackouts and on-the-go!

Picked up a couple Usb ones when I was in Thailand for like $3.00 USD ea. About half of the battery life can fully recharge my small Zune so not a bad deal. But if anyone has any other cheap alternatives I'm all ears :D

He might not have his own. I don't know if he is moving out of his parent's place or moving from one apartment to another, probably the latter because of the wording of his post. If it's his parent's place then obviously you're not going to take their wireless router and if you're moving from another apartment then it is entirely dependent if the old apartment was forcing a lease on him for a router from the ISP. If it's the same ISP in his new apartment he might be able to take the leased router to his new location, but that is entirely dependent on the contract between the apartment complex and the ISP.

Or the apartment complex has one single plan from a ISP and it's a closed WiFi network that only residents of the apartment complex can connect and use, so he might not even have a wireless router at all.

At least that's how some apartments are setup here in the U.S.. 

Actually I am moving out of my parents house in the Caribbean and going to Canada to finish my degree. I had dropped out of college in 2010/2011 due to unforeseen circumstances....I traveled the All through Western China, Thailand and Vietnam for the last 2 years (Back and forth between the Caribbean and there) doing work of course. Now I'm going back to college and I've got some money to spend! Yay!!! No more living like a porper anymore ^_^..... Seriously, last time I was in college I had 3 pieces of furniture....A fouton to sleep on/sit on, a desk to eat and study on and a chair.... :(

use raspberry pi's to control stuff 

Well right now I am using a Samsung S3. It still works, and I normally don't upgrade phones unless I absolutely have too. That being said, the S3 is perhaps the worst phone I have ever had.... I believe my Nokia 1100 was much better at being a phone that this piece of shyte. -_-

Yeah I plan to get a 60Mb Down 15Mb Up when I'm over there. But I always thought that the wireless router came with the package...I had no idea they charged you a rent on it....I'll definitely get myself a decent router in that case, but seeing as how most apartments are made of gypsum instead of concrete like my house , I'm sure a cheap router with high bandwith and the new 2.4G and 5G networks will suffice.

What do you think?

Well ask your landlord how they handle it router wise. I'm not sure about Canada, but here in the U.S. if I got DSL from AT&T I can/could have my own modem, but now that I have U-Verse we are required to have a modem from them and not our own.

Technically the router would come with the package, but it's more than likely already calculated in. Just ask when you can to see if you can have your own, otherwise you'll probably be forced to use one of theirs.

My house is made of gypsum, we used to run a Netgear N-300 in a central point of our house and it worked really well, but we ended up switching to some Cisco 1140's. If you can get your own, I do recommend Netgear, but there's other options like TP-Link and Linksys.

Actually I am moving out of my parents house in the Caribbean and going to Canada to finish my degree. I had dropped out of college in 2010/2011 due to unforeseen circumstances....I traveled the All through Western China, Thailand and Vietnam for the last 2 years (Back and forth between the Caribbean and there) doing work of course. Now I'm going back to college and I've got some money to spend! Yay!!! No more living like a porper anymore ^_^..... Seriously, last time I was in college I had 3 pieces of furniture....A fouton to sleep on/sit on, a desk to eat and study on and a chair.... :(

Well it's great to hear you made use of your time wisely! Not to pry, but were you originally going to college in Canada? If not, why Canadian college, certain degree/path you want to take? I mean, I understand if you didn't want to come to the U.S. for college  :lol:

Well ask your landlord how they handle it router wise. I'm not sure about Canada, but here in the U.S. if I got DSL from AT&T I can/could have my own modem, but now that I have U-Verse we are required to have a modem from them and not our own.

Technically the router would come with the package, but it's more than likely already calculated in. Just ask when you can to see if you can have your own, otherwise you'll probably be forced to use one of theirs.

My house is made of gypsum, we used to run a Netgear N-300 in a central point of our house and it worked really well, but we ended up switching to some Cisco 1140's. If you can get your own, I do recommend Netgear, but there's other options like TP-Link and Linksys.

Well it's great to hear you made use of your time wisely! Not to pry, but were you originally going to college in Canada? If not, why Canadian college, certain degree/path you want to take? I mean, I understand if you didn't want to come to the U.S. for college  :lol:

Well to be honest as long as the router from either Rogers/Bell can cover the area of my apt. with 2.4G and 5G with sufficient bandwidth speeds then I'll be happy. I know the modem is absolutely necessary but they do also have modems that do not have wireless functionality so most likely if they cannot provide the new network 2.4G or 5G then I'll request the non-wifi modem + it should be cheaper anyways :P

In the house I'm currently living in, I got the Linksys AC1900 but even still, because my house is made of solid concrete, the signal only reaches about half of the house. I was actually looking into industrial grade routers at one point to purchase as I do not know what else to do.

