CPU overheating in BIOS

Neeo
Go to solution Solved by Bigdaddy5414,

Many UEFI BIOS out there make the cpu temps shoot way up. Seen it many times.

I just build myself a AMD gaming gear with:

Motherboard: ASROCK FM2 A78M-HD+

CPU: AMD A8-6600k 3.90Ghz

RAM: 8gb 1600Mhz

GPU: Sapphire R7 260X OC 2GB GDDR5

PSU: 600W

Everything works perfectly in windows (good temperature, memory, etc) but when i go to Bios, my cpu temperature is rising from 45C to almost 90C in 40-50 seconds and i don't know why. I checked all the setups also i used "default settings" but without succes so, i need some answers from the experts  :).

Thanks in advance!

first check that the CPU fan is working

remount your cooler and replace the thermal paste with some MX-4

make sure you clean the old thermal paste off of the CPU and cooler with some alcohol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Make sure you have the CPU fan connected to the correct header on your motherboard. This will allow the BIOS to raise and lower the RPMs as needed. Also, make sure that the CPU cooler itself is properly and firmly fastened to the mobo in order to best transfer heat from the die through the thermal paste into the heat sink. 

Are you using the stock heatsink/fan or is it third party? Also since Windows is reading the CPU as fine and the BIOS is showing different results, visit the manufacturer website and make sure that your BIOS is up to date.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Make sure you have the CPU fan connected to the correct header on your motherboard. This will allow the BIOS to raise and lower the RPMs as needed. Also, make sure that the CPU cooler itself is properly and firmly fastened to the mobo in order to best transfer heat from the die through the thermal paste into the heat sink. 

Are you using the stock heatsink/fan or is it third party? Also since Windows is reading the CPU as fine and the BIOS is showing different results, visit the manufacturer website and make sure that your BIOS is up to date.

Yes, i use my stock fan for the moment because i run the system without overclocking anything.

first check that the CPU fan is working

remount your cooler and replace the thermal paste with some MX-4

make sure you clean the old thermal paste off of the CPU and cooler with some alcohol

I did that, without succes unfortunately.

Then on to the second part of my post: Have you checked to make sure that your BIOS is the most up to date version?

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

what voltage is the cpu running at?

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Then on to the second part of my post: Have you checked to make sure that your BIOS is the most up to date version?

Is up to date 8/21/2014.

I'm only suggesting these because the most obvious ideas have already been stated...

Are you using a fan controller software? I doubt it would cause this, but you never know.

Also extremely unlikely, your software and BIOS could be reading temps from two different sensors. I know Corsair Link and HWMonitor always give me different reads at the exact same time. If nobody can think of a better solution, see if using a different motherboard makes any difference (but only if you feel like rebuilding your entire rig on the off-chance).

I'm only suggesting these because the most obvious ideas have already been stated...

Are you using a fan controller software? I doubt it would cause this, but you never know.

Also extremely unlikely, your software and BIOS could be reading temps from two different sensors. I know Corsair Link and HWMonitor always give me different reads at the exact same time. If nobody can think of a better solution, see if using a different motherboard makes any difference (but only if you feel like rebuilding your entire rig on the off-chance).

The fans are controlled by the Bios, also i replaced the fan stock on the CPU today. As for the sensors temp, i tried everything on Bios...

take off your cpu cooler, clean it, add new thermal paste and check that the fans spins up at bios.

Jack Whitbread

Ultras0nix

this may sound obvious but have you tired running it with the sidepanel off? (you didn't post your case) and if you have a powerful blower fan or something like that laying around try blowing that directly towards your CPU heatsync, and i mean a powerful fan, not some cheap thing.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

take off your cpu cooler, clean it, add new thermal paste and check that the fans spins up at bios.

Like i said in the previous post, i changed the stock fan  (new thermal paste). With 30C i have 800-870 RPM.

this may sound obvious but have you tired running it with the sidepanel off? (you didn't post your case) and if you have a powerful blower fan or something like that laying around try blowing that directly towards your CPU heatsync, and i mean a powerful fan, not some cheap thing.

I have the sidepanel off, also i have a good fan on cpu. This one:

ID-COOLING-SE-213-Universal-CPU-Cooler-1

Many UEFI BIOS out there make the cpu temps shoot way up. Seen it many times.

Indeed! With a little research on google i discovered that i'm not the only one with this problem...Well it looks like there is no "cure" for my problem at the moment, anyways thank you all for the support. If i find a solution about my problem, i will post here.

Unless you're going into the BIOS all the time, then adding onto what bigdaddy said, it's just a thing with BIOS UEFIs, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're going to be spending a lot of time in the BIOS on that PC, then my comment is defunct.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

have you solved the problem ?

After a little help from ASROCK support, i managed to obtain a stable temperature (49-50C) lowering the voltage to CPU from 1.5 to 1.33 and rising de CPU fan speed to 1320 RPM (was 800 RPM).The question is: This temperature is normal for BIOS? I hope this information is useful for other people with the same problem.