Best Cheap MOBO for r9 280+ fx-6300?

Hi!

which MOBO do you suggest for an AMD FX-6300 (which I will overclok and use a third-party cpu cooler) and an radeon r9 280? I will oc only the cpu and the MOBO must be as cheap as possible.

It must have a heat sink, form factor ATX.

Thank you

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I have a r9 280x and fx 6300. They are on a gigabyte 970 ud3p Mobo. It's a great board for the price!

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

MSI 970 Gaming or a 990FX from whichever brand you want.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Hi!

which MOBO do you suggest for an AMD FX-6300 (which I will overclok and use a third-party cpu cooler) and an radeon r9 280? I will oc only the cpu and the MOBO must be as cheap as possible.

It must have a heat sink, form factor ATX.

Thank you

Again if you can afford the FX kit you can afford an intel i5 kit, here's the proof:

AMD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $212.94

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 10:15 EST-0500

INTEL

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.34 @ Newegg)

Total: $221.32

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 10:16 EST-0500

Needless to say the intel i5 is vastly superior in every situations.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Again if you can afford the FX kit you can afford an intel i5 kit, here's the proof:

AMD

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $212.94

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 10:15 EST-0500

INTEL

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.34 @ Newegg)

Total: $221.32

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 10:16 EST-0500

Needless to say the intel i5 is vastly superior in every situations.

Wow I didn't even look at the i5's. It would be a bit more expensive but I think I'll take the i5 kit. Thank you

Also: is the micro ATX MOBO size a problem or not?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Wow I didn't even look at the i5's. It would be a bit more expensive but I think I'll take the i5 kit. Thank you

absolutely not, motherboard is not important for intel CPU's they won't affect performance so pick the cheapest available to you...but be advised if you pick an haswell refresh CPU (core i5-4460, core i5-4590 or core i5-4690) then you have to go with a H97 chipset motherboard for compatibility out of the box otherwise the other chipset boards will work but will most likely require a bios update.

The core i5-4430 and core i5-4440 for example (or i5-4570 and i5-4670 as well) will work on ANY socket 1150 motherboard so get the cheapest available for those. (most likely H81 or B85 chipset boards, ATX or mATX is fine.)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

absolutely not, motherboard is not important for intel CPU's they won't affect performance so pick the cheapest available to you...but be advised if you pick an haswell refresh CPU (core i5-4460, core i5-4590 or core i5-4690) then you have to go with a H97 chipset motherboard for compatibility out of the box otherwise the other chipset boards will work but will most likely require a bios update.

The core i5-4430 and core i5-4440 for example (or i5-4570 and i5-4670 as well) will work on ANY socket 1150 motherboard so get the cheapest available for those. (most likely H81 or B85 chipset boards, ATX or mATX is fine.)

I've had to deal with H81/H61 boards and they're God aweful. I'd recommend an FX 6300 + 970 board any day over an H81 + any intel CPU.

You'd be better off grabbing a used Sandy/Ivy Bridge i5 + a Z77/H77 board instead. Remember even locked Sandy's and Ivy's can be overclocked by 4 bins. The Haswells on the other hand are completey locked down.

When I say H81/61 boards are God aweful I mean it. The build quality on all of those boards is absolutely deplorable. I've had two boards die on me and one board killing two power supplies for me. Ended up spending $150 on an Asus Z77 Pro and all the issues disappeared. Running for several months now. You also completey castrate any possibility for future RAM additions or multi-GPU setups with a cheap board. Really not worth the trade off.

I also find it slightly disingineous that folks on these forums always add a CPU cooler to an AMD build to inflate the cost and make the intel alternative seem affordable when it is really not. The Gigabyte 970A-UD3P is better than the gigabyte GA-H81M in every single regard. An FX 6300 can easily and safely be overclocked to match an FX 6350 on the stock cooler. And the CPU is plenty enough for an R9 280 for you not to witness any bottlenecking.

I would suggest grabbing an MSI 970 Gaming as the board includes plenty of internal fan headers, plenty of USB3, supports both CrossfireX and SLI and is a very capable overclocking board.