And yes I did originally go to a Canadian College at first and now I do plan to return except I'll be going to Toronto instead of London. Also I don't quite like American Colleges....It's a little too much like American High School except without parents and with people that are registered to drive and in some cases buy alcohol....and unfortunately in worst cases do both at the same time >_> 

Don't get me wrong Canadian College is similar but I love Canadians cause they're so polite and well mannered....Well most of the time anyways :P...and also when they're not drunk lol.

Also because Canada is pretty much full of Immigrants it's much easier to fit in, meaning that because there are so many types of people from different places, the cultural boundaries are very much so less restrictive than Americans' cultural boundaries.

All of these are just based on my personal experience visiting schools and colleges in both the U.S and Canada.

1. gas stove top (best for cooking, induction is an acceptable alternative)

2. FUCKING LOUD ass home stereo setup for when the neighbors decide to play shitty music.

3. Man cave with blue accent lighting for those all day game-a-thons (blue light is easier on your eyes when in front of a screen all day)

4. Replace shower head with one that doesnt suck (they all seem to these days)

5. Comfortable ass sofa.

6. Mega huge TV of some kind.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1. gas stove top (best for cooking, induction is an acceptable alternative)

2. FUCKING LOUD ass home stereo setup for when the neighbors decide to play shitty music.

3. Man cave with blue accent lighting for those all day game-a-thons (blue light is easier on your eyes when in front of a screen all day)

4. Replace shower head with one that doesnt suck (they all seem to these days)

5. Comfortable ass sofa.

6. Mega huge TV of some kind.

1.) The apartment will provide the Stove and Fridge and Dishwasher so i have no control over that.

2.) I don't like to be a d1ck about things lol hence the reason why I bought noise cancellation headphones

3.):o Did not know that. Will definitely invest in some blue light bulbs. Any idea where I can get them in Toronto?

4.) Lol that's true, so any recommendations as to which one I should get?

5.) Already looking to buy a single,double and triple seater recliners :D

6.) Already going to get a 60" Samsung

I suggest an HTPC

Already got my pc almost ready to build.

You can check out my specs here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/243718-what-else-should-i-add-to-this-build/

And check out the grievances I've had to face when getting the parts here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/241976-so-close-yet-so-far/

I plan to have 2 Tv's in the Apt:

1.) Going to be my smart tv 60" Samsung with wifi so that I can stream games and movies to it

2.) Going to have a smaller maybe 23" - 33" Smart Tv in the Home Gym. 

I would love to get into an american college if it was possible for me..... The great American high-school atmosphere, frat parties, hot horny hoes,hackathons,lan parties ... Man it would be so freaking awesome

Well I guess some people like that kind of thing. I never really liked it much lol. I also never thought that having large groups of drunk people cramped into a small space and blasting loud music at them was a good idea either....But that's just me lol :P (Btw I was talking about clubbing.)

I always preferred to stick to me video-games, anime, books and tv-shows. The geek is strong with me O_O

Strangely enough only this last year I am now getting into computers and I'm absolutely loving it so far :P

Set up some NFC chips on various things, to make your life a little easier. If you Google around there is really no limit to what you can do with the buggers.

Might not be super high tech, but a decent quality vacuum is a really nice thing to own. (One of those little handheld Dustbuster types is nice too.)

A nice NAS to centralize your data storage?  (I finally built one and never looked back. Added Plex server too it and its amazing.)

A good quality switch, if you have alot of network load. Takes the strain off of those built in switches on the router/modem/switch things isps tend to push on you. A good 8-16 port gigabit switch with jumbo frame support and cat 6 will do wonders for your throughput.

A good microwave/mini fridge, and good lightbulbs.

This.  ^ Was going to recommend good lighting/bulbs too, but why...when you can get it straight from the horse's mouth.. (Sorry I couldn't help myself, I love bad puns. xD)

fuck the gym. make a dedicated fapping room.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Might Help?

what are you on. what isp is that???

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Set up some NFC chips on various things, to make your life a little easier. If you Google around there is really no limit to what you can do with the buggers.

Might not be super high tech, but a decent quality vacuum is a really nice thing to own. (One of those little handheld Dustbuster types is nice too.)

A nice NAS to centralize your data storage?  (I finally built one and never looked back. Added Plex server too it and its amazing.)

A good quality switch, if you have alot of network load. Takes the strain off of those built in switches on the router/modem/switch things isps tend to push on you. A good 8-16 port gigabit switch with jumbo frame support and cat 6 will do wonders for your throughput.

This.  ^ Was going to recommend good lighting/bulbs too, but why...when you can get it straight from the horse's mouth.. (Sorry I couldn't help myself, I love bad puns. xD)

Can you speculate on what I can do with the NFC chips, as the only thing I can think of doing with them is storing my grocery list on it.....

The NAS is a good idea, but my pc already has about 8TB of space with additional space to hold more HDDs' so I think I may be only using my pc to stream things to my other tvs' and Monitors around the apartment.

The switch isn't a bad idea....but I don't want cables all over the apartment which is why I think I may use steam's streaming service to stream my games and stream videos using a wireless HDMI. What do you think?

fuck the gym. make a dedicated fapping room.

o.0?

