ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Worth the price?

CannedLobster

First off; I'm sorry if this has been covered but I looked and couldn't find a thread about this. Not here, nor other forums.

Anyway, as the title says. Is the price of the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q worth it? Here in Denmark a 27" 60hz monitor is about 1700DKK, the ASUS? About 5850DKK.

Obviously it's far superior to a standard 1080p 60hz monitor but is it really worth that massive price bump??

Side question: in my 'search' for a thread answering my question I found several people who said stuff like "playing with gsync on 30fps feels like 60fps" what is this? Why? Isn't true? Does the 'smoothness' of faun really make it that much better? I thought all it did was basically do vaync without a performance hit.

Just to add, 5850DKK is almost $ 1K. (984 USD)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I personally do not think it is worth the extreme price. Yet I also don't use nvidia cards, so I am not at liberty to say how g-sync feels. 

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Can't stress it enough.
NOT WORTH THE MONEY.
You want G-Sync? buy the AOC Variant, same shit different stink.

The Asus monitor does not deserve the 1k price tag. Absolute bullshit.

I hate it.

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

No, not worth it

The monitor is worth no more than $650 in my books. I don't care about g-sync. That, and the fact that it's a shitty tn panel.

Not worth the premium.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Can't stress it enough.

NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

You want G-Sync? buy the AOC Variant, same shit different stink.

The Asus monitor does not deserve the 1k price tag. Absolute bullshit.

I hate it.

You sound biased, I can't take you seriously, no offense.

The monitor is worth no more than $650 in my books. I don't care about g-sync. That, and the fact that it's a shitty tn panel.

Not worth the premium.

A shitty TN panel?? I've heard literally nothing but positive about this monitor.

Yeah that price is pretty normal here in Europe. It's 800€ (=1000$ or 6000DKK) here in Germany and that won't change for a while. 

If you have the GPU-Power for 1440p and the money to get it, go for it :P

I have a GTX 980, as you can see in my 'signature' - So yeah I can run the 1444 just fine.

A shitty TN panel?? I've heard literally nothing but positive about this monitor.

It's a shitty tn panel. You're not going to change hard facts, mate. Put it next to an IPS and you'll see.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

... Why?

You are paying 800 bucks for a TN 1440p monitor when you can get an IPS 1440p monitor for 300. G-sync isn't worth 500 dollars

It's a shitty tn panel. You're not going to change hard facts, mate. Put it next to an IPS and you'll see.

You are paying 800 bucks for a TN 1440p monitor when you can get an IPS 1440p monitor for 300. G-sync isn't worth 500 dollars

I honestly don't see the problem with TN panels. What are you guys doing, rolling around your monitor or something? When I use my monitor I sit in front of it it, so TN vs. IPS isn't even a 'thing' to me.

I honestly don't see the problem with TN panels. What are you guys doing, rolling around your monitor or something? When I use my monitor I sit in front of it it, so TN vs. IPS isn't even a 'thing' to me.

You know what? You sound like you've already made up your mind. Go ahead and waste your cash. You'll be sorry when the 1440p 144hz ips variants come out in a year or two.

Fyi, IPS/PLS displays aren't just about viewing angels. It's about getting amazing color depth without color shifts.

You sound biased, I can't take you seriously, no offense.

Biased? I love Asus, but this monitor is ridiculously overpriced and not worth it.

I work at a computer store and have seen and used it personally, and I was not impressed at all.

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

There will still be a slight color shift at the edges when you look at it straight on. Also, the colors are more accurate and vivid on an IPS panel. Even if the ROG swift was IPS, I wouldn't recommend it at that price point. But go ahead and buy it if you want, this is just my opinion.

Biased? I love Asus, but this monitor is ridiculously overpriced and not worth it.

I work at a computer store and have seen and used it personally, and I was not impressed at all.

You just sounded a little over the top.

You're literally the first person I've 'met' who was not impressed by it.