I've had to deal with H81/H61 boards and they're God aweful. I'd recommend an FX 6300 + 970 board any day over an H81 + any intel CPU.

You'd be better off grabbing a used Sandy/Ivy Bridge i5 + a Z77/H77 board instead. Remember even locked Sandy's and Ivy's can be overclocked by 4 bins. The Haswells on the other hand are completey locked down.

When I say H81/61 boards are God aweful I mean it. The build quality on all of those boards is absolutely deplorable. I've had two boards die on me and one board killing two power supplies for me. Ended up spending $150 on an Asus Z77 Pro and all the issues disappeared. Running for several months now. You also completey castrate any possibility for future RAM additions or multi-GPU setups with a cheap board. Really not worth the trade off.

I also find it slightly disingineous that folks on these forums always add a CPU cooler to an AMD build to inflate the cost and make the intel alternative seem affordable when it is really not. The Gigabyte 970A-UD3P is better than the gigabyte GA-H81M in every single regard. An FX 6300 can easily and safely be overclocked to match an FX 6350 on the stock cooler. And the CPU is plenty enough for an R9 280 for you not to witness any bottlenecking.

I would suggest grabbing an MSI 970 Gaming as the board includes plenty of internal fan headers, plenty of USB3, supports both CrossfireX and SLI and is a very capable overclocking board.

Looks like you got unlucky...power supply ruins motherboards, not the other way around...sounds like you've had a bad powersupply that took down two motherboards...i'm sorry to hear that!

H81 motherboard are just as good and reliable as any other motherboard, they are limited by the features they offer but they have the essential for gaming which is a socket 1150 to drop a core i5 in it and a pcie 3.0 X16 slot for GPU along with sata 3 connectors for SSD and HDD...and the core i5 is a superior cpu in everyway regardless of how high you can overclock the FX chip...and also the cpu cooler has been included to corectly represent the platform overclocking costs cause you'll need one of these with the FX and for the intel i5-4440 you don't need it.

I've had two boards die on me and one board killing two power supplies for me. 

A motherboard can never kill a power supply, only the other way around. Must have been a shitty PSU that died, what garbage are you running? I've got 3 RIVE's dying on me already, your point? At work we have like 50 PCs with H81's none of them failed yet, a friend who's managing a college network out of the so many PCs there only a few failed.

Ended up spending $150 on an Asus Z77 Pro and all the issues disappeared. Running for several months now. 

Did your 8320 perform so terrible that you had to upgrade?

And the CPU is plenty enough for an R9 280 for you not to witness any bottlenecking.

No, the 6300 will be a huge bottleneck for MMO's. The i5 is up to 100% faster in every game out there except 5-6.

The build quality on all of those boards is absolutely deplorable. 

Build quality is pretty much the same, pcb might be from more layers but that would only benefit overclockers, only a few components like caps/mosfets are higher rated but that's not necessary for a CPU running at stock. 

805713_v01_b.jpg

That's very clean compared to;

z97-AR.jpg

Not much of a difference. Soldering is equally good, caps choice seems to be the same just with a nice paint, chokes are identical, mosfets are higher rated, the dimm/bank slots aren't worse are they, socket isn't any different etc so what's left? 

• 2 weeks later...

A motherboard can never kill a power supply, only the other way around. Must have been a shitty PSU that died, what garbage are you running? I've got 3 RIVE's dying on me already, your point? At work we have like 50 PCs with H81's none of them failed yet, a friend who's managing a college network out of the so many PCs there only a few failed.

Terve!

Sorry for just throwing this in. But I had 5 dead MB in the past 2 years. 4 of them were "RoG Class" MB, I do not think that it is all garbage (in the sense of cheep stuff) that dies. And that was on a base of 5 systems I watch. (about 60% failure rate) I do not have other components that failed almost that much. A GPU that was killed by the secound last dead MB, a fan contoller and 2 H40s. Everything else was RoG or my actual MB.

Sayonara!