Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Resolution is just a variable.

"I can tell you the frame rate is rock solid on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4, 60 frames per second. That’s kind of the heart and soul of Call Of Duty. You’ve probably heard that for years, right? PS4 runs at 1080p and Xbox One runs at 1080 scalable. Which will scale from 1360 all the way up to true 1080. So 1360×1080 up to 1920×1080."                                                                                -Michael Condrey, Co-founder of Sledgehammer Games.

Source:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/03/cod-advanced-warfare-michael-condrey-interview-fans-were-demanding-something-new-4932358/

On the PS4, the resolution is said to be stable at 1080p with 60fps that is fine. The interesting thing is the Xbox One, 60fps is present but with a "scalable" resolution. Since they have to come to a compromise somewhere because of the hardware, Sledgehammer games has decided it will be resolution. The resolution will be set according to the intensity of the scene, on a "frame by frame" basis. It will always keep the strange minimum resolution of 1360x1080 and during less active scenes will scale up to 1920x1080.

Is an inconsistent resolution really the right way to go about this? There hasn't been much of a ruckus over games that have used this in the past, but is this really something we should find acceptable? It seems they are using this technology to benefit themselves rather than the players. With a max resolution on the box of 1920x1080 they can wave the 1080p* flag and just have to put the details in the fine print. Changing resolution on the fly seems like it could cause numerous visual errors. If the resolution selection system glitches, it seems like it would even cause its own performance issues. If it never scales down, thus not reaching the 60fps target, or it never scales up, thus never reaching 1920. You really want as few variables as possible since they can all create numerous domino effect type problems. This system however could be very useful in the case of new console versions, allowing the game to automatically scale with the better hardware rather than the developer pushing a patch that would leave out the people on the older hardware. Perhaps this is preparation for that very event.

During firefights you need clarity and consistency, as it is now this method introduces inconsistencies during these times. Snipers will however benefit from this system, since their clarity will increase while they lining up shots from afar. Personally if I were playing this, I would rather they lower resolution at all times to give the target 60fps. Hopefully changing what should be constants into variables as a compromise to hardware will not become a trend.

Well a variable is better than just a number. At least with a variable it can be anything.

so no more numbers now ? 

I guess I will just set my resolution to   X/Y = A+Ab (3* 4-C)2

hahaa... resolution is just : 
  X/Y = A+Ab (3* 4-C)2

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

at least they take their frames per second seriously. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Personally? I really don't care as long as the game is good (pro-tip: it isn't) - but even then it's on PC anyway.

But still, I wonder if they'll pull the "look it's 1080p*" card with 1360×1080.

odd solution but better that nothing if i cared about console ill take my fps over resolution any day of the year

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This is not tech news. This is gaming news. 

There is a gaming section for that. 

This isn't hard to figure out.

if mod cared about these they would delete/move the thread accordingly but considering it hasn't happened with the thousands of threads about this topic, i don't expect changes anytime soon

edit: and just as i said that it gets moved ¬_¬

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

if mod cared about these they would delete/move the thread accordingly but considering it hasn't happened with the thousands of threads about this topic, i don't expect changes anytime soon

To give credit to them, I have seen more recent threads get moved so its not like they don't care. 

Its that users don't care to read guidelines and realize that gaming news ≠ tech news. Crytek et al announcing a new engine? Sure. Tech news. COD not being 1080p or Ubisoft saying stupid things? Not tech news. I already get enough of this circle jerking from my daily tour of /r/PCMR, I prefer it not coming here as well. 

"Call of Duty: Advanced Resolution Wizardry"

It seems interesting. Honestly its better than just having the lower resoultion all the time. When you have fixed hardware, you just have to do what you can in software.

But I'm not really buying into the "the resolution changing could cause weird anomalies" thing. You have the same thing on PC with framerates and you can also change your resolution mid-game manually. For this, they just have to make it automatic and seamless.

As long as the coding for it is solid, then it shouldn't cause any issues.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

"Call of Duty: Advanced Resolution Wizardry"

It seems interesting. Honestly its better than just having the lower resoultion all the time. When you have fixed hardware, you just have to do what you can in software.

But I'm not really buying into the "the resolution changing could cause weird anomalies" thing. You have the same thing on PC with framerates and you can also change your resolution mid-game manually. For this, they just have to make it automatic and seamless.

As long as the coding for it is solid, then it shouldn't cause any issues.

The thing is when you change it manually, the game is re-rendered at that resolution. Many games have a hiccup when doing so. Such a thing would make the game unplayable if it were to hiccup every frame. If they make the code perfect of course it would work that's what perfect is, but we do not live in a perfect world. With games often having day 1 patches to fix bugs, perfect code seems highly unlikely.