Why do you think I'm getting a 60" Smart TV along with a recliner couch. Lol jk  :P

Can you speculate on what I can do with the NFC chips, as the only thing I can think of doing with them is storing my grocery list on it.....

The NAS is a good idea, but my pc already has about 8TB of space with additional space to hold more HDDs' so I think I may be only using my pc to stream things to my other tvs' and Monitors around the apartment.

The switch isn't a bad idea....but I don't want cables all over the apartment which is why I think I may use steam's streaming service to stream my games and stream videos using a wireless HDMI. What do you think?

Sorry it took me so long to reply Ive been a little sick.

http://trendblog.net/creative-and-useful-ways-to-use-nfc-tags-with-your-smartphone/

Here is a good list for things to do with NFC and there are tons more on google.

Well with a nas you can do other things, without putting stress on your main box. Depends on if its just you utilizing your network and what you are doing I suppose. I've got stuff I probably couldn't find on the net anymore period so I don't run storage without Raid Z2. (essentially improved raid 6, ZFS with FreeNas is great.) Plus if you are running Plex, ftp, file sharing, rsync (automated backup), windows backup, (my phones also do automated to it), transmission, and btsync off it like I do, that's less that your main has to take care of. Especially if you were say streaming to your living room with steam streaming and a backup starting happening. Additionally the more hard drives you stack in your main gaming rig, the more heat you are introducing. There's also the need for a larger power supply if you add too many. Though its all about how you slice it, pros and cons everywhere. I ran that way for years, till I finally got my setups how I wanted.

Well wireless HDMI would work if your pc is close enough to the other screen for keyboard/mouse/controller that would be dandy and easy. Though all it does is mirror the screen, not the controls, so if its in another room it'll be an issue. And as far as streaming it over wireless (at least G, not much joy there) you'll need at least gigabit. Ive toyed with it on 100meg line..it does work, but it works a lot better over gigabit.

Also pro tip, you can take cat 6 (or 5e, whichever) and run it along the baseboards by the carpet (If you have carpeting, no joy on hardwood.) and depending on how the carpet was laid and the baseboard put on, easily nudge it underneath the trim so you cant even see it. I have done this many times on IT jobs at peoples houses and they were very satisfied with it. If you have a small piece of dowel rod or something similar it helps to push it gently between the baseboard and the carpet.

Sorry it took me so long to reply Ive been a little sick.

http://trendblog.net/creative-and-useful-ways-to-use-nfc-tags-with-your-smartphone/

Here is a good list for things to do with NFC and there are tons more on google.

Well with a nas you can do other things, without putting stress on your main box. Depends on if its just you utilizing your network and what you are doing I suppose. I've got stuff I probably couldn't find on the net anymore period so I don't run storage without Raid Z2. (essentially improved raid 6, ZFS with FreeNas is great.) Plus if you are running Plex, ftp, file sharing, rsync (automated backup), windows backup, (my phones also do automated to it), transmission, and btsync off it like I do, that's less that your main has to take care of. Especially if you were say streaming to your living room with steam streaming and a backup starting happening. Additionally the more hard drives you stack in your main gaming rig, the more heat you are introducing. There's also the need for a larger power supply if you add too many. Though its all about how you slice it, pros and cons everywhere. I ran that way for years, till I finally got my setups how I wanted.

Well wireless HDMI would work if your pc is close enough to the other screen for keyboard/mouse/controller that would be dandy and easy. Though all it does is mirror the screen, not the controls, so if its in another room it'll be an issue. And as far as streaming it over wireless (at least G, not much joy there) you'll need at least gigabit. Ive toyed with it on 100meg line..it does work, but it works a lot better over gigabit.

Also pro tip, you can take cat 6 (or 5e, whichever) and run it along the baseboards by the carpet (If you have carpeting, no joy on hardwood.) and depending on how the carpet was laid and the baseboard put on, easily nudge it underneath the trim so you cant even see it. I have done this many times on IT jobs at peoples houses and they were very satisfied with it. If you have a small piece of dowel rod or something similar it helps to push it gently between the baseboard and the carpet.

Wow thanks for the information.

Very sorry to hear that you are sick, just keep drinking OJ and you should be better soon.

Admittedly the NFC chips look very cool, however the fact that both you and others need to have a nfc reader app in order to interact with it is kind of a turn off as not everyone will have that app. I mean it is still kool that you can get technology to do simple tasks for you but at the end of the day they're still simple tasks which can only take a few more seconds to do manually.

However, you have convinced me that the Switch + Cat 6 Cable does seem to be a good idea as I will be using my pc to stream games at 1080p + movies/tv shows also at 1080p. Can you direct me to a powerful enough switch that can accomplish this task. 

By the way, as I am going to be using it to stream games, I am not sure it will make sense getting a NAS to do that.

Also what internet speed do you recommend I get because at the moment I'm planning to get a 60mb down and 15mb up.