My GRAPHICS card is drawing too much power from my power supply!

Frusko

I've had a problem with my pc for about 5 months now, Ive spent all of these months trying to fix it, I am resorting to help

I upgraded most of my pc parts in August (I upgraded my processor, ram, motherboard) However i kept the same Graphics card (GTX 660 2GB NON TI) And since then my pc has been shutting down whilst playing intense games, After 5 months i have concluded that my Graphics card is drawing too much power, I know this because i was using MSI KOMBUSTOR and it stated that my graphics card was using too much power whilst I was loading it with a test, My pc then shutted down after showing that my graphic card was using over 120% of the power supply's power?! Is there any way I can limit the amount of power being consumed by my graphics card, I have tried underclocking my graphics card and its seemed to work for SOME games, But not all of them, And most games ran fine before the upgrade, I just needed the extra processing power :P

My pc Specs:

GPU : Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB TI

CPU : AMD FX 6300 Six core processor 3.5GHz

PSU : I don't know the brand But its a 485 Watt power supply

RAM: 12GB

MOBO: ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3

If there is anything else you need to know Let me know

PLEASE HELP :'(

Check your temps, you could be overheating.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Just upgrade your psu.    And if you can't afford it save up and don't use kombuster. 

With that said there could be other issues. This is just a solution if you are sure its power realted

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

485 watts should be more then enough for that system, but your not sure about the brand so it's probably just a random number the manufacturer wrote on it. 

upgrade to a good psu before it kills your system

I've had a problem with my pc for about 5 months now, Ive spent all of these months trying to fix it, I am resorting to help

I upgraded most of my pc parts in August (I upgraded my processor, ram, motherboard) However i kept the same Graphics card (GTX 660 2GB NON TI) And since then my pc has been shutting down whilst playing intense games, After 5 months i have concluded that my Graphics card is drawing too much power, I know this because i was using MSI KOMBUSTOR and it stated that my graphics card was using too much power whilst I was loading it with a test, My pc then shutted down after showing that my graphic card was using over 120% of the power supply's power?! Is there any way I can limit the amount of power being consumed by my graphics card, I have tried underclocking my graphics card and its seemed to work for SOME games, But not all of them, And most games ran fine before the upgrade, I just needed the extra processing power :P

My pc Specs:

GPU : Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB TI

CPU : AMD FX 6300 Six core processor 3.5GHz

RAM: 12GB

MOBO: ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3

If there is anything else you need to know Let me know

PLEASE HELP :'(

I think your PSU may be slightly up itself.. 

tumblr_mdj9dcty1Q1rknrf9o1_500.gif

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Seems like a crap psu. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just upgrade your psu.    And if you can't afford it save up and don't use kombuster. 

With that said there could be other issues. This is just a solution if you are sure its power realted

It happens with most games i play :/ I was using Kombustor to see how powerful my pc really was, And thats when i figured out the problem

Check your temps, you could be overheating.

My graphics card doesn't go above 65 Degrees

I think your PSU may be slightly up itself.. 

tumblr_mdj9dcty1Q1rknrf9o1_500.gif

What do you mean? :P

Seems like a crap psu. 

It is xD but i can't buy one at the moment :/

Get a reliable power supply.

~600W should be fine and even okay for overclocking/future upgrades.

I really wish i could :( I have no money at the moment

Buy a new psu..

If only it was that simple -_-

My graphics card doesn't go above 65 Degrees

check your cpu also

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

check your cpu also

I shall :) Give me a moment

If only it was that simple -_-

The issue is that simple, your problem is a shitty PSU so when you get the chance replace it before it blows and takes your entire system with it. In the meantime you can limit the power target for your GPU thus reducing the amount of power it uses. However doing so will decrease its performance.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

If the nvidia software didn´t change, you can activate Vsync. what it does besides using a little power and limiting your framerate?

It saves you wasted processing power, the less your graphicscard needs to "work"/display" the less its gonna suck power. 

Set your games settings lower until you got money for a new psu and please get a branding psu with enough power on the 12v rails. your old psu can damage your whole system.

check your cpu also

I cant get it past 56 degrees

The issue is that simple, your problem is a shitty PSU so when you get the chance replace it before it blows and takes your entire system with it. In the meantime you can limit the power target for your GPU thus reducing the amount of power it uses. However doing so will decrease its performance.

How can i limit the amount of power?

How can i limit the amount of power?

You will want to find the power target slider in whatever OC utility that you're using and turn it down.

This is what it looks like in Precision X

e6df16d4ee.png

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You will want to find the power target slider in whatever OC utility that you're using and turn it down.

This is what it looks like in Precision X

e6df16d4ee.png

Would Precision X work with my Asus Geforce?

Would Precision X work with my Asus Geforce?

Yes, all of the OC programs work with any cards. There is an Asus tuner if you want one that "matches".