How to SSD+HDD=HDD with some of the SSDs speed?

Torro
Go to solution Solved by Captain_Slow,

Raid.

PLEASE DO NOT RAID YOUR SSD WITH YOUR HDD...

sigh*

its not called RAID, it's called SSD Caching.

this will take your SSD and your HDD and combine them into one partition, and the CPU will figure out what data you use the most and place them onto the SSD automatically.

You can do this if you have an SSD, an HDD, and a compatible Intel based motherboard that supports Rapid Storage Technology.

compatible intel chipsets include:

X79, X99

Q87, H87, Z87, H97, Z97

Q77, H77, Z77,

Q67, H67, P67, Z68

here is step by step guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227655/how-to-set-up-intel-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching

It's NOT the same as RAID!

I understood that on a PC with an SSD and a HDD, i can take some of the space from the SSD and with it i can improve the HDDs speeds.

If such a thing is possible, how can i do it, where can i find a tutorial on how to, and is it worth it or i should just do write caching, and by write caching i mean what this tutorial says in the second method.

Raid.

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

Mainboard ASUS Maximus VII Hero | CPU i5-4690K @ 4.7GHz | RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB | Storage Kingston V300 SSD 240GB & 120GB, WD Black 1TB HDD | GPU EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0

PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 AX240 watercooling kit / additional 2 x 140mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED fans, 1 Cooler Master R4-L2R 120mm fan

Raid.

PLEASE DO NOT RAID YOUR SSD WITH YOUR HDD...

sigh*

its not called RAID, it's called SSD Caching.

this will take your SSD and your HDD and combine them into one partition, and the CPU will figure out what data you use the most and place them onto the SSD automatically.

You can do this if you have an SSD, an HDD, and a compatible Intel based motherboard that supports Rapid Storage Technology.

compatible intel chipsets include:

X79, X99

Q87, H87, Z87, H97, Z97

Q77, H77, Z77,

Q67, H67, P67, Z68

here is step by step guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227655/how-to-set-up-intel-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching

It's NOT the same as RAID!

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I believe you mean using an SSD as a cache for a HDD.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yes thats what i want to do us SSD as cache for HDD and the tutorial in nice.

So with a asus sabertooth mark 2 z97 chipset, windos 8.1 os, 120 Gb SSD and 1Tb HDD this trick is possible?

And is it worth it?