Why do I have such low FPS with my 290x on every game?

Go to solution Solved by Morpheus,

cpu bottleneck is what it looks like

I bought the 290x by XFX recently and i've been testing it out recently. I am getting worried because I am NOT getting close to what other people get with their setups. For example, on BF4 people will be getting up to 90FPS, however I hover around at 60. On the Metro Last Light Benchmark at x16 AA, Very High quality (highest), no motion blur, normal tessellation, and DirectX11 I get an AVG of 45FPS. Most get at least 60. I have no idea what's going on, I have 16GB of DDr3 ram at 1333mhz and a FX-8120 clocked to 3.6ghz.

I've had the GPU for 1 week, using MSI Afterburner during the benchmark it says that my GPU got up to 100% load and a max of 74 degrees Celsius, but with all my CPU's (it's measuring all 8) it's saying most topped out at 85-90.

Your CPU probably

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Automatic text color please!

How are your temps? have you recently updated your drivers? (if you have then try downgrading them).

How long have you had the card?

Might be your CPU causing it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

re-install the drivers

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

you dont have to post this twice.. (unless accident)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

FX 8120 bottleneck;

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I just updated to the newest drivers yesteday, I'd have to use MSI Afterburner I'm assuming to see the gpu+cpu load and temps during the benchmark which I haven't done yet, and could i just overlcock more or is it always going to be a bottleneck.

you dont have to post this twice.. (unless accident)

I think I posted to the wrong place the first time.

Oh, its all right if you do that by accident once in a while (i mean you do only have 6 posts so im sure they will let that slip)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Going to go against the grain with everyone else and disagree with the CPU bottleneck.

Wipe with DDU and reinstall the drivers

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

I literally JUST did this last night, and I did actually notice an improvement. 

You should ask a mod to move the original topic instead of doubleposting, which is not allowed :) thanks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You should ask a mod to move the original topic instead of doubleposting, which is not allowed :) thanks

This is my first time here, and i have close to no idea how this works.

What resolution are you playing with. If 1920x1080 with that low fps, your cpu will may be the bottleneck.

But if you ask me, I wouldn´t upgrade the cpu for about 10-20fps.

Try overclocking your cpu a bit or lower any setting that needs more cpu power.

This is my first time here, and i have close to no idea how this works.

Well im here to help you learn :D

When you have free time, read this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

You're welcome and have a nice day :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What resolution are you playing with. If 1920x1080 with that low fps, your cpu will may be the bottleneck.

But if you ask me, I wouldn´t upgrade the cpu for about 10-20fps.

Try overclocking your cpu a bit or lower any setting that needs more cpu power.

Yeah it's at 1080P, but the main purpose of buying this card was my eventual upgrade to 1440P. If my CPU is going to hold me back then I might as well return the card.

1. Could be the cpu

2. Could be the drivers

How to fix this?

1. Overclock your cpu (or get a new one)

2. Uninstall drivers and re-install them

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I'm sorry, but I can't read anything you wrote. Can you please set your font to "automatic"? I thank you, and my fellow night theme users thank you.  :)

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

1. Could be the cpu

2. Could be the drivers

How to fix this?

1. Overclock your cpu (or get a new one)

2. Uninstall drivers and re-install them

Since I uninstalled the old drivers (was at 14.2) then upgraded to 14.9 last night, it's not that. It would appear it is my CPU.

I'm sorry, but I can't read anything you wrote. Can you please set your font to "automatic"? I thank you, and my fellow night theme users thank you.  :)

How would I do that?

Keep the card if you want, graphic hungry games will benefit from it.

I would upgrade ram in future for more stability while overclocking cpu

Keep the card if you want, graphic hungry games will benefit from it.

I would upgrade ram in future for more stability while overclocking cpu

I'll probably upgrade the RAM once I eventually get the new CPU and Mobo. This is all adding up to be much more money then I planned on spending...

How would I do that?

Hit the orange "A" next to size. select automatic

hrfmRLa.png

cRypvGl.png

FWrJdvT.png

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May