Need PSU for 290X lightning CF

kev507
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

Also, I've seen that PSU's like the EVGA G2 come with some cables that are 6+2 and others that are 6+2 and 6 on the same cable to the PSU. Does it matter whether each port on the GPU gets it's own power cable, or is it okay to use the 6+2,6 single cable on these GPU's?

The EVGA 850G2 comes with 4 PCIe power cables, each with a 6+2 and a 6 pin. In your case with the 290X Lightning, I'd run two cables to each card. One for the 6 pin and first 8 pin, and the second for the second 8 pin.

Use the quote button to reply to people :)

Linus sold me on the 3440x1440 LG monitor, but my gpu wasn't enough to handle it in the latest games, so I'm giving myself an early Christmas present of 2 MSI Lightning 290X cards, but I need a new PSU, as my current one is only 650W. The lightning cards use two 8 pin and one 6 pin PCIe connector each, and I intend on putting a healthy overclock on them, but nothing exotic or unsafe. Also, nice looking cables on the new PSU are a major plus. 

System specs:
i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 1.27v

2x MSI R9 290X Lightning

2x 8GB G. Skill 2400 MHz RAM
Asus Maximus VI Hero

NZXT Kraken X60
5x 140mm non-led fans

1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
1x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Corsair AIR 540 Case
NZXT HUE rgb LED's

LG DVD-RW

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Linus sold me on the 3440x1440 LG monitor, but my gpu wasn't enough to handle it in the latest games, so I'm giving myself an early Christmas present of 2 MSI Lightning 290X cards, but I need a new PSU, as my current one is only 650W. The lightning cards use two 8 pin and one 6 pin PCIe connector each, and I intend on putting a healthy overclock on them, but nothing exotic or unsafe. Also, nice looking cables on the new PSU are a major plus. 

There's a sticky for this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/199255-how-many-watts-do-i-need-check-here/

The minimum I'd say for two 290X overclocked would be 850W, as a system two of them overclocked with overvolting can pull over 1000W.

"Rawr XD"

No. Just no.

I wouldn't trust an RM with Intel HD Graphics, never mind two 290X's.

Well you have that "pic" in your profile...

No. Just no.

Uhm, why? I guess it's not enough.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Yes, I've read the sticky, which calls for about 1000W on a system like this, but I was wondering about specific units, I've heard good things about Corsair in the past, but the only one I've used is the AX760, not the rm

Uhm, why? 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/why-you-might-not-want-to-buy-a-corsair-rm-psu

They are overpriced PSUs with mid-grade internals and made by CWT. Decent at best, but no competition for the likes of the EVGA G2.

Cutting it a bit close for comfort.

59320.png

Well you have that "pic" in your profile...

lol

"Rawr XD"

Cutting it a bit close for comfort.

CORSAIR AX series AX860  then. 

Yes, I've read the sticky, which calls for about 1000W on a system like this, but I was wondering about specific units, I've heard good things about Corsair in the past, but the only one I've used is the AX760, not the rm

1000W is if you're really pushing the cards to the limit, with custom BIOS flashed and cards overvolted. With a moderate 24/7 level overclock on CPU and both GPUs, 850W would provide adequate spare room for other components and efficiency. 

AX PSUs are good quality as they are made by Flextronics, but the RM are made by CWT, and are nothing to write home about. Either way though AX and RM are both expensive for what you get. For your setup I'd definitely recommend the EVGA 850 G2.

"Rawr XD"

Also, I've seen that PSU's like the EVGA G2 come with some cables that are 6+2 and others that are 6+2 and 6 on the same cable to the PSU. Does it matter whether each port on the GPU gets it's own power cable, or is it okay to use the 6+2,6 single cable on these GPU's?

The EVGA 850G2 comes with 4 PCIe power cables, each with a 6+2 and a 6 pin. In your case with the 290X Lightning, I'd run two cables to each card. One for the 6 pin and first 8 pin, and the second for the second 8 pin.

Use the quote button to reply to people :)

"Rawr XD"