Used SSD need help on how to transfer

Go to solution Solved by Lotus,

See that delete button? Every partition on Drive 0 needs to be deleted. All of them (assuming Drive 0 is your SSD, again make sure you get this right). THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE. Then you'll see something like:

Drive 0 (unallocated)

Select that and go from there.

Right so I just bought an used Samsung 840 series SSD 128Gb. Now i want to transfer the OS and a the programs I have onto and keep games on the Hard-drive. My question is how do I do this?

I've always heard linus talking about if you need help go on the forums, so I decided to give it try and see if you guys live up to the rep. Thanks in advance.

It's way easier (and better peformance) to install a fresh version of your OS on your new SSD. Also, unless all the data on your old HDD fit in the first 128GB of space on it, you can't just copy/image it over. If it does and you don't mind the excess crap that gets onto a windows install over the years, software like Acronis should do the trick very easily. Just burn a disc (if you have an optical drive) or turn the .iso into a bootable usb and boot to that, and it should be very straitforward. Just be careful not to do something like accidentally copy over the new one to the old one instead of the old one to the new one.

Also beware if you ended up purchasing an 840 Evo series SSDs, they have a firmware problem that rears its ugly head down the road. Any data that has been on the disk for a long time becomes very slow to access. There's a firmware update for this from Samsung, so it's easily fixable. Just make sure you actually do the fix.

Install a new OS. You can get the key via a program to download then enter it when you download the new OS. It is not illegal. You have to call Microsoft and explain you got a new hard drive and they a will activate it. 

So do i delete(or format) the hard-drive contents and then do a fresh install of windows on the ssd

What do you mean jack i have the old key or activation code written down and accessible 

What do you mean jack i have the old key or activation code written down and accessible 

Then you're fine. You don't even need to do a reformat (the windows install will do that for you when you're deciding where to install and such). Again, just make sure that you don't over-write the data you're trying to keep, and only install to your new SSD. Be very careful NOT to mix up your drives! If it were me, I would unplug the SATA connection on the drive with the data I wanted to keep while you're doing your Windows install just to be safe.

As everybody already told you what to do, I want to give you a bit of Advice. Even if you are not a millionaire, don't buy used SSD's, especially not EVO Series or other Consumer Grade ones. They could fail and then your date is gone.

Then you're fine. You don't even need to do a reformat (the windows install will do that for you when you're deciding where to install and such). Again, just make sure that you don't over-write the data you're trying to keep, and only install to your new SSD. Be very careful NOT to mix up your drives! If it were me, I would unplug the SATA connection on the drive with the data I wanted to keep while you're doing your Windows install just to be safe.

So should i just unhook the hard-drive for the installation process, just to be sure?

and what about the windows files on the hardrive?

Your motherboard BIOS settings determine which drive you boot to, so having windows installed on both doesn't really matter. Yes you're not making as efficient use of space, but whatever. I wouldn't remove the drive, just yoink the cable real quick while installing (some SATA connectors do have a locking mechanism) and plug it back in. No real disassembly required. If you're confident you wont get the drives mixed up during the install, then there's really no need, but I just recommend this to newbies because you do end up risking losing all your data if you get it wrong.

Ok so trying to get the firmware update and it says I do not have a samsung drive available or it is a locked drive. In the drop down menu they Samsund drive 840 evo is diplayed but gives me that error when i try to click on it.

You don't really need to update the firmware. Nobody does that.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

You don't really need to update the firmware. Nobody does that.

For the 840 Evo you do. They have a firmware problem out of the box that needs to be fixed.

Ok so trying to get the firmware update and it says I do not have a samsung drive available or it is a locked drive. In the drop down menu they Samsund drive 840 evo is diplayed but gives me that error when i try to click on it.

I have no idea what's going on with this. I've never had to do this myself so I'm out of my element.

OK so new problem or barrier. I went to install the os windows 8.1 pro onto the ssd without the firmware. I can make a new partition on my SSD giving me 111.2 GB of space. Now windows won't install on that partition because i get a warning like " Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

How do i solve this?

Delete all partitions on the SSD, then just select it completely unpartitioned and the Windows installer will automatically make the partitions it needs.

See that delete button? Every partition on Drive 0 needs to be deleted. All of them (assuming Drive 0 is your SSD, again make sure you get this right). THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE. Then you'll see something like:

Drive 0 (unallocated)

Select that and go from there.

I am installing from a Flash drive so those partitions might be from that. not sure tho...

Well, unless your flash drive is around 120 GB, then that Drive 0 in your picture is not your flash drive. I also doubt it would have partitions like that.

Windows uses a different partition table than UNIX (GPT). You'll probably need to reformat. This will create a new partition table.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

BTW make sure your USB drive is in a USB *2.0* slot. Windows hates USB 3.0 until it's actually installed.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Thanks alot guys. I now have windows running on this with the ssd. thankyou for all the help.