TN don't reproduce colours as well as IPS does. That is the TN IPS argument. Viewing angles is only an added bonus. With that being said, there can be good TN panels and bad TN panels. I have heard the Asus ROG Swift is actually pretty good (for a TN panel).

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

There will still be a slight color shift at the edges when you look at it straight on. Also, the colors are more accurate and vivid on an IPS panel. Even if the ROG swift was IPS, I wouldn't recommend it at that price point. But go ahead and buy it if you want, this is just my opinion.

I don't know if I had planned to buy it, but I'm currrently in a position where I can "waste" some money and I have this old Samsung "Syncmaster P2450H" 24" monitor and I just really want an upgrade that is a serious upgrade, not just more inches, you know?

The ASUS is so far, exactly that. 144hz (from my 60), G-sync, 27", 1444 resolution etc. etc. Do you know of a monitor that has al those things but isn't that pricy?

You just sounded a little over the top.

You're literally the first person I've 'met' who was not impressed by it.

Well you must meet people who have never used a quality IPS Panel before..

My Sub $300 monitor performs miles ahead of that monitor.. yeah it may not have G sync or 144Hz, but I have colour reproduction & precision, no input delays (myth).

To be quite honest, i'd rather have 3 of my monitors over the single Asus monitor.

I don't know if I had planned to buy it, but I'm currrently in a position where I can "waste" some money and I have this old Samsung "Syncmaster P2450H" 24" monitor and I just really want an upgrade that is a serious upgrade, not just more inches, you know?

The ASUS is so far, exactly that. 144hz (from my 60), G-sync, 27", 1444 resolution etc. etc. Do you know of a monitor that has al those things but isn't that pricy?

http://www.centrecom.com.au/24-benq-xl2420z-led-144hz-gaming-monitor

Buy two of them. GG.

Acer XB270HA and Acer XB240HA

How come that nobody knows about them?! They are 27" or 24" 1080P 144 Hz G-Sync monitors. Of course TN panels, but in contrast to the AOC's 6 bit, the Acers are 8 bit panels! It has Height adjust, tilt, swivel and pivot! Heck, even the 4K version of the Acer is better than the ROG Swag!

Acer-XB270HA.jpg

who cares...

I think it is worth it for sure. Coming from a 1080p 60hz monitor with no g-sync it is an upgrade in every way and pairs well with the gtx980. I can't go back now. This level of smoothness is currently unmatched, and certainly in a 1440p 27" monitor.

Well you must meet people who have never used a quality IPS Panel before..

My Sub $300 monitor performs miles ahead of that monitor.. yeah it may not have G sync or 144Hz, but I have colour reproduction & precision, no input delays (myth).

To be quite honest, i'd rather have 3 of my monitors over the single Asus monitor.

Right, some monitors have way better picture, colour etc. For example the new ultra-wide LG monitor is said to have absolutely *amazing* colour, as if it's an OLED screen or something, but it's not very good for gaming, so I've been told, at least. I honestly dno't really think that the ASUS having "300" colours (I know that's not a number that makes sense, just making a point) and a random IPS having 400, 500 or even 600 is that big of a deal for me. I mean, obviously I love colour, but unless I have them side-by-side, unless I've tried the more colours and then go back to less colours I'm not going to be (feeling like I) missing out so I might as well go with the one that has a ton of benfits aside from just pure colour.

Thanks for the suggestion but I only have room for 1 monitor and that one doesn't have G-sync nor is it 1444, nor is it 27" so it's literally nothing like the ASUS. The reason 1444 and a reasonably large monitor spoke to me was becaus I, like metioned, only have room for one monitor, or like 1.5 screen, so a large monitor benefits me in that it fills out the room I do have, and 1444 just gives that extra 'virtual' space. (4K isn't an option, I'm not interested in it whatsoever)

is there a monitor that has everything the ASUS has, only cheaper because it's not ASUS or whatever?